Vmarco

What would a non-offensive World look like?

Offensive vs. non-offensive tends be so personal and subjective that it's impossible to draw any absolute line. Generally I would say that one shouldn't make jokes at someone else's expense, especially if they're feeling beaten down. Among close friends though that too can vary, people who are comfortable enough with each other will sometimes have great fun making two-way japes they would never tolerate from a stranger. Also comedy thrives on pushing boundaries.

A large part of ending offensiveness does occur internally by letting go and becoming stronger. The way I see some people rant on forums or on my facebook friends list, the most pressing issues apparently are not rising wealth inequality, GMOs, erosion of civil liberties, dwindling resources or environmental destruction, instead, it's whether or not someone somewhere said or thought something that ruffled their emotional PC feathers.

Edited by Enishi

So I was at my best friend's house for a visit a short while ago. My friend's wife came into the room we were in as she occasionally enjoys getting into a discussion with me. My friend always regrets that but has learned to just remain seated and keep his mouth shut.

She used the "N" word and that in fact allowed me to use it as well. She and I were not offended. My friend was. (But he still kept his mouth shut because he didn't want to get into trouble with his wife. Such a nice man he is!!!

So I was at my best friend's house for a visit a short while ago. My friend's wife came into the room we were in as she occasionally enjoys getting into a discussion with me. My friend always regrets that but has learned to just remain seated and keep his mouth shut.

She used the "N" word and that in fact allowed me to use it as well. She and I were not offended. My friend was. (But he still kept his mouth shut because he didn't want to get into trouble with his wife. Such a nice man he is!!!

Did you use the N word to denigrate or count as lesser a group of people or did you use it in a gangsta rap kind of cool way? Also why use it anyway?

Did you use the N word to denigrate or count as lesser a group of people or did you use it in a gangsta rap kind of cool way? Also why use it anyway?

Fair question. The word was used toward one particlar individual. Yes, it was in a degrading way.

Have I mentioned that I was once called a "N" by an educated black man? To keep the story short, he explained that this is what blacks call other blacks who are working in positions that are far below their abilities. (I was working at a gas station part time while going to college.) We had been in a rather philosophical discussion and he was sure I was able to handle what he said.

Why use it? Because I can. It is a very expressive word. A word to express disgust of a person. Like a man who would hold a pistol to the neck of a woman while he robber her. That man would be a "N".

I have seen many "N"s in my life. Some were black skinned, some brown skinned, some white skinned and even redish skinned. This is how I use the word.

One of my friends' husband and I were in a conversation and I cannot recal what inspired his statement but he said to me "there are a number of "N"s in my family.

I use the word only when it is fitting based on my usage.

Hehehe. A black lady friend of mine was at my house and we were talking about various things and I used the "N" word. She was shocked! She said, "You can't use that word." I said, "Of course I can. "N". There, I just used it again." I then explained to her my usage of the word and she was satisfied with what I said.

Anyhow, I use it as I do the word "Fuck". What a nice expressive word.

Fuck - "Fornication Under Consent of the King"

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-f-word.htm

How the meaning has changed!

Fair question. The word was used toward one particlar individual. Yes, it was in a degrading way.

Have I mentioned that I was once called a "N" by an educated black man? To keep the story short, he explained that this is what blacks call other blacks who are working in positions that are far below their abilities. (I was working at a gas station part time while going to college.) We had been in a rather philosophical discussion and he was sure I was able to handle what he said.

Why use it? Because I can. It is a very expressive word. A word to express disgust of a person. Like a man who would hold a pistol to the neck of a woman while he robber her. That man would be a "N".

I have seen many "N"s in my life. Some were black skinned, some brown skinned, some white skinned and even redish skinned. This is how I use the word.

One of my friends' husband and I were in a conversation and I cannot recal what inspired his statement but he said to me "there are a number of "N"s in my family.

I use the word only when it is fitting based on my usage.

Hehehe. A black lady friend of mine was at my house and we were talking about various things and I used the "N" word. She was shocked! She said, "You can't use that word." I said, "Of course I can. "N". There, I just used it again." I then explained to her my usage of the word and she was satisfied with what I said.

Anyhow, I use it as I do the word "Fuck". What a nice expressive word.

Fuck - "Fornication Under Consent of the King"

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-f-word.htm

How the meaning has changed!

Well thanks for the explanation .... still can't believe you use that word ... there's plenty others to use.

Where I grew up, most White's would use the N-word while talking to other White's about themselves,..."you N." The meaning I suppose was "you're like those Black folks." Many used to belive they offended Gays with terms like Queer,...but they turned around and said "I'm Queer and proud of it."

According to some academics, the most racist State in America is Hawaii. The term Haole, is much worse than the N-word,...but not only is it not challenged, it is a racist word encouraged by Hawaiians.

They even have a Kill Haole holiday to cellebrate their hate of Haole's.

I lived in Hawaii for a year, and left because of the underlaying racism. Even their King, Majesty Akahi Nui, is a full blown racist.

Many sympathize with Hawaiians,...I don't. If they wanted to go back to some sort of Hawaiian roots, I could understand,...they don't,...they want a country based on Old Testament Law.

http://www.freehawaii.org/1840.html

Could you tell us a few?

I meant plenty of words that don't have racist overtones or origins.

Where I grew up, most White's would use the N-word while talking to other White's about themselves,..."you N." The meaning I suppose was "you're like those Black folks." Many used to belive they offended Gays with terms like Queer,...but they turned around and said "I'm Queer and proud of it."

According to some academics, the most racist State in America is Hawaii. The term Haole, is much worse than the N-word,...but not only is it not challenged, it is a racist word encouraged by Hawaiians.

They even have a Kill Haole holiday to cellebrate their hate of Haole's.

I lived in Hawaii for a year, and left because of the underlaying racism. Even their King, Majesty Akahi Nui, is a full blown racist.

Many sympathize with Hawaiians,...I don't. If they wanted to go back to some sort of Hawaiian roots, I could understand,...they don't,...they want a country based on Old Testament Law.

http://www.freehawaii.org/1840.html

Yeah I know some of these types of abusive words get recaptured by the community ... I'm not particularly PC but I lived through a time of some overt racism which happily is now at least suppressed if not completely gone away. I despise racism ... truly ... that and other types of prejudice are some of the worst aspects of humanity. I believe in the individual and any labeling of them by general perjorative terms is a way of diminishing them as person(s).

Don't know about Hawaii ... sounds unpleasant.

.... still can't believe you use that word ...

Yeah, sometimes the truth is too hard to handle so we create lies to cover it up.

I'm not goning to lie to you or anyone else.

Yeah, sometimes the truth is too hard to handle so we create lies to cover it up.

I'm not goning to lie to you or anyone else.

Sure.

Just remember, if one feels offended the first thing they should do is ask why they feel offended.

So what would a non-offensive world look like? A dream. Because it ignores reality.

If we do not consider reality we are just telling ourself lies.

Much better, I think to understand reality than to ignore it. Ignoring the truth will bring many disappointments.