Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

The Norse Havamal, a modern interpretation

Northern Wisdom: The Havamal, Tao of the Vikings

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B006Z800CY/

I read the old version of the Havamal for a Norse Mythology class, and found it very interesting. It's a collection of wise sayings from the Vikings, mythically attributed to Odin. Many of these wise ways of living aren't emphasized in our culture these days, but we'd totally benefit from learning and implementing them! This modern interpretation is pretty fantastic...it's a great compliment to the Tao Te Ching, in my opinion, for having small quotes to remember which can enrich our lives. The subject matter is much more practical in tone.

Something interesting about the Viking culture is that they HIGHLY valued these types of wise sayings. They would memorize them, and often test each other's wisdom upon meeting...if they heard something that was new, they'd have another saying to impress upon their minds. It was like a friendly game of wits.

They lived by these ideas...sometimes making really poor decisions, but with the intention of making the most effective decisions.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Thanks 1

Norse Mythology by Kevin Crossley Holland is also an excellent modern rendition of the myths.

Edited by OldChi

Northern Wisdom: The Havamal, Tao of the Vikings

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B006Z800CY/

I read the old version of the Havamal for a Norse Mythology class, and found it very interesting. It's a collection of wise sayings from the Vikings

I have no familiarity with it beyond Thor and Thor II.  Could you quote a few favorite lines? 

I have no familiarity with it beyond Thor and Thor II.  Could you quote a few favorite lines? 

I will quote a few things, but I don't really have favorites...only look at it now and then...

Modernized Verse 2

Hail to the Host!

A guest has arrived.

Are you prepared,

to give him a place to rest?

A weary traveler may be impatient,

for warmth and kindness.

Keywords: Hospitality, Promptness

So there we see a part of Nordic culture that most don't realize existed...they considered it wise to be very hospitable. There are also a few verses after this one about making the person feel welcome to stop by any time, giving them fresh clothes, etc.

Modernized Verse 5

If you plan to travel

have your wits about you.

Pay attention,

The unwise should stay at home.

You will be considered a fool and mocked,

if you can't speak intelligently with other men.

Keywords: Alertness, General Knowledge, Worldliness

The Havamal was attributed to Odin, and here we see a couple of characteristics of Odin...he was known to travel, and he was known to test the wits and wisdom of others as well as be tested himself. This shows how the culture highly valued someone who could basically impress other people with their wit in speaking, and also showed how the outside world was full of various dangers (being mocked for instance) that could be avoided if you had wisdom.

Modernized Verse 8

It's a fortunate man,

who is well respected by others,

for the deeds he has done himself.

It's more difficult if you rely on others,

to help make your good reputation.

Keywords: Accomplishment, Self-reliance

So here we have another bit of practical wisdom...accomplish things by your own effort and it will be more respectable.

Much of the book is like this kind of practical wisdom, where if you can remember the sayings, it can potentially help you make better choices in life. There are verses on avoiding becoming drunk, for instance...because it takes away your ability to think clearly. This is opposite of how we tend to view Vikings based on most of pop culture references.

There are also passages on the runes in the book, and perhaps other subjects which aren't so practical. The rune stuff doesn't really make any sense, as the tradition is considered lost to time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this