3bob

Dangers of acupunture?

Henro,

In your opinion and experience what is the most pain one should ever feel or accept from a needle insertion that is done correctly? I know that such would tend to have a subjective range and or definition to it but could you also give an answer in simple terms ? (for instance should one's body ever shriek and then moan while jumping or bouncing up off the table in response to pain that feels like being jabbed in the middle of the back by a dagger? or should one's entire leg ever spasm and jerk in trying to get away from a needle insertion because of the pain it causes and which lasts for more than several seconds along with a burning sensation? And what about an acupuncture aide that jabs on inserted needles with some kind of heat gun that causes extra pain and irritation and doesn't back off when the patient squirms around in pain? )

It depends entirely on the patient. It depends on the nature of their condition, excess problems tend to be more reactive to needles. As well, their is the patient's own somatic sense of what pain is, what we could call their "threshold." Should the leg spasm? Well it certainly can spasm, while not the most common reaction it can occur. As for someone not acknowledging a patient's discomfort and adjusting the treatment, that has nothing to with the medicine itself. It is base incompetence and a complete lack of bedside manner. That is not the fault of the system.

• Like 4

It depends entirely on the patient. It depends on the nature of their condition, excess problems tend to be more reactive to needles. As well, their is the patient's own somatic sense of what pain is, what we could call their "threshold." Should the leg spasm? Well it certainly can spasm, while not the most common reaction it can occur. As for someone not acknowledging a patient's discomfort and adjusting the treatment, that has nothing to with the medicine itself. It is base incompetence and a complete lack of bedside manner. That is not the fault of the system.

That sounds reasonable and common sense like Kevin, thanks.

• Like 1

... another thing I found out (and should have known earlier) is that MD's that have some kind of acupuncture degree (which could be dubious) will get medical coverage qualification from providers for their patient's much easier. Thus it sounds like another big money deal via the power of the U.S. medicine/hospital/insurance machine, whereas a highly qualified and state certified acupuncture practitioner will often not be qualified for their patients to get such coverage!

Edited by 3bob

If the MDs are certified in medical acupuncture they most probably have been through the UCLA program which is actually quite good. IMO an order of magnitude more comprehensive than the chiropractor program. Plus, the advantage of comprehensive anatomy training. If the MD meets the training required by AAMA they should be qualified. http://www.medicalacupuncture.org/

I have had acupuncture by AAMA certified physicians that was as good as any I had in China.

Kevin is absolutely right. Completely depends on the patient. The practitioner must adjust their technique and needle placement based on the patient's condition, and needle sensitivity. Assessing this starts during the initial intake, taking in their past experience with TCM, their symptoms and constitution, and more..... I start with the baby points, the ones that the majority of people can handle with minimal to no discomfort, and build my treatment from there. There are some points that are just sensitive on everyone, so I stay away from those until we've built up a level of trust. That may happen in the first 15 minutes, or several appointments down the line, again depending on the patient.

As an example I've had a couple patients that are extremely needle sensitive. They jump off the table even with acupressure, they'll scream, curse, take huge deep breaths with every needle. But in they end they're willing to go through the process, and love the results. Others, I can dig in with long needles, and rarely a peep from them. Everyone is different, there is no one size fits all.....

Depth does not always correspond to pain. At GB30 one could go 3" and still not feel pain. Depends on the point.....

yup, li4 is another one, like sticking the needle in a stick of butter.

yamu, had to lol about the SI points :lol: I think having ruptured that disc in my back all those years ago I just have a fantastic ability to unplug and disconnect from those signals, as long as I know its coming I can just acknowledge the signal and disregard its intensity. (of course that one will have its limit too :lol: )

Anybody know about cupping? As in how long should it be done, or how bad of red ring marks should it leave?

Anybody know about cupping? As in how long should it be done, or how bad of red ring marks should it leave?

Originally the cup were left on untie they fall off.

The ring color after depend in the condition, a person train in cupping therapy will be able to read and prescribe homework.

If the color and bruises stay for more the 3 day most likely the practitioner didn't reconnect the meridians.