voidisyinyang

Training like it's for the Olympics: Qigong Master Jim Nance visits my man-cave -- in spirit.

yeah definitely but he also said that he used kungfu to help him also train in basketball and so he was such a good "street player" in basketball in Philly that he was then recruited into the pros. He was about to go pro in the U.S. from his pro team in Europe but then he got injured...... and anyway when I finish uploading his Qi-talk he goes more into why he really like Athletics and what it was about it that he was trying to recreate - and how that was related to qigong..........

Lol thats funny cause as a kid I totally sucked at basketball. So in Alaska I got into qigong and martial arts big time. After Alaska I am staying with family in San Antonio for a few months before TCM school in Austin begins. So my brother and I are at our old high school shooting baskets just for kicks on the weekend. This group of high school kids shows up with their basketball and after a while challenge my brother and I to a game. Me and my brother accept but I'm kind of thinking that since they are young and seem to be into basketball this might not go so well lol. Well to make a long story short my brother and I totally slaughter them haha. All that qigong and martial arts in Alaska gave me a lot more focus, coordination, and endurance than I had even had as a kid, and certainly more than these kids had as well lol. Qigong makes everything easier :-)

• Like 1

Lol thats funny cause as a kid I totally sucked at basketball. So in Alaska I got into qigong and martial arts big time. After Alaska I am staying with family in San Antonio for a few months before TCM school in Austin begins. So my brother and I are at our old high school shooting baskets just for kicks on the weekend. This group of high school kids shows up with their basketball and after a while challenge my brother and I to a game. Me and my brother accept but I'm kind of thinking that since they are young and seem to be into basketball this might not go so well lol. Well to make a long story short my brother and I totally slaughter them haha. All that qigong and martial arts in Alaska gave me a lot more focus, coordination, and endurance than I had even had as a kid, and certainly more than these kids had as well lol. Qigong makes everything easier :-)

dang your inspiring me to go meditate -- standing active -- even though I've only had four hours of sleep. haha.

• Like 1

I think it's because he sees that such things happen normally when doing anapana. Which it does happen. But you can still do such cultivation. You just gotta know the prerequisites. Which is why a teacher is important.

Yea I do agree that as far as my experience goes that Anapana does it best for me for sure, but these other practices are definitely a nice supplement, AND facilitator of these deeper practices :)

Drew, what exactly is the meditation?

Saying full lotus meditation doesn't explain the practice at all, just the physical position. There are thousands of different meditations one could be doing while in the full lotus physical position.

So what practice is done in full lotus within ChunYi's system?

Edited by JustBHappy

Drew, what exactly is the meditation?

Saying full lotus meditation doesn't explain the practice at all, just the physical position. There are thousands of different meditations one could be doing while in the full lotus physical position.

So what practice is done in full lotus within ChunYi's system?

http://springforestqigong.com will give you an overview but let me know if that still leaves you with questions.

Still no clue about WHAT meditation you're talking about or referring to when you keep saying full lotus meditation.

I could sit in full lotus and watch tv or surf the internet. I could close my eyes and focus on a point in the body, tons of possibilities there. I could sit in full lotus and focus on an external object, or one of the four immeasurables, or the breath, or a diety. I could simply rest in awareness. Literally thousands of different meditations or other things could be done in the lotus posture.

The physical position is only one part of it. My question is "what is the actual meditation that you keep referring to." Not the posture, the meditation.

I'm quite familiar with the website and ChunYi, in fact I listen to him weekly (healling connection) and also monthly through the 'deep healing' year long program. It's all great stuff, but none of this answers my question.

Still no clue about WHAT meditation you're talking about or referring to when you keep saying full lotus meditation.

I could sit in full lotus and watch tv or surf the internet. I could close my eyes and focus on a point in the body, tons of possibilities there. I could sit in full lotus and focus on an external object, or one of the four immeasurables, or the breath, or a diety. I could simply rest in awareness. Literally thousands of different meditations or other things could be done in the lotus posture.

The physical position is only one part of it. My question is "what is the actual meditation that you keep referring to." Not the posture, the meditation.

I'm quite familiar with the website and ChunYi, in fact I listen to him weekly (healling connection) and also monthly through the 'deep healing' year long program. It's all great stuff, but none of this answers my question.

