Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

The Future of Taoism in the West

Hi all,

Taoism in the west seems to me at least to be in its infancy yet there is a kind of purity to it also. There are various associations such as the American Dragon Gate, British Taoism and those of Spain, France and Belgium - not to mention the Zhengyi 'magical' traditions prominent in the States. These particular examples stick close to their temple/lineages from my limited experience and nothing wrong with that.

There are a lot of knowledgeable experienced people on this forum who have deep understanding of the teachings, or perhaps the teachings reflect their deep understanding? We are a little like the old Taoist masters who would come together now and then to chat, cultivate and learn together. So, I wonder do we have a responsibility regarding this that stretches beyond the remit of TaoBums?

I ask this because for four years I avoided setting up a Taoist group because I felt it should come to me and not me go to it. I had a few people ask for something to be set but felt like I needed some authentic lineage before doing so yet finally when I did start a group up people came to it like bees to a flower and it seemed to have happened at the right time and it appears to be what people want/need. So how do you wise sages reconcile the "doing-nothing/non-interference" principles with making something available to those who need it? The four years I sat with this, were partly because I wanted to be certain that none of this 'need' was tied to the ego - I felt it was coming from the heart and not the head - which is precisely why I started this subject...something of the heart is calling for this expression. Who am I to argue with it?

I guess I cannot be the only one with such thoughts even if they are only vague ones.

Best wishes,

Heath

• Like 5

Hi all,

Taoism in the west seems to me at least to be in its infancy yet there is a kind of purity to it also. There are various associations such as the American Dragon Gate, British Taoism and those of Spain, France and Belgium - not to mention the Zhengyi 'magical' traditions prominent in the States. These particular examples stick close to their temple/lineages from my limited experience and nothing wrong with that.

There are a lot of knowledgeable experienced people on this forum who have deep understanding of the teachings, or perhaps the teachings reflect their deep understanding? We are a little like the old Taoist masters who would come together now and then to chat, cultivate and learn together. So, I wonder do we have a responsibility regarding this that stretches beyond the remit of TaoBums?

I ask this because for four years I avoided setting up a Taoist group because I felt it should come to me and not me go to it. I had a few people ask for something to be set but felt like I needed some authentic lineage before doing so yet finally when I did start a group up people came to it like bees to a flower and it seemed to have happened at the right time and it appears to be what people want/need. So how do you wise sages reconcile the "doing-nothing/non-interference" principles with making something available to those who need it? The four years I sat with this, were partly because I wanted to be certain that none of this 'need' was tied to the ego - I felt it was coming from the heart and not the head - which is precisely why I started this subject...something of the heart is calling for this expression. Who am I to argue with it?

I guess I cannot be the only one with such thoughts even if they are only vague ones.

Best wishes,

Heath

The sage will help his fellow man and yet no one knows he helped them. He will stay behind and by doing so will be made first. Nothing says you can't help people, it's whether you make a big show of it or ask for something that's important. In Lao Tzu's eyes we weren't supposed to help because we were getting something out of it, but because we were showing compassion to our fellow man. I don't see how what you did could be wrong in any sense and the truth of the matter is that Lao Tzu shared his teachings and there's no reason why we shouldn't do so as well, hopefully through our actions rather than our words, and always with humility and sincerity.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3

It sounds like you cooked the project in a four year vessel and when it was ready it flourished.

The seed of the project was part of your inherent destiny/nature.

I dont think everyone has the destiny/nature to begin a group, or even belong to a group, afaik, some have hermit nature, or their group is in the subtle realm.

You 'did nothing' in the sense that the project moved through you into fruition, as you were the correct medium for the action to manifest.

In such circumstances, fruition is harmonious.. as you say, your group has flourished. It was there before you brought it together, awaiting your move of manifesting it in the physical.

I think this is stated very well.

When we have lingering doubts, it may be good but the inner sense and voice should be clear in terms of destiny/nature. We all have our limitations and if one knows these then they know what they can share and not share with others.

• Like 1

So how do you wise sages reconcile the "doing-nothing/non-interference" principles with making something available to those who need it?

I've never been called a wise sage before. That felt nice!

Sure, I'm a semi-recluse haha. I used to think that was a problem but nah, I think that's just me. But I will still offer help to anyone that is seeking it...and they will usually come to me if so. It comes from three years of hard practice and learning - people immediately see that I can help them now...just from knowing me.

It's totally passive, yet effective. But that's just things for me at the minute. Maybe in the future I will feel compelled to branch out but at present, continuing on my path of self-mastery and sharing what I learn when necessary seems to suffice. Who knows what the future holds?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this