TheExaltedRonin

What is the most popular definition of "oneness" in taoism?

i am wrong about Te? or about how subjectivity almost always trumps objectivity?

please continue

http://thetaobums.com/topic/18839-unity/

Well , that which is true , isnt really funny , nor is it biased for pleasant.

The self congratulatory ideas about integrity and sincerity are fabrications that people like , but dont exist outside of that. It isnt stupid to embrace feel good things at the expense of dry truth , but that doesnt make an understanding of truth to be wrong either.

I dont know what the redirect is supplying , something in particular?

Edited by Stosh

Well , that which is true , isnt really funny , nor is it biased for pleasant.

The self congratulatory ideas about integrity and sincerity are fabrications that people like , but dont exist outside of that. It isnt stupid to embrace feel good things at the expense of dry truth , but that doesnt make an understanding of truth to be wrong either.

I dont know what the redirect is supplying , something in particular?

the redirect is for the OP

how do you get that integrity and sincerity are self congratulatory?

from my pov, integrity, authentic, and sincerity are aligned with truth.

• Like 1

the redirect is for the OP

how do you get that integrity and sincerity are self congratulatory?

from my pov, integrity, authentic, and sincerity are aligned with truth.

Well truth just IS , so what are the labels for , if not so people can feel they fit in a category that they approve of?

Wanting to have such labels , or trying to live up to them , or judging others regarding their possession of such labels..

1 biases ones behaviors away from what they would have done without the labels 2 incurrs negative judgements and attitudes about others who may not fit those labels 3 indicates a potential dissatisfaction about oneself or lack of tolerance for the behaviors they might exhibit.

Comparatively , my cat , a completely natural thing , doesnt care at all for integrity , sincerity , authenticity ,, and yet could justifiably be said by someone exhibiting a dualistic worldview , to be inpossession of all three traits. but she just IS.

This is typical of the ironic spiritual lesson , as I see it , of taoism. But I dont think its the tyical view of buddhist or shamanistic taoism , which is highly dualistic IMPO.

Well truth just IS , so what are the labels for , if not so people can feel they fit in a category that they approve of?

Wanting to have such labels , or trying to live up to them , or judging others regarding their possession of such labels..

1 biases ones behaviors away from what they would have done without the labels 2 incurrs negative judgements and attitudes about others who may not fit those labels 3 indicates a potential dissatisfaction about oneself or lack of tolerance for the behaviors they might exhibit.

Comparatively , my cat , a completely natural thing , doesnt care at all for integrity , sincerity , authenticity ,, and yet could justifiably be said by someone exhibiting a dualistic worldview , to be inpossession of all three traits. but she just IS.

This is typical of the ironic spiritual lesson , as I see it , of taoism. But I dont think its the tyical view of buddhist or shamanistic taoism , which is highly dualistic IMPO.

life and death is dualistic, the one is existence. Tao gave birth to existence.

integrity, authenticity, and sincerity --to be an authentic sincere integrity-- will be indifferent and not concerned with labels.

they are certainly not self congratulatory, they do not aggrandize. they are not narcissitic. they just are what they are.

your cat is likely sincere, authentic, and has integrity of a cat. it probably does not over think simple labels.

or try to ascribe anything relating to them.

why would you think the default setting for any label incurs a negative judgement?

(fwiw. i am not a shamanistic Taoist.)

life and death is dualistic, the one is existence. Tao gave birth to existence.

integrity, authenticity, and sincerity --to be an authentic sincere integrity-- will be indifferent and not concerned with labels.

they are certainly not self congratulatory, they do not aggrandize. they are not narcissitic. they just are what they are.

your cat is likely sincere, authentic, and has integrity of a cat. it probably does not over think simple labels.

or try to ascribe anything relating to them.

why would you think the default setting for any label incurs a negative judgement?

(fwiw. i am not a shamanistic Taoist.)

One need not choose negative vs positive illusion based attitudes, about such things,,

the paradigm has an opt-out clause.

To embrace and accept all that there is which includes traffic laws, taxes, mother-in-laws, rattlesnakes, and rain .. as well as sunny days ,apple pie, social justice and insincerity.

One could also refute it all , refute that there is reality , refute distinctions between things, refute meaning, purpose, life, and free will. But thats a bummer.

The balanced true view ,which is not a bummer,, is that while the external objective material world ( for lack of better terms) doesnt have bias nor sincerity nor mercy or love .. humans do.

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”

Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

Edited by Stosh