Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

I miss rain

I live in the desert too, in Southern Nevada. We get 1 oe 2 thunderstorms a year if we are lucky. I miss it terribly. I used to love to watch the storms roll in from off the Great Lakes. You could enjoy their approach from miles away, tons of thunder and lightning, and the air so charged with negative ions your whole body felt so alive!! And the smell....

My long time buddy used to live on the 21st floor of a building on the outskirts of downtown Mpls facing North. We would sit on his balcony smokin and drinkin during the thunderstorms watching the lightning strikes... Last time I heard thunder was over three years ago.

I didn't miss the rain today. Got a nice rain. Filled 27 of my storage barrels. That will do the ponds and gardens for eight days.

• Like 1

Everyone here (and in western WA state) always complains about to much rain. At least it brings the most awesome forests ever. My California friends kept trying to take me to "forests"... yeah those don't count ;).

• Haha 1

Yes, I must agree that Washington, and even Oregon, have some really beautiful landscapes. But true, too much rain. And true too, any forests in California south of San Francisco wouldn't even come close to those further north.

• Like 1

Yes, I must agree that Washington, and even Oregon, have some really beautiful landscapes. But true, too much rain. And true too, any forests in California south of San Francisco wouldn't even come close to those further north.

I flew up to Oregon for the first time recently to help a friend move to LA. The moment I got off the plane and drew a breath, my entire being lit up! I haven't tasted air like that except up in Canada and nothing so near a city albeit a small one. The forests up there are special.

• Like 1

Oregon's forests are a bit sparse, compared to here and western WA ;). Though much much more forested than California!

The funny thing is, I want to lead retreats up here, but no one (accept perhaps 2 people in this thread lol) would ever come during the rainy times. So june-Sept it is.

The many times (5) I was stationed at Ft Lewis, WA I had my own personal joke about the weather there. I told people to never sleep in the entire day during June, July or August because you would be taking the chance of missing the one day of summer.

Sign in to follow this