Ryan94

Why should I have a teacher? Or follow anyone's advice here at all?

Totally irrelevant. I was aware of this teaching, and its significance, but I don't like how you tried to dodge my original question.

How can I learn both everything, and nothing? Explain, please. I expect you will have an answer, as Taoists seem to always want both ways, to always have their cake, and eat it,

When there is nothing more to learn then you know everything. Right now there is nothing more to learn, therefore you know everything right now.

I say that YOU know everything. This brings the issue of self, and the refinement of self results in less of a need to know anything. When you do learn something intellectually it's got nothing to do with your real self. It's important with respect to creation but not important spiritually.

It's almost pointless to talk about. The whole point is to reside in the process of letting go. Who needs a teacher to let go? Everyone can do it. They just think they can't since it usually takes a long time to get anywhere.

If you think there is anything to gain from Taoism you're sadly mistaken. You only learn how to lose.

• Like 2

Self-refinement is giving up all hope (which is basically a selfish device), and accepting the good inherent in the situation you find yourself in.

Anyone can do that in benign conditions. Who can do that when one's life hangs in the balance? When the situation calls for sticking your neck out because everyone is thinking off with her head, you can just do it— but to do it with grace and power is up to you according to the time (if you possess grace and power).

I've seen recreational philosophers on this forum make a show of their controlled exit accompanied by a parting shot to somehow offset the fact that everyone knows their goose is already cooked. I'm not talking about that kind of facetious act.

If you know it's your head on the block, then it follows that there is a precise time for this to occur. Unless you are already resting in the highest good according to the potential inherent in the situation itself, you cannot transcend the change.

You don't need to know anything to accomplish this.

Right now you have no power, no virtue, no place to rest.

I'd make that job number one. Find that place to rest, and come from that place in all your endeavors, including this one.

• Like 3

"Why should I have a teacher? Or follow anyone's advice here at all?"

Thats the part of the equasion YOU are expected to answer.

Do you want someone to tell you what your motivations and methods are to be? or

do you expect salemanship regarding what the 'teacher' would offer you free of charge?

Please please potential student , you really need to listen to me ,so I can help you with issues you dont feel you have!

If "Finding the Tao without all the New Age/superstitious spirituality nonsense added" , is your interest , then it would make sense for you to either , 1 , seek the assistance of someone you have faith in or respect for regarding the subject of your interest. or 2 ,,, ( If no one here or there ,satisfies that equasion for you ) you're left with trying to figure everything out for yourself.

If you have not already figured everything out for yourself,, as it seems youve already indicated.. then it must be that some of what you dont already know or accept currently valid , you either -will eventually be taught , or you will never reach your own goal of learning.

So in order to reach your goal , you are going to have to admit what it is you are 'wrong' about.

( and thats true for anyone , not just you , and no one really finds that very pleasant ,, one might prefer the resolution , but not the originally being wrong part )

So what is it that you think youre wrong about?

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Follow it to see if it's worth following. If it's not, stop following it. If it is, congratulations.

If you're following advice of people on the internet just because they said to, I'd say that's not a good operation method.

You like the teachings of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu. Great. There are many many ancient teachers and books to learn similar lessons from, with varying styles of explanation. Some of those have lead to practices deemed by billions (throughout history) to help one integrate those lessons into their being and actions. They might not be for you, but there are reasons they have endured for centuries.

I'd say, try to keep your cup empty so that it can be filled, but be careful about leaving it unattended.