Sign in to follow this  
Songtsan

Black Holes

Google works miracles sometimes.

Yeah, I know. But I'm lazy. What I get is mostly from the Science Channel and that is generally two or more years old before it makes it into documentaries. And this is in the evening when I'm trying to get tired enough to go to bed.

They are jets of matter escaping along magnetic field lines. The matter comes from the accretion disk around the black hole, where it got accelerated to a mind-boggling speed. It takes off at right angles before it actually reaches the black hole. At least that's the official explanation. ;)

The accretion disk is a new one for me. I am beginning to pick up on the concept of the jets being a part of or the totality of the magnetic field from the black hole. And I can understand them jetting from opposite poles as this is similar to how our magnetic field works.

The cosmologists quickly tweaked their model of the accretion disk to arrive at an explanation. That doesn't mean that it's the only one or the right one.

Yeah, I think "tweaking is part of the scientific model. Even Hubble's findings had to be tweaked.

That one also came as a big surprise to the researchers. However, bear in mind that the iron and nickel atoms are in an ionized state, meaning that they are naked nuclei deprived of their electrons due to high temperature.

Okay. That's more acceptable.

So you are suggesting that the matter/energy that exists in the Universe today was never created in the first place - it has simply always been there. Yes, there are a couple of theories to this effect. But overall, I find the concept hardly less challenging than the creation of matter and energy ex nihilo.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. I know, it is more fun trying to get something from nothing. I can grasp manifest from potential. That's Taoist and logical. If we could get something from nothing I could manifest lots of money but I haven't been able to do this yet.

I will always hold to the concept of cause and effect and 'something from nothing' just doesn't fit into it. There must have been a "Prime Cause" for something from nothing to have happened. And being an Atheist I cannot accept the idea of a God nor will I never personify Tao.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. I know, it is more fun trying to get something from nothing. I can grasp manifest from potential. That's Taoist and logical. If we could get something from nothing I could manifest lots of money but I haven't been able to do this yet.

Agreed. I like your use of "potential" in this context.

I will always hold to the concept of cause and effect and 'something from nothing' just doesn't fit into it. There must have been a "Prime Cause" for something from nothing to have happened. And being an Atheist I cannot accept the idea of a God nor will I never personify Tao.

Of course, next we could talk about where that potential came from. But maybe what is limiting our comprehension is our idea of cause and effect. It presupposes a before and an after. Without a time flow, it is not applicable. And that potential exists outside time and space.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

Agreed. I like your use of "potential" in this context.

Thanks. I stole that from someone but can't recall who.

Of course, next we could talk about where that potential came from. But maybe what is limiting our comprehension is our idea of cause and effect. It presupposes a before and an after. Without a time flow, it is not applicable. And that potential exists outside time and space.

Yep. And that is why potential is also called (by me) Mystery.

And yes, cause and effect requires a before and after. That is why I can't accept something from nothing. What caused nothing to create something? Contradictions abound.

And yes again, in the state of Singularity space/time did not exist. How long did Singularity last? Hehehe. Conceptually that is an illogical question.

That is why sometimes I use the cop-out of "Tao follows Tzujan". There was a beginning before the beginning and a beginning before that beginning, etc. Eternity flows both ways.

But then, if one accepts the theory that the universe will end in cold death then my entire theory is shot dead. (Luckily I won't be around to find out if I was wrong all along.)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this