GrandTrinity

Is buddhism dangerous?

In Buddhism and Daoist cultivation, there are teachings that are accessible to anyone who would like them. Those teachings are fundamental prcatices. But not all of the teachings are for everyone. The reason being one's personal character and most importantly one's manner and level of cultivation.

Peace and Happiness,

Aiwei

there is a point in cultivation

where the mirror is smashed

for there is nothing to reflect

peace,

paul

peace,

paul

At that point,

there is no need for Dharma.

peace,

paul

It is because of his expertise in the art of smashing mirrors,

that the Buddha is so dangerous :D

Peace,

ZenB

It is because of his expertise in the art of smashing mirrors,

that the Buddha is so dangerous :D

Peace,

ZenB

It is a good dangerous.. hahaha

It is the dangerous that only the demons fear most.

People don't fear...it is the conditions they harbour which result in

their experiencing of fear. It is unnatural to fear, but natural for certain conditions to result in fear,

Peace,

Aiwei

People don't fear...it is the conditions they harbour which result in

their experiencing of fear.

Hmmmm.

Now that's an interesting concept.

Personally I don't fear much. That just kind of happened over time and I'm not sure why. I don't fear death - I don't even fear speaking in front of hundreds of people. :D

But I'm curious about your opinion. What is it that makes people cling to their perception of conditions that results in the experience of them as fear.

Hmmmm.

Now that's an interesting concept.

Personally I don't fear much. That just kind of happened over time and I'm not sure why. I don't fear death - I don't even fear speaking in front of hundreds of people. :D

But I'm curious about your opinion. What is it that makes people cling to their perception of conditions that results in the experience of them as fear.

It is the constant thinking and acting on that which is considered fearful. People have given themselves

thoughts about situations they are not clear about. Then, they accept other's views on those things, and from that ignorance also create other views as well.

With all of this piled on in their mind, they act, think and experience the function of the false thinking of things.

Originally, nothing fears. But with ignorance constantly entertained, fear is a result.

Peace,

Aiwei

On TV last night I saw a little mongolian goat having its testicles ripped out - it was trying to run away and sqwealing loudly - is that fear or just an ignorant goat?

On TV last night I saw a little mongolian goat having its testicles ripped out - it was trying to run away and sqwealing loudly - is that fear or just an ignorant goat?

Ignorance which results in fear.

"you" are fear

get rid of "you" no fear

ahhh but we fear to do that!

hahahahaha

now what will we do?

There is only one thing to do in that case...

Keep creating the result of the same thing that has been the result of ignorance, greed and anger.

Or, get hit in the head with a great old Chan stick !

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by 林愛偉

Ignorance which results in fear.

A goat is pretty authentic - is it capable of ignorance?

(I realise the initial over-anthropomorphism involved in my original question lol)

If the goat is capable of ignorance, does that make the animal kingdom ignorant?

I dont necessarily disagree - but maybe the value of ignorance is underplayed? Or maybe the the value of whatever the goat is ignorant of is over-inflated?

The main cause of sentient beings going to animal realm is ignorance.

That goat knew damn well that something "bad" was happening to him... & NOT that the outcome would be a physical change that could bring a more peaceful life (such as it is)... there was no "knowledge" of this in the goat...He knew that there was pain and terror at hand...

he had no way of knowing that he would be a calmer goat there after- or until the herders wanted another piece of him...

We, as humans, have a better grasp of what futures will arise from present cercumstances... or most of us could if we put our minds to it...

The ignorance that evokes violence due to inner anger is not the blind rush of avoidence due to real pain and terror that having ones' balls nabbed would incure...There are very different things to fear and/or accept in life.

That some of us can transcend the horrors inflicted upon us and others lash-out is the question here...

Are Buddahs teachings of "turning the other cheek" a threat to our well-being? Not if Karma is real to us... Other wise it is prudent to take that eye for an eye...

The main cause of sentient beings going to animal realm is ignorance.

Not sure what you mean here - are you talking about re-incarnation or something?

Your animal nature is the lower realm - it's the lower tan tien - it's connected to the earth and earthly wisdom - it's where inuition comes from. Shamans used to journey to the lower realm and find their power animal - which would protect them and enable their tribe to hunt and gather plenty of food.

Not sure what you mean here - are you talking about re-incarnation or something?

Your animal nature is the lower realm - it's the lower tan tien - it's connected to the earth and earthly wisdom - it's where inuition comes from. Shamans used to journey to the lower realm and find their power animal - which would protect them and enable their tribe to hunt and gather plenty of food.

Yes and no, reincarnation. In general animal kingdom is ignorant. But this isn`t meant ignorance like in an intellectual way, that they don`t know math or something like that. Ignorance more like lack of awareness, a state of sloth and torpor.

Those uses of primal energy of the Dantian are only metaphors, they are not literal. It is called primal because it is a raw manifestation of energy, but it isn't animal like at all. It resonates through a human body, thus has the refinement needed to be expressed through a human body.

Anyone can tap into that great strength, but it mostly comes out when there is a traumatic situation manifesting. Scientists view it as adrenaline. Some call it animal like strength...only because they can't get it whenever they want. THat doesn't mean that our energy is animal like.

