Sign in to follow this  
BaguaKicksAss

Punk's not dead

if your gonna play the grandfather of modern blues --robert Johnson who, before his famous encounter with whoever/whatever in the crossroads was a part time player, harmonica for Son House, I think the influence shows clearly. not sure why Son House isn't considered the father of modern blues, but I digress, this thread aint about blues, altho all music IS blues, except jazz,,,

but as I was sayin' ifin ya gonna post about the grandfather of blues I am gonna post the grandmother of punk

• Like 1

how did I miss this thread? Bad Brains, baby! I love I Jah

and a whole BB concert:

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

And, if I had ever lived out my crazy telecaster dreams, this is what I would have done. Check it out, all the way through:

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

And, if I had ever lived out my crazy telecaster dreams, this is what I would have done. Check it out, all the way through:

Haha awesome :).

• Like 1

Yep. They apparently got bad brains.

haha - I've also been a Robert Johnson, Son House, Muddy Waters, et al fanboy for like as long as I can remember ;)

here, an Angel who landed on Earth and then went his way:

• Like 1

here, an Angel who landed on Earth and then went his way:

Knives, bottles & steel.

The tools used for playing slide guitar. He used two of the three. His steel was hollow on the finger. Some are solid plugs. The bottle, of course, is only the bottle neck, not the whole bottle.

And yes, he is a great slide guitar player. Did you notice that he used only his fingers the majority of the time in the first song? Not much steel. Also did you notice the resonator on his guitar? I would bet that he had that special made.

another angel, just close your eyes and absorb the soul:

Yep. Another one of the "Greats".

Sad those guys earned practically nothing from their efforts back then. It wasn't until the mid-1950s when the record companies actually started paying them any kind of decent money. I remember that Bo Diddley and Little Richard had to fight tooth and nail to get fair pay.

Yep. Another one of the "Greats".

Sad those guys earned practically nothing from their efforts back then. It wasn't until the mid-1950s when the record companies actually started paying them any kind of decent money. I remember that Bo Diddley and Little Richard had to fight tooth and nail to get fair pay.

white assholes like Pat Boone worked hard to stop them coon boys from getting any kind of recognition for their efforts. If their whitebread audience ever found out where they'd stolen their musical ideas from, there would have been a backlash.

• Like 1

white assholes like Pat Boone worked hard to stop them coon boys from getting any kind of recognition for their efforts. If their whitebread audience ever found out where they'd stolen their musical ideas from, there would have been a backlash.

That is a really sad fact. I remember that when Pat Boone was doing covers of Little Richards' songs and the record company was pushing Pat's recordings but not Little Richards', Little Richard complained to his manager about it and his manager told him to just increase the tempo of his music and sing really fast so the white boys wouldn't be able to copy him. (And he did that.)

But it wasn't just the record companies but the radio stations as well. They would always play a cover of a good song done by a white person and not play the original recording by the black person. You might recall Otis Williams and the Charms, they did the same thing to him and he had some really great songs.

And then there was Hank Ballard and the Midnighters. He got a really big time screw job with his song "The Twist".

I could go on but I've said enough.

• Like 1

I could go on but I've said enough.

absolutely, MB. It is a huge injustice that has never been righted. There are just countless examples of the white music industry outright stealing material from the original artists and never giving proper credit or making payments, and never to this day making restitutions for the crimes.

here's another wonderful blueser whose art appears anonymously to this day in crappy white pop music:

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

That's an oldie.

But let's be fair, there were some whites in the music industry back then who did try to do the right thing and give credit and pay to those who wrote and performed music back then. But they too had to fight the system. And that is why there were some black recording companies and even black radio stations created, mostly by whites, in order to give proper credit and pay to them back in the late 1940's and early 1950s.

Okay, back to Punk.

Does anyone actually know of any good music that was written, produced and recorded in the Punk genre?

That's an oldie.

But let's be fair, there were some whites in the music industry back then who did try to do the right thing

yes, for sure. There were also good people in Germany, fighting the ruling party in the 1930s and 40s. But it was the system I was ranting about.

Okay, back to Punk.

Does anyone actually know of any good music that was written, produced and recorded in the Punk genre?

haha, you just don't get it, do you? :P

ok, try this one:

That album is incredible (It's called Banned in DC because that's exactly what happened to them). And by the time that song comes up, you really, really need the lovely interlude. But then the frenetic pace kicks in again right away .... woo hoo!

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 1

haha, you just don't get it, do you? :P

I will admit that there are some things that just go right over my head.

That album is incredible (It's called Banned in DC because that's exactly what happened to them). And by the time that song comes up, you really, really need the lovely interlude. But then the frenetic pace kicks in again right away .... woo hoo!

Well, little wonder. There are already enough bad brains in DC.

Actually, that song wasn't too bad. Especially if one likes jazz (which I don't).

• Like 1

the opening act of this very thread blink 182, afi, nofx,bad religion, anti-flag and green day, the offspring, and sublime are considered by critics to be punk, not sure what genre primus would go into lol

sublime ska punk with heavy reggae influence idk maybe they are surf,,,,anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyuIWfnf4Hw

• Like 1

another surf punk california band but i will add that trying to tell someone what punk is or isnt , isnt very punk lmao

cant believe anyone doesnt like patti smith? or consider her great music,,anyways

To Post #45:

That first one I would call Raggae. (I did get to see a couple bikinis. Hehehe.)

The second one, well, it's Rap but with a Funk flavor.

Edited by Marblehead

I was in the States when "Get Smart" kicked off. Enjoyed watching it.

The first song I would put in the "Big Band" basket. Could have been music from the 1940s or early 1950s.

The second one, well, yeah, kinda' Punkie, but general Rock of the times.

Sign in to follow this