phore

Krogers simple truth Facebook page.

Hey I recently visited krogers simple truth organic and natural food label Facebook page.

facebook.com/simpletruth

I've noticed that most of the recent comments are concerning the use of genetically modified ingredients in their natural foods.

They have a very standard answer that does not really answer the question.

They say that their organic products are gmo free but their natural foods are not gmo free.

Anyone want to help mob their page with non gmo questions and requests?

• Like 2

buying organic is the only option. there is no regulation for what can be called "natural" so assume that when a product says natural, but not organic, it is COMPLETELY full of shit.

• Like 3

buying organic is the only option. there is no regulation for what can be called "natural" so assume that when a product says natural, but not organic, it is COMPLETELY full of shit.

For big operation, I agree. "Organic" requires certification, which requires $, so smaller operations in local markets may not be certified organic.

where are these places that sell organic food at such a low price that they can't afford certification? i can't find them :lol:

• Like 1

where are these places that sell organic food at such a low price that they can't afford certification? i can't find them :lol:

Great question.

Edited by Sanzon

Family farmers, local co-ops and markets, farm markets, even people's backyards. Actually a niche where small businesses can do okay by promoting and communicating with their customers about their products, but cut overhead by not going thru government certification process. I get monthly vegetables in growing season from a co-op and meat and eggs from a farmer a few counties out, they follow organic practices but haven't gotten certification because it costs hundreds of dollars and requires lots of ongoing paperwork and inspection. You won't find anything at Krogers.

• Like 4

I actually work at a milk processing plant that makes Simple Truth among many other organic products plus non organic as well. Organic certification is a pain in the ass. You have to supply proof of using organic feed, non hormonal treatment as well as many other things to get organic certification.

One funny insight for you, I'll use organic as the example.

When a plant processes some organic half and half for example, they will use the same milk to fill whatever products they have, unless a certain product requires a special step or process. So you might find the same milk in simple truth cartons as you do organic valley cartons. Or O Organic which is a store brand might be the same as the milk in organic valley. The difference? About a buck or more on price.

• Like 1

buying food is the problem, growing food is the solution.

Conveniences cannot be relied upon, they cannot be the norm. otherwise you have no control over the[ir] quality.

The less we consume their poison, the less they can afford to poison us.

• Like 2

This is true. I found out that "Natural flavours" means... that is tastes like something natural... but it itself isnt haha.

We need a system to regulate and define these terms.

I agree with NAJA, we really need to become self sufficent again.

Physically and spiritually... hm interesting that.

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

Whole foods is beginning a mandatory gmo labeling initiative for all of its products.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/03/20/whole-foods-gmo-labels-grocery-shopping/

California gmo labeling did not pass.

Also congress recently passed a rider popularly called " Monsanto protection act" with another bill.

http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-protection-act-5-terrifying-things-know-about-hr-933-provision-1156079

Edited by phore

vermont and washington have GMO labeling initiatives underway for 2014 vote

it will happen eventually. CA prop 37 was only defeated by 53% to 47% despite the pro movement being outfunded enormously by monsanto, dow, etc

they aren't going to be able to get away with that indefinitely. Eventually USA will label GMO foods... like the rest of the civilized world lol

• Like 1

my last post was about the monsanto protection act :P someone didn't read the whole thread haha

I remember reading that article now. I've heard it so much the past few weeks that its blurring together.