I think he does one pointed focus on the word "I" by repeating that over and over.

• Like 1

Yeah I do the Sun meditation or the Small Universe in full lotus or else the Self Concentration meditation -- those are all Spring Forest Qigong meditations or else I might do the Rainbow meditation or the Butterfly meditation -- or any of the other meditation c.d.s that Chunyi Lin has made - the "Healing the World" meditation or Moon meditation.

But when I do "Self Concentration" I do not use a C.D. - instead I focus on the source of the I-thought and then sometimes I fall asleep in full lotus.

Actually qigong master Jim Nance called me because he was looking for my local qigong friend's phone number to do a healing on him!!

• Like 1

Interesting. . Now I understand, there is no one full lotus meditation you simply do any of your seated practices from this posture. Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting. . Now I understand, there is no one full lotus meditation you simply do any of your seated practices from this posture. Thanks for clarifying.

yeah Chunyi Lin has said that 20 minutes of full lotus meditation equals four hours of any other kind of meditation.

But I would says when you get to 2 hours of full lotus meditation with no pain and no movement then the body is filled with electromagnetic energy.

Until that point that probably other types of meditation is good -- like more standing active exercises and small universe meditation maybe in a chair, etc.

yeah Chunyi Lin has said that 20 minutes of full lotus meditation equals four hours of any other kind of meditation.

But I would says when you get to 2 hours of full lotus meditation with no pain and no movement then the body is filled with electromagnetic energy.

Until that point that probably other types of meditation is good -- like more standing active exercises and small universe meditation maybe in a chair, etc.

Yeay I got into full lotus for about 5 min. at the end of my regular meditation. I had done 2 hours of half lotus so I guess that sort of got me loosened up. I was able to go (very quickly) through the inner smile and healing sounds for each organ and then wrap it up with a few loops of the MCO, and then I was like "ouch" haha.

I often sit in full lotus and do the 1 hour Small Universe, it's strange because I'm not that flexible but I found it relatively easy to work up to an hour of full lotus. I'm in my mid twenties so maybe age is a factor. Sometimes near the end of the hour it will start to become painful.. I find that if I've been doing some lower stance work and my legs feel strong, then it's easier.

I've often resorted to sitting down or lying down and doing the meditation out of laziness though.. I have significant blockages to work on and I really need to build up some Jing so the standing exercises are more vital to me right now. I want to get in a habit of training first thing in the morning.. and maybe save the meditation for nighttime. I've got the level 3 manual and I'm really looking forward to trying those meditations when I'm ready. I think that will be a couple years off for me though.

• Like 1

I often sit in full lotus and do the 1 hour Small Universe, it's strange because I'm not that flexible but I found it relatively easy to work up to an hour of full lotus. I'm in my mid twenties so maybe age is a factor. Sometimes near the end of the hour it will start to become painful.. I find that if I've been doing some lower stance work and my legs feel strong, then it's easier.

I've often resorted to sitting down or lying down and doing the meditation out of laziness though.. I have significant blockages to work on and I really need to build up some Jing so the standing exercises are more vital to me right now. I want to get in a habit of training first thing in the morning.. and maybe save the meditation for nighttime. I've got the level 3 manual and I'm really looking forward to trying those meditations when I'm ready. I think that will be a couple years off for me though.

Yeah actually qigong master Chunyi Lin said at the LEvel 3 class in April that actually everything you need to know is just in Level 1. haha. For example the small universe meditation - if you study the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" it is all the small universe meditation and yet takes you to the highest level.

So the Sun and Moon meditation actually seem to be extensions of the small universe meditation as the Sun and Moon meditation are also found in the Taoist Yoga book - not exactly the same but the principles are the same.

So the same with the Rainbow Meditation.

Anyway so Chunyi Lin really is teaching internal alchemy but he presents it in a very accessible manner without anyone really knowing. haha.

• Like 1

As rainbowvein, I ought to look into this. :)

yeah so qigong master Chunyi Lin said he used to clear the weather for the Level 4 Rainbow meditation retreat up at Lake Superior - then when the did the meditation there appeared a double rainbow over Lake Superior.

http://www.springforestqigong.com/index.php/level-4-meditation-retreat

http://loveradiator.com/2009/08/18/double-rainbow-meditation/

There's the photo of the double rainbow!

