Sign in to follow this  
hydrogen

See the world through the eyes of an impressionist painter.

I used to love impressionism paintings though I didn't understand their theory until I saw it myself with their way of observing the world.

The traditional painters use color, line, shade and light to create three dimensional objects with depth. The impressionists think there is no inheritent boundary between objects. They paint their picture flat with dots of color to capture what they see without deception. The viewers contruct the color information into some objects.

During my "crazy" period, I indeed saw the world this way. It was so beautiful. The whole world was a sparkling of colors, no individual objects, no sense of depth.

Now I lost the "ability" because it's hard to drive if I couldn't judge the distance of the cars.

I wonder if anyone have similar experiences. Can you do it regularly? How to you swich back and forth between the "normal" view and impressionist view?

Thanks.

I have experimented quite a bit with altering my visual perception. To achieve the impressionist view I imagine myself breathing in through my eyes and giving equal attention to my peripheral view as the center of my vision. I then relax and imagine everything is projected on top of a two dimensional plane. It helps when the imagery is busy, like looking through trees in a forest, or a crowded cafe, or water, as the impressionists loved to do. I think it has a lot to do with shifting attention to the sense of seeing, rather than the reaction of seeing. The reaction to seeing is the feedback image after the brain processes objects and shapes and categorizes them by threat and function.

I used to love impressionism paintings though I didn't understand their theory until I saw it myself with their way of observing the world.

The traditional painters use color, line, shade and light to create three dimensional objects with depth. The impressionists think there is no inheritent boundary between objects. They paint their picture flat with dots of color to capture what they see without deception. The viewers contruct the color information into some objects.

During my "crazy" period, I indeed saw the world this way. It was so beautiful. The whole world was a sparkling of colors, no individual objects, no sense of depth.

Now I lost the "ability" because it's hard to drive if I couldn't judge the distance of the cars.

I wonder if anyone have similar experiences. Can you do it regularly? How to you swich back and forth between the "normal" view and impressionist view?

Thanks.

I simply remove my spectacles.

Instant Matisse.

• Like 1

I simply remove my spectacles.

Instant Matisse.

What! Naked people dancing?

Matisse+the+Dance.jpg

Yep we like it.

Compared to the bleak and treeless northern wastes we hail from, Leicestershire's a veritable sylvan utopia.

A lot drier and warmer too.

Yep we like it.

Compared to the bleak and treeless northern wastes we hail from, Leicestershire's a veritable sylvan utopia.

A lot drier and warmer too.

You are refering to Nottingham I assume :)

Shotingham they call that round here.

Murder capital of the East Midlands.

Dreadful city.

We are from the High Pennines above Saddleworth Moor.

The home of sideways rain.

Sign in to follow this