If you think you are better at teaching then go out gets students and teach your way. It's not an easy thing. My student will still practice and I will still teach. :)

practice to improve your selves not to prove yourselves!

.....And we call this is the virtue of martial arts(武德). The merit of this virtue works well mentally as well as physically; but the former has priority over the latter. My friend, I do sense that there is such quality in your cultivation.

Edited by ChiDragon

Hi - is this a an open thread? I'm very interested in Bagua, but have no chance to learn locally. I'll be attending a weekend intensive Bagua workshop end of November, taught by Peter Schwarz from Austria.

To the videos I'd like to ask about the shoes, especially in the first one. I think huge, puffy heels like those must interfere terribly with one's footwork. I would have trouble maintaining posture doing much simpler Qigong if I had those things on my feet. Shouldn't students be in flat, thin-soled shoes?

I really like Adidas Classic Sambas for bagua. Flat, stable, good arch support.

The sole has a lot of grip which takes some breaking in.

Bagua Zhang martial art is done fast. Bagua Zhang meditation is slow. You go fast once you have done it for so long. Watch any Taoist monks practice their Bagua they usually go fast.

Thanks for showing the two videos. I do see a difference in speed with the master in yellow. He has jin(勁) by showing a slight hesitation in his movements. From a point of view of a Tai Ji practitioner, I was expecting to see that little hesitation in the movements. It is most detectable from a master with high level of skill.

Edited by ChiDragon

~ Check Yourself 3X A Day Do you apply the Taoistprinciples in your life? Do you walk the talk? If you’re not happy go back and chew on your books and notes some more. Taoists are critical but later pat you on the back, validate. Lead the practice, don’t follow. If you are following then you are waiting to grow into heaven. Most of us follow life. A leader learns to follow the force and then eventually to direct the force. How do you put theory into practice? For example, with anger, are you going to follow it to death or to joy? Forgiveness is god’s nature in you. Kindness, mercy, forgiveness are our nature. Think twice in your heart, when you demand bonus from Tao, you just lost your credit. People who practice Tai Chi say: “I put my heart in you.” I have no ego; very spooky...then the world is beautiful and cheerful. The Three Treasures give you the ability to put your heart in someone else’s. This is the quality of the instructor. The smart instructor cherishes students. Teacherhas mentality of service – instructor is to serve. “I’m willing to serve you...that is what is so extraordinary.I will bend down to serve. Let me help you climb up.” A master is not self named. True virtue stature is to be awarded by putting you in position. Among any three people there is always a teacher. Empty heart and be open and empty. Check your behavior, wisdom, internals 3 times a day. Check your character, what is your present? Ask yourself “am I kind today, am I happy today?” See what character, what spirit you have presented today. This creates the wisdom for tomorrow. A conscious person does this. Check yourself every day then you never need a mirror to see yourself. We can then do better tomorrow.

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful! Take this as a gem, a pearl, the most precious of substances in this whole universe, and all of them. Value the above words. It is key ...very very key!

• Like 3

Hey, what do you all think of this video for a beginner:

I'll be taking part in my first seminar on Nov 23-24, looking SO forward to it :D

PS - I posted this vido to Facebook and a friend of mine said it reminded him of the movie Midnight Run!

• Like 1

Eeeeeer weird, honestly. There are many of walking the circle, but this one does not seem right to me. I spotted some important mistakes.

Not saying all is wrong, some points are right and well-explained, but the overall impression is not good to me.

There is a thread on this forum (Bagua help: look for it ;)) that is really helpful. Read it.

I'll be taking part in my first seminar on Nov 23-24, looking SO forward to it :D

Great. Which teacher/lineage?

Edited by baiqi

Great. Which teacher/lineage?

Peter Schwarz from Austria. I've attended seminars with him before - Shaolin White Crane and Chansijing - I don't know his Bagua history but I trust him to be quite authentic and traditional.

Thanks for the feedback on the youtube vid. It seemed like a decent, very basic introduction to walking. I like the guy's pedagogic style.

Edited by soaring crane