• Like 1

yeah so qigong master Chunyi Lin said he used to clear the weather for the Level 4 Rainbow meditation retreat up at Lake Superior - then when the did the meditation there appeared a double rainbow over Lake Superior.

http://www.springforestqigong.com/index.php/level-4-meditation-retreat

http://loveradiator.com/2009/08/18/double-rainbow-meditation/

There's the photo of the double rainbow!

That is so cool.

Yeah qigong master Chunyi Lin said at the Level 3 retreat that when someone has left their body the best meditation is the Rainbow Meditation to harmonize their energy back into the Emptiness. So then when Chunyi Lin went to visit his Dad's grave in China there appeared a rainbow around the sun and then when he was leaving there was thunder and the rainbow disappeared and so the thunder told Chunyi that his Dad's spirit did not want them to leave yet. So they returned to the grave and the rainbow around the sun reappeared. So then someone took a photo and it was in the local news since a rainbow around the sun is considered only a once in a hundred years phenomenon.

• Like 2

I certainly agree whole heartedly with this point. Its Amazing.

• Like 1

I certainly agree whole heartedly with this point. Its Amazing.

For me though, it depends on the actual meditation, not just the posture.

I can sit in full lotus for two hours without much problem, but what one is doing with the mind/heart is where the magic happens. Holding the posture painlessly is just about relaxation verses reaction.

Sitting in full lotus while watching fox news, will just rot your mind into the sheepledom conciousness. The posture alone is powerful, but still limited without the actual meditation. This is why I was curious about drew's actual meditation because the posture alone isn't going to do much in my experience. In fact many great yogi's and qi gong masters don't sit in full lotus yet attain high levels of mastery.

Do you do and/or does Chunyi Lin do or teach any kind of standing meditation like Zhan Zhuang?

Do you do and/or does Chunyi Lin do or teach any kind of standing meditation like Zhan Zhuang?

yep -- Chunyi Lin trained at Shaolin doing the static Horse Stance pose -- so 2 hrs nonstop - no moving - with thighs horizontal to the ground - arms outstretched in either thunder palm or sword fingers.

He did that everyday for three months under Master Yau at Shaolin and at the end the third eye was fully open so they practiced long distance healing.

• Like 1

yep -- Chunyi Lin trained at Shaolin doing the static Horse Stance pose -- so 2 hrs nonstop - no moving - with thighs horizontal to the ground - arms outstretched in either thunder palm or sword fingers.

He did that everyday for three months under Master Yau at Shaolin and at the end the third eye was fully open so they practiced long distance healing.

Hmm interesting. I did a total of about 30 min of standing Zang Zhuang meditation today to build up some qi due to my tiredness issues. I was watching an hour long talk by Ajahn Brahm and was planning on just standing the whole time since one hour sitting is no biggie. But half way through the talk I had to stop standing cause my breathing was becoming labored and my heart started to beat hard, I broke out in a sweat (not that I care about that) and my ears closed up (but they do this when I'm sitting for a while too). So mainly I stopped cause of my breathing and heart beat, though I do feel more energized though lol. I think I like this :D

reverse or natural? make zz into a breathing practice - dont forget to keep on descending the diaphragm-psoas overlap, I find that when I'm doing horse stance when it gets intense I have to reassert my focus there. it will keep things from putting upward pressure on the epigastrum.

reverse or natural? make zz into a breathing practice - dont forget to keep on descending the diaphragm-psoas overlap, I find that when I'm doing horse stance when it gets intense I have to reassert my focus there. it will keep things from putting upward pressure on the epigastrum.

I began with natural then transitioned to reverse and then when I started to feel funny I went back to natural before I stopped.

why did you break for breakfast? if you start getting hungry, put a little more focus on the lower dantien and you can alleviate the hunger until you're done. I had to do that while I was getting a massage yesterday to keep my stomach from rumbling :lol: if you find that you're getting hungry often while practicing in the morning like that, eat something small that wont be too much of a burden on digestive energy before you practice, do the session completely, it is more coherent. :)