TheExaltedRonin

After really reflecting on some verses earlier today

I've really came to understand some things in my own way:

First off we have Ding and Jing Meditation. Ding meaning focus and jing meaning stillness. Many forms of meditation tend to mend the two together (which is cool, don't get me wrong).

I experimented. I made a topic a few days ago asking TTB members how exactly to perform Ding meditation. Everyone generally ruled against it.

Here's what happened:

I examined ding meditation to its most simple foundation. Focus. So, as I was walking I put expletive pressure into focusing all energy into the act of said walking. Mindfulness right? To an extent.

I believe (based off the TTC) that Lao Tzu and Zhuangzhi did not promote the typical sitting meditation for x amount of time.

However ding and jing meditation are reverently mentioned in the doctrines of old.

What happens if we split them up? Results. Using "ding meditation" in everyday activity is like pushing mindfulness to its limits.

Using jing meditation I believe one should not act unless required (yes, I paraphrased lol). Cultivating stillness in other words. So when for example you are waiting for dinner or coffee etc. Instead of pulling out your phone or reading the paper, just sit. Be still. Clear your mind through the physical stillness.

All just my opinion and its effectiveness to me. I do recommend try setting them apart rather than melding them together. See what happens. ^_^

• Like 2

Ding and Jing are essentially the same. Stabilization/settling and Stillness.

I think you missed the beginning of comment #5 here.

In my understanding of it at least,

There is a type of awareness in Buddhism that is not the same in Daoism. Daoism generally suggests that meditation requires not being drawn in by the hubbub of things. Buddhism says similar things, but also has different "means," which include total awareness of all the things. Perhaps the reason of doing this is to find stabilization.

In stabilization comes true knowledge, according to Daoism. I suspect Indian Buddhism had vipissana (guan) and metta for the same purposes.

Daoism teaches you to find the Oneness within, and that road leads to Ding and Jing, and "true knowledge."

I think most of the Buddhist exercises, or means, are meant to bring one to the same state where they can attain "true knowledge," "true reality." Perhaps its the same stillness and stabilization that Buddhists can attain with attention to the senses. Perhaps it's a more direct route. Perhaps it's a different goal. I wouldn't be the one to say, either way.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

I checked the wikipedia definition , (yes its an imperfect source... but anyway .. ) which seemed to indicate it ,jing medit., was in fact also a methodology with a physically still body , generally speaking. Involved with considering ones roles in the universe etc perhaps.

Checking on the other thread , I didnt see much antagonism to the idea either.

It seems to me , anyway , that both present opportunity to gain a broader perspective and see things as they really are.

I dont have a direct point in this post , just tossing words out there.

Using jing meditation I believe one should not act unless required (yes, I paraphrased lol). Cultivating stillness in other words. So when for example you are waiting for dinner or coffee etc. Instead of pulling out your phone or reading the paper, just sit. Be still. Clear your mind through the physical stillness.

This is the only form of meditation I do. I like to call it "empty-minded meditation".