billb

Probiotic kefir water vs milk

I am reading about the heatlh benefits of Kefir and they are astounding I am surprised that I have not seen a lot of interest here at tao bums since it seems to have much more benefit than any single herb and it is a food that costs next to nothing to make once you get some kefir grains. I am reading that milk kefir is stronger than water but what I would like to know is whether or not the types of bacteria are different as I could dring a lot of kefir water to make up the difference in quantity. In other words is their a qualitative (different drink altogether) or just a quantitative ( more beneficial microbes) difference? Any one drink homeade kefir? Also milk kefir is no longer considered dairy since it is transformed and people who have trouble with dairy can drink milk kefir with no problem and also get all it's benefits so please no vegan arguments against dairy I've already read them a miliion times I am only interested in the probiotic difference between these 2 beverages.

Edited by billb

Kefir grains are hard to find in the US unless you mail order them. Maybe Williams Sonoma sells them? Kefir milk is sold in supermarkets, but there's no way to know if the culture is active, because I've seen supermarkets leave pallets of yogurt sitting in the sun. Heat weakens or kills active yogurt cultures. I have similar concerns about kombucha and any other probiotic drink.

Here's my recipe for an active culture drink that uses bread yeast - ginger ale!!! They say kefir is a yeast, so this could be an alternative. My recipe adds a tiny bit of yogurt to enrich the probiotic mix. Although the yogurt could be deactivated at the time of purchase and you'd never know, the yeast MUST be active in order to carbonate the drink. Sugar feeds the yeast, but will also feed the yogurt culture.

Probiotic Ginger Ale

2 tablespoons ginger root, finely grated
3/4 cup ultra-fine sugar
1/4 teaspoon active dry bread yeast (like Red Star)
1/2 teaspoon active yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
water

1. Put the ginger root, sugar, yogurt, yeast, and lemon juice into a 2 liter soda bottle.
2. Add cold water water to top. Cap bottle tightly and shake to mix.
3. Ferment at room temperature until carbonation has pressurized bottle - about 2 days.
4. Chill if desired and serve.

Edited by silas
  • Like 1

Even better is bio-K, that stuff is amazing! I'd like to make some of that. I find it pretty awesome that kefir now comes in litre sized containers in various flavors and actually taste good :).

• Like 1

Yum. :)

I have some plain unsweetened organic Lifeway brand in the fridge now. Made by a Russian-American family. I love the flavors, but prefer the unsweetened option. I suppose I could add some fresh fruit when I want a twist.

One thing I do is to let it come to near room temperature before drinking it. That means I have to remember to pour small glass right when I get up. Next, meditate. Then, enjoy a glass. :)

I'm a big fan of Lifeway. Tasty stuff with a high protein to carb ratio. Silas's probiotic ginger ale sounds good too.

• Like 1

I am a regular kombucha drinker. Does kefir compare in effectiveness? Would one benefit from drinking kombucha sometimes and kefir other times.

I drink GT's kombucha. It is the best brand I have found. What is a good brand for kefir? I often see these milkshake looking things in plastic bottles. Intuitively, I never try those.

I haven't had much kombucha. Being fermented its probably a great source of probiotics, but I doubt it has Kefir's nutritional profile. I.e. the unsweetened is high protein, low carb, hi calcium, high vitamin D etc., A meal in itself.