3bob

the need to know...

I think the need to know or a need to know has a definite place in a lot of what is posted at this site...

So I'm asking people in general what they think about the various types of information and or methods submitted here that can result in overload that is not yet needed to be known by "us" and can cause various kinds of trouble for us?

What is your opinion of and general pointers to mitigate or prevent such overloads or mis-loads?

• Like 1

who can know for sure save for those who believe in omniscience?

information is a 2-edged sword. Which is why there is some emphasis on discriminative wisdom found in most authentic paths.

Faith generated from authentic and practical experience would be a good counter to prevent such overloads. With living faith (as opposed to blind faith) its not difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Having said this, for those with keenest awareness, overloads can never happen as every input, be it negative, neutral or positive, can be subjugated and turned into fuel for furthering one's awakening.

The point is to first develop peerless awareness like the sages of old, Padmasambhava and all the rest. They subjugated all mind demons! :P

• Like 2

CT,

I thought your post was well stated and had some key points towards answering the op's comment/question!

(with the "2-edged sword" comment and others being very descriptive)

From a Buddhist framework one might mention the jhanas along these lines, for instance one being directed to work on say the 1st & 2nd jhanas does not need to speculate or hear a great deal about the 7 or 8 jhanas. (would you agree?) But as we all know this website and its sub-forums are often rife with speculation about the most advanced states and teachings of various systems which then end up being argued about... I myself have done this to some degree although I always try to keep things in very general terms knowing I'm vastly unqualified to say more, while also having some idea and feel of step by step stages and my need to know same step by step. (since even if I knew this or that yet didn't have the state of being to match then such can or will cause trouble)

I think the need to know or a need to know has a definite place in a lot of what is posted at this site...

So I'm asking people in general what they think about the various types of information and or methods submitted here that can result in overload that is not yet needed to be known by "us" and can cause various kinds of trouble for us?

What is your opinion of and general pointers to mitigate or prevent such overloads or mis-loads?

When I first started learning Daoist methods, my teacher insisted that I not share experiences and insights with his other students. We were advised to do the work for ourselves and come to him with questions and observations. The mind is so tricky and so quick and effective, that any little bits of info can become sources of expectation and projection. After a few years and reaching certain insights, my teacher suggested that I 'compare notes' with other 'advanced' students. At this point, a framework had been established which was relatively free of bias and expectation and so there was less opportunity for distraction to creep in. While sharing and discussion can be useful and illuminating, it can also be distracting and misleading. Caveat emptor!

• Like 6

CT,

I thought your post was well stated and had some key points towards answering the op's comment/question!

(with the "2-edged sword" comment and others being very descriptive)

From a Buddhist framework one might mention the jhanas along these lines, for instance one being directed to work on say the 1st & 2nd jhanas does not need to speculate or hear a great deal about the 7 or 8 jhanas. (would you agree?) But as we all know this website and its sub-forums are often rife with speculation about the most advanced states and teachings of various systems which then end up being argued about... I myself have done this to some degree although I always try to keep things in very general terms knowing I'm vastly unqualified to say more, while also having some idea and feel of step by step stages and my need to know same step by step. (since even if I knew this or that yet didn't have the state of being to match then such can or will cause trouble)

Yes, i agree, sir. :)

The mind is likened to a grasshopper sometimes -- hopping incessantly and feeding non-stop. Good thing is, if fleas can be trained to perform at circuses, how much easier it is to tame a grasshopper... ^_^

Is it a need to know or a need for certainty?

I'm much more interested in certainty and perceiving the truth of things.

I know I filter the information that is posted here (as in I don't read many of the threads).

If I really want 'to know' what's going on, I don't rely on my thinking mind, I use my feeling (of strong and weak) and connect to my insight.

I guess what I'm saying is experience is more important to me than conceptual knowledge. I know some of us come here to share experience, while others seem to have a need to prove just how much 'they know'.

What do we really know? If you ask yourself that question and get out of your thinking mind, the answer(s) might surprise you.

• Like 1

Recently I suddenly understood something which came from within, in the shape of readiness, and from without, in the shape of a poster here sharing insight process with such clarity that the transmission of understanding was available for the receiving.

When such a knowing happens, it is more like 'need to gnow' as VMarco would say.

The need to gnow is organic to cultivation, isnt it.. or else we are stagnant.

This reminds me of the distinction Krishnamurti makes between knowledge and insight (or between knowledge and gnowledge)