Even though Earth energy is connected in the lower dantian, everyother part of the body isn't excluded from it. There are different expressions of that same energy through different toolsof the body, organs, limbs so to say. Each one can only handle a certain expression of energy and will express it according to its ability.

Finding one's power animal is a result of quieting the mind, vibrating high enough to hear the minds of the animal realm and learn the animal's ...gong fu as we say in Shengong when in learning from the animal realm, trees, etc. It is a result from proper will and intent. The dantian is just the place to focus on, but the intent is to learn and gain strengths from what ever source.

What we are talking of here is exactly not intellectual ignorance, but awareness. If an animal understood why it was getting killed, he would sit quietly.

Peace,

Aiwei

That goat knew damn well that something "bad" was happening to him... & NOT that the outcome would be a physical change that could bring a more peaceful life (such as it is)... there was no "knowledge" of this in the goat...He knew that there was pain and terror at hand...

he had no way of knowing that he would be a calmer goat there after- or until the herders wanted another piece of him...

We, as humans, have a better grasp of what futures will arise from present cercumstances... or most of us could if we put our minds to it...

The ignorance that evokes violence due to inner anger is not the blind rush of avoidence due to real pain and terror that having ones' balls nabbed would incure...There are very different things to fear and/or accept in life.

That some of us can transcend the horrors inflicted upon us and others lash-out is the question here...

Are Buddahs teachings of "turning the other cheek" a threat to our well-being? Not if Karma is real to us... Other wise it is prudent to take that eye for an eye...

The turning of the other cheek that Buddha taught was that of wisdom. How? In our cultivation, we may be able to awaken to our past expereinces. Knowing that what we had done before results in many of the myriad experiences we have now. ANyone looking for a life to kil is looking to settle a debt.

Knowing this, one can easily stop and put down the "I" that has a well being. In puting down, the simple act of being okay with it all may actually lead the person looking for repayment to awakening, or even a changing of mind.

There is a manner of well being in Buddhism, and it is of seeing all beings as one's family, elders as one's mother and father, etc. Keeping one's body healthy is a result of a healthy mind, clear and wise. This is being selfless for without a healthy body and a wise mind, how can one go and help others?

Peace,

Aiwei

Edited by 林愛偉

I think we are addressing two seperate forms of avoidence and or reaction here. One is of the moment and reactive to the physical attack on one's body... the other a manifestation of inner anger stored or acquired at previous states of being...

There are very different reactions and states of mind attached to these states of being. One calls for instantanious choices to be made as danger arises and the other is more contemplative and long-term in nature.

Taoism does not hold such a passivistic view of life. All actions have a place and time to be natural and non-judgemental in nature/attitude. The moment by moment reality is where we find our awareness of proper activity, being in the moment and accepting of all facits of nature . We then address the limits and extensions of our powers to live as best we can... There is little value placed on non-violence per se...As long as - It is not used as a force to coerce or inforce will... it is used to protect and administer just admonishment or the staying of excessive coercion from outside...

BALANCE is the key in my minds' view of these things... the "right and wrong" of them is almost irrelavent in the most part, because the appropriate response can be a smile at... or a blow to the head of... those we confront/share with... in our mutual reality...

I for one do not accept many Buddist notions of right and wrong action...the value judgements used are not my values.

The moment by moment reality is where we find our awareness of proper activity, being in the moment and accepting of all facits of nature . We then address the limits and extensions of our powers to live as best we can... There is little value placed on non-violence per se...As long as - It is not used as a force to coerce or inforce will... it is used to protect and administer just admonishment or the staying of excessive coercion from outside...

BALANCE is the key in my minds' view of these things... the "right and wrong" of them is almost irrelavent in the most part, because the appropriate response can be a smile at... or a blow to the head of... those we confront/share with... in our mutual reality...

Well said.

Though I would possibly say "consensual reality" instead of "mutual reality." Even with only two people I doubt a "mutual reality" can exist - perception being as individual and dynamic as it is. But when there is two or more people present we come to an unspoken concensus for the condition of our shared environment.

:)

"...consensual reality" instead of "mutual reality." Even with only two people I doubt a "mutual reality" can exist - perception being as individual and dynamic as it is...."

Though this is conceptually true - I also trust that the Oneness of Taoist precepts can transcend the individual barriers that our seperate realities dictate...In the molecular levels we are all one...( as I picture our shared existance in the quantum explanation, again only as I am able to understand it)...our minds and physical beings do indeed coexist as interchangable energies/masses in time and space.

The question of immortal spirit is another realm that may need to be addressed in these issues - be they trans-mutated in reincarnation or somehow morphed in a heaven/hell scenario can be argued ad nausium...

But as a Taoist (wannabe) I hold us all to be essentially one (in spirit) and individual only in the realm of our senses...

But as a Taoist (wannabe) I hold us all to be essentially one (in spirit) and individual only in the realm of our senses...

I agree with you on this I think. There is a meta-reality we all are a part of and participate in. And we each participate in it separated by the tuning of our senses and beliefs.

So each of us experiences the meta-reality (or the Tao if you will) through layers our own gauze veils of senses and beliefs. At a physical level, even the hue of color that falls on optic nerves is effected at least minimally by the hue of our iris. At a non-physical level the meta-reality is colored by our belief sets.

As a Taoist (wannabe) I'm trying to get down to the sheerest of gauze possible while I inhabit this physical vessel.

Peace,