healingtouch

direct transmission thru a book/webcast

For anyone wondering, I just happened on a paragraph in a book that describes to a T what direct transmission is supposed to feel like. The book is Meditation Techniques of the Buddhist and Taoist Masters by Daniel Odier.

THE IMPORTANCE OF A MASTER

The presence of a master is indispensable for all thorough study. He knows all the subtleties of the road that will be traversed by the disciple, and can not only guide him but can also prevent him from losing his way in numerous difficulties. In addition, through the transfer of a psychic force, the master can from the start give the disciple an extraordinary energy that permits him to experience a kind of necessary orbital propulsion. This sudden launching is so powerful that it equips him with a form of realization at the outset, which he will later have to repeat on his own. Here one gets a glimpse of the goal, which is not theoretical but has been experienced through a brief Illumination provoked by the master in the course of the initiation. All the schools recognize the importance of a master, but each looks at it from a different angle. The master alone can render to his disciple the accessible,clear, luminous way, by giving to him not a method but the method that agrees with his personality. At the beginning, as well as at the end, the master will always be there in order to provide light and open new and unending horizons

• Like 1

your opinion: possible or not possible?

Also, please list in this thread books/webcasts claiming to offer such a transmission.

Without wanting to sound like a pain in the ass, but it really does depend on what you mean by transmission!

Things/objects can hold qi, or a charge. This is not the same as something that carries an echo due to intent. Either can be intentional or unintentional. Giving someone qi is not the same as using qi to pass on information.

I would also say that a book that opens/unlocks something in an individual is not necessarily a 'transmission' either. It is more that individuals consciousness reacting to the words, just as it may to a sunset, or a comment from someone, or a lovers touch or kiss. All of which can be considered transmissions of a kind, but is more what someone receives from something rather than what is 'given'.

Shaktipat works in person, over the phone, via webchat, through a photo. The intensity and degree it works will of course vary. Time and distance are irrelevant. Even having shaktipat from the same individual, in person, on different occasions will be experienced very differently, bear this in mind.

I have had shaktipat from the same person in all of the above ways on more than one occasion, so I at least have some comparison.

Aligning your consciousness, or at least attempting to do so, is just that, and there is a different thing that occurs if they align back.

ime reading a text can and does link one directly to the author and the lineage behind that author in a very palpable and powerful way. wether you are aware of it, is one thing, the other thing, is wether the author or lineage is interested in you, or not.

+1,000,000 and more

I guess this whole thread diverted a bit off topic almost right after it started, but the initial question format contributed to it mightily.

My feeling is that it was about transmission in mahamudra and dzogchen lineages, specifically:

- pointing out instruction

- transmission that allows you to practice certain teachings (many of them are not allowed to be practiced by those who do not have appropriate transmission)

but I can only speak for myself and not for healingtouch.

My (very limited) understanding so far is that pointing out instructions are somewhat possible "by distance", same as it's somewhat possible to transmit shakti by distance (by somewhat, I mean it's usually less effective/powerful, than in person). At worst, it has no effect, but same can happen with live pointing out instruction.

As for books, I'm not aware of any author who claims transmission is "part" of the book (in respect to mahamudra and dzogchen). IMHO transmission can happen through book as well (as some wrote already), but it's not transmission in terms of "pointing out instructions" nor in terms of "being allowed to practice 'secret' teachings", but a "general type of transmission".

ime reading a text can and does link one directly to the author and the lineage behind that author in a very palpable and powerful way. wether you are aware of it, is one thing, the other thing, is wether the author or lineage is interested in you, or not.

What do you mean by this Cat?

I fell across an article that seemed to be about this but I find it curious nevertheless.