I have noticed that in my years of study and teaching that there are those who seek Intensity. This is the path and journey that some of us have chosen. Intensity provides a certain experience that Non-Intensity does not. However, Intensity can be very harmful in any practice whether it be running a marathon, zhan zhuang, fasting, meditation, dieting, studying, etc.. Intensity can potentially harm the spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical aspects - sometimes to a point of great rupture. Each person is different as to how they will respond to the intensity of any practice.

The safest approach is to move ahead in the direction that one has chosen but always listen to the signals that one is receiving from the body. If one is not use to listening to signals then the signals will intensify and at times become so intense as to immobilize any further action. This of course is something to be avoided if possible because of the harm one does to one's own body.

If one is content with moderation then there will be less potential for harm but then again Intensity will never be experienced. Such are the choices we each make during our journeys.

Edited by taijistudent
  • Like 3

Intensity can with time and effort be balanced and properly channeled. IME when we open ourselves to higher levels of energy there is going to be an initial struggle for mastery, it is completely natural. However, I do agree people tend to bite of more than they can chew and it can result in harm to oneself and a very rocky learning curve.

Like you said, it is important....very important to listen for the signals.

My 2 cents, Peace

Thank you for your comment. As always it is one's own journey and what they learn along the way.

Edited by taijistudent

Thanks for the reminder. It's kind of fall into the chronicity story.

I wasn't happy about my progress a few month back. I started training harder and longer, two to four hours weekdays, and six to eight hours weekend. Finally last night I had a few divine revelation. One of them was "slow down". :)

Then I saw your thread today.

• Like 4

Hmm actually I wrote some innaccurate observations.

I think some people feel a great calling to go intense at certain points in their lives, going intense can seem intense for some, for others it is not even that intense.

There are some good threads for people on here on how to deal with changes.

Edited by sinansencer
  • Like 2

Laying on the couch can be more harmful than running a marathon. Sometimes your journey will be intense whether you choose it or not, you can choose how you prepare and train for the journey only to some extent.

• Like 2

Laying on the couch can be more harmful than running a marathon. Sometimes your journey will be intense whether you choose it or not, you can choose how you prepare and train for the journey only to some extent.

Usually people have some kind of "reason" to go under such a path intensely, I am questioning where these reasons/sicknesses that for example shamans who learn to cure themselves or pain that people experience come from, like if in a way it is some kind of subtle gift.

• Like 1

Usually people have some kind of "reason" to go under such a path intensely, I am questioning where these reasons/sicknesses that for example shamans who learn to cure themselves or pain that people experience come from, like if in a way it is some kind of subtle gift.

Sometimes it is not reasonable and moderation is not an option. Thosewho are called to be shamans do not generally enter subtly with moderation, but rather are sucked up into epiphany. Sometimes epiphanies and intensity are not an option either. You really only get to choose so much; it might make us feel happier if control is thought to be an option.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder. It's kind of fall into the chronicity story.

I wasn't happy about my progress a few month back. I started training harder and longer, two to four hours weekdays, and six to eight hours weekend. Finally last night I had a few divine revelation. One of them was "slow down". :)

Then I saw your thread today.

Synchronicity. :)

Yes, one aspect of life is learning how to be a skilled navigator.

• Like 1

Hmm actually I wrote some innaccurate observations.

I think some people feel a great calling to go intense at certain points in their lives, going intense can seem intense for some, for others it is not even that intense.

There are some good threads for people on here on how to deal with changes.

Yes, people go through stages in life and each stage has different challenges which bring about changes and new knowledge.

I recently started back in my martial practice. Been doing a lot of low stances that you need to hold for long periods of time. It's a very intense workout and sometimes my legs will just feel dead afterwords.

However, ideally, as my IMA teacher says you want to be relaxed even as you hold such difficult stances that make your legs shake feverishly. I think that is the most effective approach: "Relaxed Intensity".....but even getting to this level takes a great deal of mental, physical and emotional discipline.....meditation up the wahoo to have that level of control.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

I had the same experience today in my yoga practice. After considering that intensity is a natural part of my character makeup I decided that today's yoga practice and moving forward that I would not allow that intensity to overpower the ease. As you put it 'relaxed intensity'. It led to a much more fruitful place internally and externally there was a greater amount of focus. What psychologists call the flow state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

I do think however as you put it that its much easier to access this place once you feel a certain amount of discipline has been achieved in the practice.

This is a great thread and thanks for bumping it. I do think that this relaxed intensity is also certainly applicable to my meditation practice as well. If you watch great Olympic gymnasts, tennis players, really anyone in the top of their field this intense ease is in great display.

• Like 1

I have noticed that in my years of study and teaching that there are those who seek Intensity. This is the path and journey that some of us have chosen. Intensity provides a certain experience that Non-Intensity does not. However, Intensity can be very harmful in any practice whether it be running a marathon, zhan zhuang, fasting, meditation, dieting, studying, etc.. Intensity can potentially harm the spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical aspects - sometimes to a point of great rupture. Each person is different as to how they will respond to the intensity of any practice.

The safest approach is to move ahead in the direction that one has chosen but always listen to the signals that one is receiving from the body. If one is not use to listening to signals then the signals will intensify and at times become so intense as to immobilize any further action. This of course is something to be avoided if possible because of the harm one does to one's own body.

If one is content with moderation then there will be less potential for harm but then again Intensity will never be experienced. Such are the choices we each make during our journeys.

Over my life, I have had to learn how to do the most while not doing too much. The line between relaxed intensity and stressful intensity.

During my QiGong training, in the early days, I would have to practice for an hour or two a day just to remember the moves.

Now, If I forget, I take a break and let it come back. Afterwards, I do not forget so easily.

As a few others have said, learning to listen, to know your limits is a huge part of it. In our society, we tend to think of MORE as BETTER. It is not always the case. Especially with Internal Practices. We can easily do more and hurt our selves in the process. Stress our systems out too much.

Some days, I do nothing. My system wants to rest. To integrate what is already taking place. That is hard because my mind wants to do more! To progress!

Sometimes, doing nothing IS doing something. Sometimes doing something IS doing nothing. Hah.

Great thread!

Peace

• Like 1

This is a great insight. I can only speak from Yoga (asana) since that is my physical practice to prepare me for meditation but in Savasana final resting pose) I find that in a class setting most of the students leave almost immediately. Many great yogic masters have identified this final pose as one of the most important poses in an asana sequence. But since from most people's perspectives " you are doing nothing just laying there" they leave. Definitely sometimes what feels like doing is most certainly something.

• Like 2