Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Legitimate Mystery Schools

This thread can be a place for people to point the way to living traditions around the world, if it's permitted and feels correct for you to do.

Please don't share any modern schools which are offshoots of other schools (they should be a legitimate and recognized branch at least), amalgamations of different traditions to form a new tradition, or newagey reconstructionist attempts at schools.

Have the mysteries survived to this day?

Have the mysteries survived to this day?

Hi Turtle Shell,

Some of my thoughts regarding the mysteries:

Lesser & Greater, per se, of course.

The ancient Pagan traditions differentiated between the two: The qualifications of the lesser & greater differed.

Having said the above......

Rudolf Steiner's Anthroposophy still is around actually.

Freemasonry also which has it's roots in the hermetic thought of the enlightenment, still exists.

In Freemasonry, one is never approached about it.....One asks a Freemason regarding Freemasonry. only.

In some places in the U.S., Freemasonry is being advertised on the radio & television.....This is wrong.

My two cents,

Stefos

• Like 1

Freemasonry also which has it's roots in the hermetic thought of the enlightenment, still exists.

In Freemasonry, one is never approached about it.....One asks a Freemason regarding Freemasonry. only.

In some places in the U.S., Freemasonry is being advertised on the radio & television.....This is wrong.

My two cents,

Stefos

Having talked to a few freemasons online before, they seem to have no idea that it has anything to do with enlightenment. Most people are heading into the Eastern religions as the knowledge is given more freely.

• Like 2

Are not all schools offshoots of other schools?

An offshoot can be unrecognized (by the original school) and illegitimate, a reconstruction based on outsider or partial knowledge, based on the incorrect piecing together of multiple traditions which don't mesh; lacking in the original intent, knowledge and explanation, methods of practice, and ultimate purpose and results. Also the schools we could discuss might not be related to the mystery schools.

I just basically think it'd be amazingly awesome if the Eleusinian mysteries, or something similar, were still practiced today. I don't see why the initiates would ever let it be lost to history. It's totally possible that some of these types of schools still exist.

Edited by turtle shell

I don't see why the initiates would ever let it be lost to history. It's totally possible that some of these types of schools still exist.

I'm sure they do exist, but they're so far underground due to the persecution carried out in previous ages.

• Like 1

Are not all schools offshoots of other schools?

A very interesting and profound statement. However, I think offshoots is a bit too strong of a word, I would say "influenced". No tradition was born in a void, but emerged from within a specific culture during a specific time and was undoubtedly influenced by other mystery schools, but a certain style and flavor develops within each tradition based on the personality and experiences of the practitioner.

For example, Morihei Usheba practiced many other martial arts, but through the culmination all of his knowledge and experience in the martial world he created Aikido....which although is heavily influenced by other styles, it is still very distinct in its own and IMO it would be inappropriate to call itsimply an offshoot, such a rule of thumb could be applied to mystery schools as well.

Though, that's just me being nitpicky.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this