Sign in to follow this  
fluidity

Laughing and crying: two 'opposing' channels connected by Clear Light

If you want to really feel Clear Light and its workings, contemplate the source of your Laughter and your Tears.

Clear Light aka Source, is the direct interactor with the Shen when we are laughing or crying. It originates from the psychic centre/third eye and flows from there. We literally receive the laugh/cry as it is happening in real time, from Clear Light. Thus these are the ways you can experience direct communion of Shen and Clear Light without any exercise or happenings: just abiding in pure vibrant delight of Being!

Laughter is the heartbeat directly spasming against the throat fold.

Crying can be the opposite and ends up with water leaking out of the eyes.

I do not know the channels involved but I can say things from experiential realisation of Tao. Laughing is basically Clear Light hitting itself and causing the breath spasming effect.

There is a sort of YinYang => Yin within Yang, Yang within Yin, a very swift enumeration of the cycles.
Remember: yin and yang go infinitely deep like a tree, to the point you're looking at the Yin within the Yang within the Yang within the Yin within the Yang within the Yin, and its opposite, and etc ad nauseum

The corresponding motion and its complexity generates the rhythm of the laughter. The yin-yang current itself creates the oscillation of the breath and the opening and closing of the throat.

Then we may distinguish empty jokes and wholesome jokes. Empty jokes are little self-jokes that do not really generate Shen.

Wholesome jokes, are the type which feel like they are going to blow your abs out and you can feel them in your legs, they reach straight into the tips of your toes where you may feel a tingle from the sheer pressure.

There is an intense energy current and rewiring of the body and releasing of energy blockades. This is like a kind of ultrasound which basically bypasses the mind's fixed wired energy conduits (ego) and shatters the energy 'stones' in the body. So after a good wholesome laugh, you feel so much better! Your Shen is revitalised, that is the key point.

Crying is likewise Clear Light mediated. In the case of sadness it is the direct opposite of wholesome laughter: wholesome crying. This is cathartic crying and again, generates a revitalisation of Shen. Of course there is also the phenomenon of crocodile tears, which induce/amplify blockages.

So we have two types of the same flow:

Vain Laughter, Vain Tears
Wholesome Laughter, Wholesome Tears

Now there is a special point of intersection where they all meet! This is the place of tears of radiant laughter! How to get to it? I was at a point recently where I actively decided, I will now cry tears of bliss every single day.

So I did. For a whole week straight, I found one reason or another. I cried tears of laughing Bliss every single day, at least once a day but often many times.

You turn your mind one-point focused onto The Self and merge the cosmic joke of Being with total humility and knowingness of the true suffering and depth of Life. And somewhere in here, there is rapturous appreciation of Life, and the tears of gratitude shall flow.

Related thread: http://thetaobums.com/topic/24607-laughing-at-super-ego/

Has anyone else, during Secret Smile meditation (relaxed, confident, joy/laughing, love, bliss), started with relaxed, then confident, then, to bring up laughing-joy feeling: looking at the Dependent Origination Absolute of that relaxed and confident self, and laughed inside at how funny it is in Reality??? And then thinking of strong love feeling as the love that you feel for that self (that pwuoa widdlle swewlff) and all the other little Emptinesesesez [of Form]

?
  • Like 3

I kinda see it a little differently than laughter. The arising of joy. How to describe that...when the joyous feeling is so powerful you want to leap ten feet in the air and go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

• Like 1

This is an awesome post. I have been considering laughter and it's spiritual significance in my own life for the last few months. My problem is finding short bursts of wholesome laughter that I can access via some form of media. Most comics or web skits all immediately focus on sex, or vulgarity to provide the laughs. I am no prude but much of modern comedy doesnt make me laugh for this reason as I feel it pulls my energy down. If anyone has any movies/comics/books that they would recommend please do !

As far as crying is concerned this is an easy one to access via music that has a personal significance. The other day I was listening to Vivaldi's 4 Seasons and although that piece is popular there are certain passages imbued with such absolute purity and deep abiding hope (especially during the Spring section of children laughing, birds soaring,the clear light of breaking dawn) that tears just well up.

Wholesome laughter is very rare. Most modern laughter is about someone getting hurt -- either as explicitly as in "America's Funniest Videos" or as indirectly as in all the jokes, whether verbal or practical, based on denatured sexuality, someone's stupidity, inadequacy, greed or poverty, sickness or cowardice, a mistake, a blunder, a faux pa, someone being taken advantage of, and on and on. Try to think of a joke that is not about any of that off the top of your head!

Wholesome laughter is something entirely else. Growing up I had a best friend, a girl whom I saw at school every day and with whom I spent time after school almost every day too, who was unbelievably funny at no one's expense -- not her own (she wasn't the kind of funny that is really a version of pathetic, inadequate, etc.) or anyone else's -- just naturally funny. There was an aura of mischief around her that was implied, not explicit, and she laughed a lot and made people around her laugh a lot too. The main thing about that aura was that she didn't "work on it," she never "tried" to be funny or to see the funny side of anything in particular, she just reacted this way to the world -- as a funny place.

An example: after school, we parted and went home, and then had to run some errands later and bumped into each other at the same grocery store. She nearly died laughing from just seeing me there, and I nearly died laughing because she immediately pulled me into that mood -- how funny it is, we thought we parted and were busy with something else but here we are together again! Hahahahaha! That kind of laughter. Not for no reason, and not for a reason that is a "conventional" kind of funny -- a reason clear to the insider of it, an intimate kind of funny -- it's really funny that the universe has to bring us together again, unexpectedly, that it couldn't wait more than an hour or two to do this, isn't it?..

Well, it isn't in most cases... unless you are two years old and haven't been damaged out of the fun, funny place yet, or right from the start... or else were lucky to relearn a bit from a "natural" a bit later. :)

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 4

Taomeow,

that's exactly the kind of wholesome comedy I am talking about ! There are no comics or films working in this vein. I think older films have this down, especially older Italian comedies. There is a funny comedian from Mexico called Cantinflas. He was often called the Charlie Chaplin of Mexico. Anyways didnt mean to derail this thread. It's just that if there is one thing that you can count on people sending you via email or chat is "check this out, this is so funny" and its usually like you said, sex, some form of violence, or celebrity related.

:)

owww

Edited by joeblast
ow, the back of my head

Sign in to follow this