From Masters of the Zhang Zhung Nyengud

19. Mugyung Karpo

"Once you have realized the Natural State, remain stable. As for all the visions and movements of consciousness which appear spontaneously, just leave them alone while you yourself try to remain as stable as possible and become familiar with this Nature".

:)

I think that this is relevant to discussions on Dzogchen:

http://www.vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1086&start=600

Malcolm: Most of the misconceptions about Dzogchen that people have comes about from making philosophical commitments to translations. You must understand that at this point the translation of seminal texts are in a very embryonic state.

At this point it, those of you who do not know Tibetan should reply more on oral instructions than on texts, in my opinion. I am not saying "do not read translations". I am saying that you must understand that translations are very provisional at best at this stage of the game when it comes to Dzogchen. The ground is firmer in terms of sutra and tantra.

But what I mostly wanted to address is the idea that merely because one has cited some translations, that one's point is well-backed up. It isn't. If one's citation is not well translated, one's point will be skewed.

• Like 1

thats one of the most helpful things Malcolm has said if you ask me

i have been studying Tibetan with my lama for the last 3 months, its an awesome language, and i look forward to understanding Tibetan terminology and reading texts.

I'm sure some people are convinced that they can learn from books, and english books, without transmission or really understanding Tibetan, but what I have learned about Tibetan > English translation already has convinced me that its hard enough to grok in a dharma language like Tibetan, and the translations, even cross comparing different translations to try to get a more developed idea about what is being talked about, is next to hopeless, and won't lead to accurate understanding in almost all instances of important concepts. Most people don't really understand rigpa and sems as I have heard and read rinpoches talk about them in english, and the rest of it is even more obscure and generally mangled.

Thanks for quoting that, I was going to do it, but I didn't want to jump in to this thread (or really any other about dzogchen, the natural state, mahamudra, etc) I really appreciate it.

Sure, which is predicated off of relying, first and foremost, on the instructions from a qualified guru. This is an indispensable aspect of the Vajrayana path.

• Like 1

Sure, which is predicated off of relying, first and foremost, on the instructions from a qualified guru. This is an indispensable aspect of the Vajrayana path.

Which comes after receiving direct introduction from the aforementioned qualified guru.