Sign in to follow this  
carbonbreath

reducing reactivity to sounds

Hi guys. I have always been extremely sensitive to external stimuli. I always get a powerful and unpleasant jolt of adrenaline and my heart jumping out of my chest anytime the dog barks, the phone or doorbell rings, someone coughs or even when someone just calls my name. I think this kind of shocking effect is probably bad for the heart and also triggers other negative emotional states. I was wondering if there is any way to reduce the intensity of these physical pre-cognitive bodily reactions,or are they genetically programmed and hardwired at birth?

After I've meditated for a while and in a good groove I tend to be much less reactionary.  The sudden bark or blast won't make me jump. 

Strangely its the same with brushing my teeth.  When I'm in the zone its impossible to trigger the gag reflex, but when I'm in a hurry or poor state of mind it triggers much easier.

• Like 1

Hypervigilance? Exaggerated fight or flight syndrome? Perhaps seeking immersion in cacaphonous environments and learning to relax in stages....treat it like a phobia and practice progressive exposure therapy while doing some type of calm abiding meditation. See all loud noises as dharma bells....

it is good thing you are sensitive to energy. but try practice to minimize taking in too much information from the environment when you dont need to. less analyzing and you should feel to have room for all of this "external stuff". wish you best

Sign in to follow this