skydog

Marketing and deception

I feel like I have such a strong aversion towards marketing.

As I have seen what kind of effects slick marketing and sneaky tactics have on my self esteem and belief system.

I would like to say I have some possible things to offer to people, although this thread is not about that.

But I feel like I cant actually get these things across to people without being deceptive, manipulative, sneaky like I feel a lot of other businesses are.

Sure businesses need to thrive and survive.

But it just feels so wrong.

I would like to feel that people just understand honesty and self expression.

But it seems like they gear towards smooth sounding words, fancy stories, emotional phrases etc etc and this is all people seem to understand.

I am sure my opinion is slightly skewed so I'd like to know what you think about marketing and honesty.

• Like 1

nice thought, googled that, it means the buyer takes the risk.

the principle that the buyer must bear the risk for the quality ofgoods purchased unless they are covered by the seller's warranty
yes...lol

Look, you're responsible for what you put out there. If you have a good product, there is nothing wrong with good salesmanship and a good marketing strategy. Many great products, services, and people live in obscurity because they don't have a good sales/marketing strategy, and many shitty products, services, and people enjoy the limelight for decades because they had a good sales/marketing strategy.

So if you are really that great, perhaps it behooves you to study sales and marketing a little bit, hm? :P

Like I said, you're responsible for what you put out there. Don't want to lie? Then don't.

"I offer a product/service that does this and benefits my customers in this quantifiable area."

I used to work in sales, and not only my organization, but a lot of other sales organizations (at least from the people in other companies I spoke to) really like the book "Spin Selling"

The general idea is that rather than using a bunch of sketchy sales tactics, you ask questions about your prospective client about where their needs and hangups are, and then you "pitch" your product/service as a way to help them out. Ideally, it creates a smoother sales process, as well as more satisfied, educated, long term customers.

Like marketing, you are responsible for what you sell. Don't think granny needs an ultra sound system? Guess what, don't persuade her to buy it! If she wants to buy it, ask her why she wants to buy it, what her needs are, and if it doesn't sound like a good fit, say "sorry granny, but I don't think this would be a good fit."

As with anything, there will be people who sell/market in sketchy ways, and they will probably get more business than you. For every 3 or 4 legitimate customers you both get, they will get an extra 3 or 4 more questionable sales. But hey, you're not in the game to get numbers, right?

Now if you lose site of what you're in the game for, if you start getting caught up in beating that 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 sales per day, and start hustling grannies to buy your sound system? Well that's YOUR fault.

It's not that "sales and/or marketing makes you lose your soul." It's that "most people aren't set enough in their ideals to make the job work for them, and instead they become a slave to the job."

Clearly define what you want, and tangibly work towards that, and only that, goal.

• Like 2

yes..indeed..good post, thanks

I feel like I have such a strong aversion towards marketing.

As I have seen what kind of effects slick marketing and sneaky tactics have on my self esteem and belief system.

I would like to say I have some possible things to offer to people, although this thread is not about that.

But I feel like I cant actually get these things across to people without being deceptive, manipulative, sneaky like I feel a lot of other businesses are.

Sure businesses need to thrive and survive.

But it just feels so wrong.

I would like to feel that people just understand honesty and self expression.

But it seems like they gear towards smooth sounding words, fancy stories, emotional phrases etc etc and this is all people seem to understand.

I am sure my opinion is slightly skewed so I'd like to know what you think about marketing and honesty.

Good news, I have been in business for myself for 8 years now, and have not had to resort to that sort of marketing at all! I am just very straightforward on my website and do the best quality products I can. Of course it takes time, but most of my business is from repeat customers :). I also recommend social networking to get the word out, but you don't have to be all markety about it. The funny thing is, when I tried google adwords a couple of times, the sort of emails I got from people weren't really the sort of customers I was looking for or in most cases would want!

• Like 1

Also depending on what you are selling, there are sites like Ebay and Etsy who do all that advertising stuff for you. The commission really isn't that bad considering the exposure.

And... it only takes a few sales to get the word out via referrals.

• Like 1

Some good advice in this thread.

Also, you would want to neutralize your experiences of being cheated (from your spiritual experiences) and your ancestors experiences of cheating others. Even out all the karma and neutralize the weakness to the human collective consciousness of people cheating each other.

The triad is lying, cheating, and stealing btw.

Edit: added triad note

Edited by Clarity
  • Like 3

Many thanks for the advices all

Some good advice in this thread.

Also, you would want to neutralize your experiences of being cheated (from your spiritual experiences) and your ancestors experiences of cheating others. Even out all the karma and neutralize the weakness to the human collective consciousness of people cheating each other.

The triad is lying, cheating, and stealing btw.

Edit: added triad note

Interesting thanks...

Indeed T.S

and thanks friend good point, nice to trust ones heart

cheers

Edited by skydog