4bsolute

What is Gratitude?

My perspective is that Life and 'God' are One. We're it. That's what I mean when I think of non-duality.

Admiration would seem to indicate that it is one thing admiring another, unless you're talking about self-admiration and all the ramifications that involves. It actually could be seen in a non-dual way, if you're including Self within the One.

Do stop banging you head, oh Flat Foreheaded one.

My perspective is that Life and 'God' are One. We're it. That's what I mean when I think of non-duality.

Admiration would seem to indicate that it is one thing admiring another, unless you're talking about self-admiration and all the ramifications that involves. It actually could be seen in a non-dual way, if you're including Self within the One.

Do stop banging you head, oh Flat Foreheaded one.

Heh. Well I guess the flat-foreheadedness has to do with my user image (and maybe much else besides that I don't notice).

But no, my mention of admiration was not meant to really be admirous of anything external. It goes to my initial response that gratitude is relief.

We're relieved that we don't have to contend. We're relieved that in any struggle where we would deem the struggle worthy (where we would actively develop struggle) is where the Tao is laid before us waiting for our realisation. We're relieved by the fact that anything we agree with, Tao has set the terms for (and likewise voided the course of anything different). We're relieved by any struggle where to maintain what is there is neutered by what maintains itself. We're relieved by the fact that knowledge of Tao in itself is to overcome anything not Tao (if anything else anything can actually be known).

Removing all opposition to what we are is the same as revealing all that we are.

So no, I'm not one for the dual stuff. Tao is in our bones.

But admiration? Definately.

(Maybe that's off OP... don't remember what it was... it's late and i'm going to bed...)

Edited by nestentrie
  • Like 1

Very nice explanation!

I see exactly what you're saying. It seems to me that gratitude is a 'feeling' as well as being a state of mind. The best gratitude is when the feeling and the admiration are felt simultaneously, IMO.

Uh oh. The dreaded dual... Or is it just me that finds myself banging my head against the wall when I heard that term? :D

Maybe I'd be grateful if I didn't have to think about it. ;):)

Head.... Wall

Classic dualism.

Lose the wall and save your head some pain.

:)