Sign in to follow this  
norbu

Mantak Chia's Tai Chi Chi Kung

Has anyone worked with Mantak Chia's Tai Chi Chi Kung? If so, was it beneficial? Any pros and cons appreciated.

I have done Yang, Chen, and Sun Tai Chi and have always had a "gut feeling" that this 13 step system is about all one would need for self defense. (I have a 4th Dan in Shorin, and 1st Dan's in several other hard style arts,and these are what I use should a need arise to defend myself or my family.)

I am currently re-learning Chen Man Ching's 37 step form, but am curious about this one b Mantak Chia.

Norbu

I've only read / browsed some of Mantak Chia's stuff... and attended one of his Introductory Weekend Courses, here in the UK in the 1990's.

But as far as his Tai Chi stuff goes, isn't he "Wu" style ?

(Are you trying to master all of the main styles of TCC ?)

Shorinji Kempo ? Interesting choice.

Basher

Mantak Chia learned many forms of Tai Chi, but at the end he decided to keep things simple with his peculiar short form.

He could teach an overly complicated form and teach all kind of weird energetics, but he didn't.

Maybe at the end, tai chi is not that "magical"....

I suppose that if you're using Tai Chi for Health / Energy reasons, the actual movements don't matter as much.

As long as you're adhering to all of the Core Principles...

Different matter if you're using it for Fighting / Martial Applications.

In terms of choosing a style the teacher will be important as well.

Because of the subtle and non-visable aspect of tai chi finding good instruction seems to be very important. I would suggest more important than considerations such as style, especially if you are interested in applying tai chi as a martial art.

Of course if you have great teachers in all the styles available then go to town :D

Sign in to follow this