Immortal4life

Controversial speech and Freedom of Speech

This seems like a timely issue, given the current climate in discussions lately. Here Oprah discusses the issue of censorship vs. Freedom of Speech. Guests include the Original Gangster and Rap pioneer Ice-T among others. Tipper Gore is such a joke.

Well, I made it through half of the first video but had to stop.

I simply cannot relate with any of that stuff.

I have made my position clear regarding what is going on in America today and I have expressed strongly that I think America, yes, that includes 'we, the people', is heading down a road of destruction.

But I am old and will be dead before that happens. What can I say?

I have made my position clear regarding what is going on in America today and I have expressed strongly that I think America, yes, that includes 'we, the people', is heading down a road of destruction.

The eastern world, it is exploding

Violence flarin', bullets loadin'

You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'

You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin'

And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'

But you tell me

Over and over and over again, my friend

Ah, you don't believe

We're on the eve

of destruction.

Actually, I didn't believe him when he put the song out. (My eyes were clouded then.)

there was a definite feeling that sooner or later we were going to blow ourselves to smithereens at that time ... mutual assured destruction and all that stuff ... that song used to give me goose bumps ...

there was a definite feeling that sooner or later we were going to blow ourselves to smithereens at that time ... mutual assured destruction and all that stuff ... that song used to give me goose bumps ...

Yeah, I considered it what I refer now to a "dark song". Looking only at the negative side of what America was back then. Negativeness has grown dramatically since then.

Yeah, I considered it what I refer now to a "dark song". Looking only at the negative side of what America was back then. Negativeness has grown dramatically since then.

I'm still hoping America will pull itself out the morass it finds itself in. All worldy powers make mistakes and you could say there is something inherently sinister about political power anyway (I'm watching House of Cards at the moment so ...) BUT I want a world that upholds individual liberty and the rule of law ... I don't want theocracy, or Chinese two system whatevers ... I waant the 'project' of the western democracies to go forward ... just need some decent leaders ... which are sadly lacking ... everywhere not just US.

• Like 1

You might relate to Ice-T more than you think Marbehead

You might relate to Ice-T more than you think Marbehead

Actually, I do like the acting he does. I know nothing of his personal life so no judgements there.

This seems like a timely issue, given the current climate in discussions lately. Here Oprah discusses the issue of censorship vs. Freedom of Speech. Guests include the Original Gangster and Rap pioneer Ice-T among others. Tipper Gore is such a joke.

Everybody had good and bad points. This is one of the - to me - more enjoyable controversy talk show examples.

Tipper Gore though is very much acting like a politician, evading facts, nice words and messages. I found the Rabbi kinda cool. He embodied a non-aggressive moralistic attitude.

Personally, I would have spoken about the core issue: Yes, there might be parents who feel unable to be good parents regarding talking to them about the music they hear, but then they should learn it and the actual organized movement should not be one that tries to keep certain music away from children, but should support parents in being more competent.

Because once you provide an external authority to deal with a problem, there is no longer an incentive to solve it internally. It's the very profound principle of how taking the easy/lazy way will pave the road to hell. It's like a body's immune system. If you keep your child in a sterile environment because you feel incapable to drive him to the doctor when he's sick or administer medicine, he will become an adult who cannot deal with any harmful microorganisms. Then that adult will take issue with much more minor things and again demand a protective external authority.

Personal growth and inner strength is what makes a healthy society. Laziness and problem-avoidance leads to tyranny, because there are always people who will happily take over the authority and power that others are willing to give up.

Yeah.

I think Ice-T won the show when it came down to one issue that Oprah brought up, Freedom of Speech vs. Social Responsibility.

Ice-t said something along the lines of "at the end of the day, you have to let that be on the artists, the artist has to make that choice, but we can't have the police or censors coming in and making that choice for people"

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 1