Awen

When John Chang says....

You don't want to develop good qualities, stability of mind, non-conceptual insight and realisation of Tao?

No.

i7tpzQO.jpg

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I don't see what else cultivation could be for, unless you're just messing around with chi and spirits all day long.

Developing an energetic carbon copy of my physical body to house my consciousness post-mortem.

If you think that, it sounds like you tried shamatha for a bit and gave up because it actually takes discipline and effort and patience.

I really don't care what it sounds like. This is the method of cultivation I learned. If you don't like it you don't like it. Stick to the Buddhist discussion forum.

Trance is inherently a state with low focus.

Not sure where you got this idea, trance is trance and focus is focus. You can do one pointed concentration quite effectively in a deep state of trance.

The dictionary describes trance as the state of someone under hypnosis, which is clearly not the particular form of being neither awake nor asleep that you are talking about. :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trance

2: a sleeplike state (as of deep hypnosis) usually characterized by partly suspended animation with diminished or absent sensory and motor activity

It's the closest word I have been able to find to describe the state, it is in between waking and sleeping, and you pass through it each night when you go to sleep.

Hypnagogia may also be a word that could be used but is associated with dreaming and visual images which isn't the same thing I am referring to.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

and for heaven's sake don't tell me it's in between waking and sleeping because that describes someone just before passing out as much as it does whatever you are talking about.

"You pass through it now each time you drift off to sleep. You just have to remember how.”

Danaos, Kosta The Magus of Java (p. 82)

and you have no interest in anything about cultivation

Incorrect, I only have no interest in your flavor of cultivation. It does not lead where I want to go.

OK then. A state of torpor with awareness artificially bolstered by substances.

Substances are to help relax, not aid in focus, though I have considered adding stuff to boost norepinephrine levels to achieve better focus.

You are emulating the relaxation and non-conceptuality of real meditation through trance, and trying to cover over the dullness inherent to trance by taking 920mg of various things to meditate properly.

The substances help me get relaxed and into trance faster but are not necessary, just reduce the amount of time I need to spend to hit the zone.

If you think trance is a state of dullness you and I are not on the same page.

I do not take 920mg of anything to meditate properly.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I'd suggest just exercising a little effort in learning real meditation.

I do not consider what you are talking about to be a real meditation for my purposes, the masters you reference all still die like dogs without having broken free of rebirth. Their lives were wasted in vain.

What I study is what I consider real meditation.

I would suggest you stick to your form of cultivation, and topics about it.

but clearly you're too attached to your 'path' to consider the idea that it may be actually less a 'path' and more of a 'trip in a shopping cart over a cliff'.

The same to you as well, I do not wish to pursue a path that doesn't lead to where I want to be.

Dedicating my life doing silly things that lead no where, still dying like a dog, still being reborn, that sounds incredibly ignorant to me.

I understand, after all I did AYP for two years and also fucked around with stuff unrelated to enlightenment that really doesn't matter before that.

Your flavor of enlightenment isn't the same as mine.

Cool now we understand where you're coming from, when you do the energy work after entering this trance, you get strong heat and light etc? I seem to remember a while back you saying you become very cold.

Cool now we understand where you're coming from, when you do the energy work after entering this trance, you get strong heat and light etc? I seem to remember a while back you saying you become very cold.

Energy work is done in trance. Strong heat and vibration manifest. The state itself is very cold, the area around the naval can become like a stove eye however.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy