gendao

Masters & Sites In Beijing?

I will be in Beijing for a whole month soon...

I've already been there before and have seen the major tourist sites. So this time, I'd like to check out some of the "lesser-known" sites, but with particular relevance to Taoism or martial arts. In particular, I'd like to maybe meet or watch some masters, find areas where intermediate or higher level students train and visit various historical sites...

I believe Wang Liping lives in Beijing...but is probably way out of my league. Not to mention, he went underground after the Falun Gong crackdown (it's rumored Li Hongzhi had studied with him), so is probably not too accessible. Although, I sure wouldn't mind running into him somehow! :D

One site that does look cool to visit would be Dong Haichuan's tomb:

donghc.jpg

Supposedly, this grave is only a mile away from the East Gate of Beijing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to check out Pan Jia Yuan (潘家园) Folk Culture (Antiques/Flea/"Dirt") Market at least once too and browse all the goods.

live_20070522211149.jpg

So, does anyone have any other suggestions or info? Of people to see, things to do, etc?

I know Beijing is a martial arts mecca and probably also has a good number of Taoist spiritual alchemists, as well.

Edited by vortex

Wonder if you can find any taoist robes hiding some place in those markets? Also oxtail broadswords and daos are a good find if you can get them back through customs. The pearls it sounds like your looking for won't be in the markets though ehh?

Spectrum

Plato says you can see people with all kinds of amazing abilities simply by taking a walk through the main park in Beijing in the morning. martial artists, gymnasts, all kinds of folks. I wish somebody would confirm that for me. I also wish somebody would videotape that so I could see. Hint hint. :)

I will be in Beijing for a whole month soon...

I've already been there before and have seen the major tourist sites. So this time, I'd like to check out some of the "lesser-known" sites, but with particular relevance to Taoism or martial arts. In particular, I'd like to maybe meet or watch some masters, find areas where intermediate or higher level students train and visit various historical sites...

I believe Wang Liping lives in Beijing...but is probably way out of my league. Not to mention, he went underground after the Falun Gong crackdown (it's rumored Li Hongzhi had studied with him), so is probably not too accessible. Although, I sure wouldn't mind running into him somehow! :D

One site that does look cool to visit would be Dong Haichuan's tomb:

donghc.jpg

Supposedly, this grave is only a mile away from the East Gate of Beijing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to check out Pan Jia Yuan (潘家园) Folk Culture (Antiques/Flea/"Dirt") Market at least once too and browse all the goods.

live_20070522211149.jpg

So, does anyone have any other suggestions or info? Of people to see, things to do, etc?

I know Beijing is a martial arts mecca and probably also has a good number of Taoist spiritual alchemists, as well.

Hi There,

I am in Shandong , Jinan. I have a disciple in Beijing, and will be in Beijing maybe in .. sometime soon.. Anyway... I know of one of my student's Bagua Teacher. Master Xu Shi Xi out in Tiantan Park. Google search his website. He teaches bagua out in the park for 4 hours a day.

I know you wont find Daoist masters out in China unless you know someone who is highly cultivated and respected in the Daoist community in China. The Daoists here are not open to anyone, and they only respect you if you have cultivation under your belt, and if they see that it is worth something. Then, you will find those who are looking to make an extra few hundred RMB and they will make up a form to show you.

I do apologize for such a blunt manner, but it is the truth. I had my student ask a Daoist Monk, who is like a mother to me, about lineage transmissions and Shengong. She only said meditation is the foundation, and it is different from Buddhism. hahaha Its the same thing I told him minutes before he asked.

My student used to be a Buddhist monk for several years. So, even if my student doesn't take cultivation deeply as I teach him, no matter how close I am to the Daoists, they wont tell him. They will tell me, but not him.. hahahaha Ofcourse I told my student any way. :P

The point is.. good luck. If you have fate withtheir teachings, they will find you out. And they do.

If you can make it to Shandong, it would be really fun.

Peace,

Aiwei

Edited by 林愛偉

Hi,

I am off to Beijing as well in 9 days :D

Posted this a couple of weeks ago; I would like to practice while I am there http://www.thetaobums.com/Taoist-Tai-Chi-i...jing-t3330.html

Any suggestions?

Would love to get to the Wu Dang Mountains but my time is limited to two weeks. Not sure how flexible you are with time or travel but that seems like it would be an ideal spot to meet or observe some Masters.

One historical site I plan to visit in Xian is the Terracotta Warriors. It is a little over 12 hours one way but an overnight trip, it will be a nice adventure, a good way to see more of the country side, will spend the day in Xian then head back to Beijing in the evening. http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#Beijing%20-%20Xian

I am considering packing my kite and flying it in Tiananmen Square, does anyone know if that would be frowned upon?

Thanks!

I havent been there but you can go to White Cloud Temple and the taoist temple on Finance street, fire something... used to be MANY MORE before the cult revolution...

I am in Shandong , Jinan. I have a disciple in Beijing, and will be in Beijing maybe in .. sometime soon.. Anyway... I know of one of my student's Bagua Teacher. Master Xu Shi Xi out in Tiantan Park. Google search his website. He teaches bagua out in the park for 4 hours a day.

I know you wont find Daoist masters out in China unless you know someone who is highly cultivated and respected in the Daoist community in China. The Daoists here are not open to anyone, and they only respect you if you have cultivation under your belt, and if they see that it is worth something. Then, you will find those who are looking to make an extra few hundred RMB and they will make up a form to show you.

I do apologize for such a blunt manner, but it is the truth.

No need to apologize - Chinese street cred is based upon your skills. Plain & simple. That's why I am trying to improve both my Han ur fluency and cultivation.

Anyhow, thought I'd just drop a quick note here. I went to the Baiyun (White Cloud) Taoist temple yesterday. Very similar to Buddhist temples, except all the statues of revered "gods" and "monks" on the premises had long beards, instead of just being clean-shaven. So overall, it had a slighty "darker" feel. Well, I'm sure there's more differences than that...but that was just the most obvious one. :D

I don't know if any of them were even actual Taoists or monks...but I'm guessing the real Taoists in Beijing are private citizens who don't bother dressing up like they still live in the Ming Dynasty.

Anyhow, it is HOT AS HELL here and I don't know how much more sightseeing I'll be doing - especially if it is not within close walking distance from a subway station. So, I think Dong Haichuan's tomb is out now. I'd still like to check out some masters in the parks, but I'd have to get up real early to catch the subway over to them (none of which is close by to me). Not sure that is going to happen, either...lol.