Sign in to follow this  
woodcarver

Letting go of desiring success/fame

I would like to believe that something this trivial is beyond me and my coolness but this is something I'm really having a difficult time with. I can see how it impacts the quality of my life and I understand it intellectually but it's so deep within my psyche, I just don't know what else to do. I cultivate sitting and lying down. I also started doing zazen recently.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject? I would really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Perhaps try to internalize the awareness that these desires are learned. You didn't bring them into the world with you. They're baggage that slogs you (and many of us) down. They provide only short-term gratification, and hide their long-term effects.

• Like 2

Qi Gong

Without effort it brings you to the present.

It is not unlike Yoga, but unlike Yoga the postures are much easier and yet incredibly powerful.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Don't worry about it. Be patient.

+1

Stick at that cultivation woodcarver.

Ten minutes a day at the same time each and every day beats two hours played just now and again.

QiGong is easier to stick to than is Zazen when starting out IMO as you're moving.

Baduanjin is easy enough to learn and can be played in a short time every day.

Maybe keep the Zazen for a weekend 'treat'.

:)

I would like to believe that something this trivial is beyond me and my coolness but this is something I'm really having a difficult time with. I can see how it impacts the quality of my life and I understand it intellectually but it's so deep within my psyche, I just don't know what else to do. I cultivate sitting and lying down. I also started doing zazen recently.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject? I would really appreciate it.

With time comes the ability to let go of all that. Even when you think you have let go, sporadically it rears it's head again. I always have to laugh a bit at my ego at times like that. And vanity? Time itself helps you get rid of that problem easily! ^_^ Hooray for all the belly fat and wrinkles!

I wish you much success in beating that ugly monster (and I know you will succeed)!

This is the most helpful message board ever, thank you everyone.

Qi Gong
Without effort it brings you to the present.
It is not unlike Yoga, but unlike Yoga the postures are much easier and yet incredibly powerful.

I'll start today!

Why the ninja?

The regular smile wasn't on the main emoticon dropdown menu so I just went with the ninja

+1 Stick at that cultivation woodcarver. Ten minutes a day at the same time each and every day beats two hours played just now and again. QiGong is easier to stick to than is Zazen when starting out IMO as you're moving. Baduanjin is easy enough to learn and can be played in a short time every day. Maybe keep the Zazen for a weekend 'treat'. :)

That treat sure is some kind of crazy wall torture. I'm not able to do same time every day but I don't mind daily cultivation for long periods. I don't really have a social life or watch tv/movies/music anymore. Baduanjin has been added to the lineup :ph34r:

With time comes the ability to let go of all that. Even when you think you have let go, sporadically it rears it's head again. I always have to laugh a bit at my ego at times like that. And vanity? Time itself helps you get rid of that problem easily! ^_^ Hooray for all the belly fat and wrinkles!

I wish you much success in beating that ugly monster (and I know you will succeed)!

Vanity, success, you name it. You could say my sense of self is stronger than the average american... an ugly monster indeed. Thank you for the encouragement!

• Like 1

The regular smile wasn't on the main emoticon dropdown menu so I just went with the ninja

ah, ok. Well, just fyi, the ninja sends a very differrent message. It's the troublemaker, sarcastic emoticon ;)

Are the smileys not working correctly for you? That happens from time to time. There's a tech forum you can use for any problems along those lines that may pop up, feel free to use it anytime for any tech questions:

http://thetaobums.com/forum/14-forum-and-tech-support/

ah, ok. Well, just fyi, the ninja sends a very differrent message. It's the troublemaker, sarcastic emoticon ;)

Are the smileys not working correctly for you? That happens from time to time. There's a tech forum you can use for any problems along those lines that may pop up, feel free to use it anytime for any tech questions:

http://thetaobums.com/forum/14-forum-and-tech-support/

Oh crap sorry everyone I just thought the ninja was cool!

• Like 1

Haha no worries :-)

The sunglasses are cool, but I'm on my phone right now and can't do anything cool...

Oh ok. It must be important B)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this