Owledge

(Pop culture) relevance of the number 117?

I've seen this number used quite a lot, in user names and stuff like that. Any idea why this number appears so relatively often? If I remember correctly, it might be a Halo reference, but can that be the only influencing factor? It seems like this number is spooking around in people's heads a lot. Or is that just me?

I'm assuming that pop culture might play a role based on the idea that maybe if enough people are directing thought to that number, it will have a cumulative collective-consciousness like manifestation effect. ... Because it's not just appearing in deliberate context, if you know what I mean.

I haven't noticed. Maybe you're just experiencing conformation bias? Try looking out for another random number, and you'll suddenly seem to notice that one everywhere too - when in reality it's not unusually common, you just notice when it's there as you're looking for it.

Reading Wikipedia article... "Bruce wrote 88 OSS 117 novels..."

Now this is getting ridiculous! :wacko::lol:

I've just gotten more specific info regarding Halo. ... It's the main character's alternative identifier - Sierra 117.

I'm beginning to wonder now why this number is being used like that in pop culture in the first place.

Oh, it was already way ridiculous. If I hadn't watched this movie:

http://www.musicboxfilms.com/oss-117--cairo--nest-of-spies-movies-32.php?page_id=17

on Netflix last night, I couldn't have made my suggestion. Why did I watch this movie? My uncle was in the OSS and worked with The Resistance in France. The family even has pictures of Charles DeGaulle pinning the Croix de Guerre and the Légion d'honneur on him. After WWII he joined the CIA and was assigned to the Mediterranean office. He used to have lunch with King Farouk, who supposed niece plays a part in this film. So he would have known the whole "nest of spies", that was Cairo.

So because of a "weird" personal connection, I watched a movie that gave me an answer to your question, the night you ask it.... Ha! That's Ridiculous.

As a side note, even with subtitles the film is hilarious.

It's also kind of ridiculous that, "his wife Josette Bruce (signing as "J.Bruce") wrote 143 OSS 117 novels before retiring in 1985. Starting in 1987, Bruce's daughter Martine and her husband François wrote 23 more OSS 117 books."

• Like 1

So because of a "weird" personal connection, I watched a movie that gave me an answer to your question, the night you ask it.... Ha! That's Ridiculous.

Thanks for mentioning it. This helps to dispel any doubts about whether I should have asked the question publicly.

I found this on a web site.

Repeating Angel Numbers - 1's and 7's (117, 117, 171, 177, 771, 1717 etc)

1’s and 7’s indicates that you may experience good fortune which will lead to the manifestation of your heart’s desires. Your determination and efforts are to be rewarded.

The 1 and 7 combination is a message that you are doing a great job and are to be commended for your efforts. You are on the right path in your life, so keep going along in this vain. The number combination of 1 and 7 is a sign that you have chosen your thoughts and actions well. You are reminded also that the emotion and attitude of 'gratitude' will speed the process of your manifestations, so remember to be thankful for all that the Universe provides.

http://goo.gl/7bSDY

So maybe the one who wrote it had some knowledge of numerology.

Edited by Tung

I think I checked out that link before, and it all seems very like pop culture horoscope. I am comparing alleged messages to my expriences and some qualify as being so vague that they always or never apply, based on how you read them.

I put attention on different ways of divination-related stuff. Some are useful, some not so much. Cause and effect seem to be confusing, too. When I check my dreams for symbolic meaning, all I can say with some certainty is that they could very well depict my current state of mind and my desires, but not really what will be, because that doesn't occur, at least not noticeable to me. I just put more attention and intention on the good messages.

But mostly all kinds of strange symbolic events I notice seem to be mere cheerleading.

And then some spiritual teachers say one should not put attention on them.

All this confusion leaves me with just doing and believing whatever I want.