idiot_stimpy

Willfully killing yourself with Phowa technique

Good question. I dont think so, though. I think it would not 'escape', even if it failed to return. I might be quite wrong about this, it is just my sense of it.

Β 

I know somebody who got their spirit stuck half way , in their crown. they were calling it back, and it just got stuck half way , and the guy had to duck really low walking through doorways and didnt know how to get it back in and eventually went to mantak chia who sorted it for him.

Β 

:huh:

If the spirit escapes out of the top of the head and fails to return, will the body die?

Β 

Β 

If the spirit exits and goes for a travel, the body will not die. The reason is in order to get ot that state, the mind had already been prepared for internal breathing. It happens naturally with this kind of practice.

Β 

The body will remain in a state of internal breathing. Outside looks dead, inside is functioning slowly.

Β 

If the spirit is half in half out, it requires the cultivator to do it again ,and apply techniques to guide back in. If it gets stuck in some realm, it requires the cultivator, and or someone else who understands how to gather the spirit.

Β 

Thus a safeguard in doing this kind of practice is a 2 minute rule! Only allow for 2 minutes of travel and return at once. This should be stated befoe it is practiced.

Β 

Another safeguard is recitation of Amitabha Buddha's name, or any Buddha's name, 3x's,

along with the intention for practice and the reason for safeguarding yoru spirit.

Β 

Don't think for once that it is a safe thing to do without a safeguard. Anything can influence you out there and even enter into your body when the spirit is out. Some changes are obvious, while others aren't.

Β 

Safeguard the mind!

• Like 2

Safeguard the mind!

Β 

Also, there are ways to set up a field to protect your body so nothing gets in. Some can use talismans, or mentally projecting an energy field around the space of their body.

Β 

BUT, that only protects the body. You need a safeguard for the mind, spirit, and thus reciting a Buddha's name, or a highly cultivated WISE being you have affinities with, who is without physical body. Sometimes highly cultivated beings that we have had communication with, and or affinities with will also be good. Yet, from my experience, relying on the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas no room for error on the part of when we call, who is really taking their form?

Β 

Anywho, this is just a basic approach, but definitely important to consider.

Edited by 林愛偉

Good stuff, lin - that's also mentioned in taoist yoga, indicating it can spontaneously leap, but all of the initial notations say to immediately bring the spirit back, and once it is comfortable, then "short trips," returning soon, there is no rush.

• Like 1

In his introduction to his translation of the TTC, Wayne L Wang suggested that it is possible for a person to be totally lost of Tao (spirit leaving the body) but that Tao is ever-present and one can always return to Tao (regain one's spirit). Not that all do, but it is possible.

@idiot-stimpy,

Β 

Hi,

Β 

You really should read more about Phowa sir/miss/ma'am.

Β 

The Tibetan Buddhist texts call this the "forceful ejection of the mind out of the body."

Β 

Is it a form of suicide? NO.

Β 

Phowa is not meant to commit suicide because one isn't the body to begin with nor is it taught in a nonchalant way for offing one's "self."

Phowa is meant to benefit ALL sentient beings by having the yogi enter another body to continue teaching.

Also, I believe that Phowa is to be done when a yogi is about to die anyway, not "Gee, I feel really bummed about Samsara...NIrvana here I come!!!! Weeeee"

Β 

By the way, I'm not trying to disrespect or belittle you, PLEASE understand me when I say this.

Β 

God bless you!

stefos

Edited by stefos
  • Like 1

No problem, the question was raised in my mind due to reading about it in a book. I understand it is meant to be done at death, but if someone managed to do this well before death due to experimentation, could it kill the body?

No problem, the question was raised in my mind due to reading about it in a book. I understand it is meant to be done at death, but if someone managed to do this well before death due to experimentation, could it kill the body?

Β 

Β 

Nope, it wont kill the body. The methods for leaving the body sound simple, but the ability to concentrate and strengthen that power in order to actually do the deed and go on a ticket free vacation takes time and effort.

Β 

One can attain the ability through sitting in Chan, as an outcome of practice, and or one can develop it by actually just practicing the method. Chan develops concentration power, and thus is much more advised to do for concentration power keeps the external influences at bay.... like an apple, every day a bit more of concentration power keeps those demons and false thoughts away... hahaha

• Like 1