mantis

vegan & being full.

Eating beans will give a satisfied feeling

Beans are prone to bloat the system with excess wind, which can be uncomfortable, unhealthy and could lead to some embarrassment. :lol:

I do like beans.... fresh snake beans, french beans, long beans etc are all yummy when steamed and then rolled in a bit of butter and a sprinkle of black pepper! Also nice in spicy curries which i am a real sucker for... the spicier the better haha! To avoid excess buildup of wind i find adding some ginger to the diet helps effectively.

One fantastic bean-like veg which i really like (extremely nutritious) and which does not cause wind buildup is the Okra. Lovely steamed, or stir-fried with chillies, lemongrass, cooked tofu and a dash of fish sauce, or can be added to curries to lend a really authentic feel to the dish. Love it!

Some proposed benefits of eating Okra: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/okra.html

And, they're so very easy to grow too! Dont require much space and they produce pods very quickly and consistently.

Small tip.

Beans are prone to bloat the system with excess wind, which can be uncomfortable, unhealthy and could lead to some embarrassment. :lol:

I do like beans.... fresh snake beans, french beans, long beans etc are all yummy when steamed and then rolled in a bit of butter and a sprinkle of black pepper! Also nice in spicy curries which i am a real sucker for... the spicier the better haha! To avoid excess buildup of wind i find adding some ginger to the diet helps effectively.

One fantastic bean-like veg which i really like (extremely nutritious) and which does not cause wind buildup is the Okra. Lovely steamed, or stir-fried with chillies, lemongrass, cooked tofu and a dash of fish sauce, or can be added to curries to lend a really authentic feel to the dish. Love it!

Some proposed benefits of eating Okra: http://www.nutrition...u.com/okra.html

And, they're so very easy to grow too! Dont require much space and they produce pods very quickly and consistently.

Small tip.

Don't eat too many and combine properly. No sweets for dessert after

Feeling "full" doesn't tell you that you're satisfied. It is probably habitual to feel full and associate it with satisfaction.

Besides that yea maybe you're lacking in some nutrients. Quality fats come from nuts and seeds with an emphasis on the omega 3s from flax or chia seeds. There have been studies that show vegans who don't consume fish make up for the lack of DHA by converting it more efficiently from ALA. Also know that the optimal ratio of omega 3s to 6 is 1:4-1:1 to ensure that you will be producing enough DHA from ALA. Just taking ALA is not enough, it needs to be within the optimal ratio. it also helps to get polyunsaturated fats which will not disturb that omega 3 to 6 ratio enough.

I find that the argument "vegans cannot get quality fats" and that "nuts/seeds are bad because of excess omega 6s" is actually not entirely true. Yes, the ratio of omega 3s to 6s in most nuts and seeds are not optimal, but it really matters the quantity of the omega 6s that we consume in relation to omega 3s from any other source. FOr example.... if you consume 4 tblsp day of soaked flaxseeds or 5 of chia seeds you can have up to a cup and a quarter of seeds such as sunflower seeds which have the highest amount of omega 6 of any other seed. As for the other one that contains quite a bit of omega 6 is the walnut... and you can have more than 1.25 cups of it without going over the optimal ratio of omega 3-6 intake ratio.

Carbs.. make sure you get enough carbs... but I'm on a low carb vegan diet. Actually... I read somewhere that higher fat diets curb cravings because the fat acts as a buffer making carbs slower to digest, and also if you consume less sugars and rely more on fats for energy you won't get sugar cravings.

Also I forgot to note that if you're not digesting the nuts/seeds well they should be soaked in water overnight with some natural salt. In nature nuts/seeds have a much higher water content than the dried forms found in markets. So this pre-sprouts then making them easier to digest and with higher nutritional value.

Nuts and seeds as well as greens and greens powders, and sprouts are good sources of protein. keep in mind though that when it comes to getting the protein from veggies I mean in terms of eating lots of the greens/sprouts. Ie one serving of greens powder has about 2-3 g of protein. If you take more than one serving it adds up. Also... I don't think high protein intake is necessary. I aim for about 30-50g of quality digestible protein. Not much you say eh? Well I've read otherwise, and Im not suffering any loss of muscle unless I of course just stop exercising.

Edited by Spirit of the Tiger

Also I forgot to note that if you're not digesting the nuts/seeds well they should be soaked in water overnight with some natural salt. In nature nuts/seeds have a much higher water content than the dried forms found in markets. So this pre-sprouts then making them easier to digest and with higher nutritional value.

Flax seeds can be ground in a coffee grinder and immediately added to fruit or green salad.

Much easier to eat and flavorful than soaked in water.

Nuts will start sprouting in water in a couple of hours.

I don't see any reason to add salt to the water or to anything for that matter