ralis

Political Ethics for Taoists and Buddhists

I concur

why does life aim seemly for higher coherence + intelligence

As you asked,...the motive for "higher coherence" is to return to Source, to the Tao. However, that impulse is filtered through the ego and 6 senses, which can NEVER integrate with Source, because they are not of Source. This is very upsetting for ego, because ego believes it has some purpose.

I often say, humanism see (divided)light as traveling 186k mps,...but from (Undivided)Light's point of view, it travels no distance in no time and thus has no need of speed. Neither Mass, Energy, nor Time can integrate with Unconditional Light. To return to Source, you must let go of Mass, Energy, and Time,...which means you must let go of ego and the 6 senses, which are born from Mass, Energy, and Time.

There is no energy in the Tao. Energy is simply the movement to return to Source,...which will NEVER occur,...because Source contains no movement.

V

Seems to me we're not training our political leaders properly.

^ This. No matter how much one wants to demonize "corporatism" or "crony capitolism" (aka crony 'capitalism' aka how everything seems to get done in washington and in most political offices across the world, aka not capitalism) one cannot say its all the corporations fault for having bought the politicians and not blame the politicians for having been bought in the first place.

Simple, straightforward adherence to law. If politicians had it hammered into their mushskulls morals, ethics, sound governance, ideally such briberies would be avoided.

Things are such that by this point its mostly the greedy and narcissistic that run for office.

I'd also like to add in that the downstream effect of the buying of politicians is that sound money policy (ya know, one of the actual responsibilities of the government, unlike feeding, clothing, propping up businesses/industries esp those of the politically connected, etc etc) eventually goes right out the window once corruption enters the game. Once that starts happening then people need to start cooking books to make things "appear" to be sound. On the extreme end you wind up with Greece, or the quote from a random Cuban: "they pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work."

The root of soundness is honesty, whether it is government, monetary policy, foreign policy, domestic - hell even your credit score is a measure of your level of honesty and forthrightness. (When in frick's sake is the fed going to get audited?)

So how to get from point A to point B for public officials? Tresspasses should be dealt with as harshly as the law allows for and the public should use its muscle to demand resignations where appropriate.

It'd be a good idea to come up with some sort of "politicians hippocratic oath" wherein each pol should recognize that the government is there to serve the people, not the other way around. That each dollar spent by the government must first be taken by force of law from its citizens before it is spent. That rainy day funds are not to be spent in good times. That books must be balanced, often, monthly if not quarterly. That Unions can be replaced by any private company willing to simply do a good job if they feel the already overly generous gifts are not sufficient (and by that rationale, I'd think private management of government operations would be a good thing, because then it would be easier to fire them if they were not performing.) That donations should not equal face time, much less legislative action. That the government should be felt as little as possible so that each individual may have the most opportunity available. The acceptance that each governmental action carries with it both seen and unseen effects that often overlook how such words shape the action of those who follow it.

Until the culture of politicians is replaced with a true public servant ideal of a politician, we will continue to have problems. Those that continue to think its no big deal to ask half, two thirds, three quarters of the earnings of people that might do well and spend it on things that have little to no return whatsoever are fooling themselves - we wonder why it is, and demonize, companies that move operations overseas - mostly without asking what the hell happened that prompted them to do so in the first place, simply chalking it up to greed and never minding the endless litany of barricades, hoops to jump through, entitlements, millions of additional incremental expenses that equate to death by a thousand paper cuts.

Its funny because if you look at political writings of taoists of old, you can easily see the same notions of thrift, individual responsibility, honesty, etc. Many of the same things that are being championed by the tea party, because fiscal insanity is our most immediate danger - not asteroids, the environment, gay marriage, or any other sideshow, much as our resident progressives try to assert that sideshows are all the tea party is about, nevermind the prudent fiscal measures that have already produced results in states sane enough to go with them - and looky the fiscal disasters of CA, IL, CT, etc that have gone the other way and their finances are worse than ever.

Hate to make it about money, but I just really need to make it about honesty - not gonna have the proverbial star trek level of social services that progressives crave without the star trek level of technology and energy generation to go with it. Sorry peoples, Humans have not quite reached that threshold yet where they can collectively ease back into their rocking chairs and smile at the wonderful society they've created - we're still stuck in the stone ages of individuals having to take care of themselves for now until we can surpass such thresholds. Those that wish to fool themselves about that fact are simply destined to repeat the more repugnant histories of their forefathers and will wonder what happened to their paddle when shit creek's rapids start hitting the bottom of the boat.

---

I have to disagree with a seeker about purpose. There isnt much that doesnt have purpose, but I wont elaborate right now since I have already spent too much time typing and kicked the plug out once :lol:

• Like 2

As you asked,...the motive for "higher coherence" is to return to Source, to the Tao. However, that impulse is filtered through the ego and 6 senses, which can NEVER integrate with Source, because they are not of Source. This is very upsetting for ego, because ego believes it has some purpose.

I often say, humanism see (divided)light as traveling 186k mps,...but from (Undivided)Light's point of view, it travels no distance in no time and thus has no need of speed. Neither Mass, Energy, nor Time can integrate with Unconditional Light. To return to Source, you must let go of Mass, Energy, and Time,...which means you must let go of ego and the 6 senses, which are born from Mass, Energy, and Time.

There is no energy in the Tao. Energy is simply the movement to return to Source,...which will NEVER occur,...because Source contains no movement.

V

I think I read somewhere

something like

the only thing that is real is that which doesn't vibrate < energy

I am coming to a greater understanding I think of no-self

or at least the conditioning of self < false self

what about things that don't seem to be conditioned

such as ones enjoyment for certain music, art or mangoes?

Energy is simply the movement to return to Source,...which will NEVER occur

Is this inline with such thought as // perfection can never be reached?

so we will be ever seeking perfection // the "divine discontent" ?

but perfection is the unobtainable

though we will constantly "evolve" becoming more in the likeness to THAT though never achieving THAT

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

So how to get from point A to point B for public officials? Tresspasses should be dealt with as harshly as the law allows for and the public should use its muscle to demand resignations where appropriate.

The mechanisms are certainly in place,...for example,...In May 2002, the 9th District Court said that the "The Pledge, as currently codified, is an impermissible government endorsement of religion because it sends a message to unbelievers that they are outsiders, not full members of the political community, and an accompanying message to adherents that they are insiders, favored members of the political community."

Shortly after the 9th Court ruled the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional, the Senate, on the following day approved a resolution "expressing support for the unconstitutional Pledge of Allegiance." The resolution passed 99-0.

Every US Senator was, according to the Constitution (the 14th Amendment), in affect an anti-American, and should have been fired. However, as the majority of Americans are also anti-American, this Country continues to endorse the God meme, in direct violation to the Constitution.

Interestingly, America is one nation under a Constitution. Although the Constitution sets up a representative democracy, it specifically was amended with the Bill of Rights in 1791 to uphold individual and minority rights. On constitutional matters we do not have majority rule. The majority has no right to tyrannize the minority on matters such as race, gender, sex, or religion. And yet Americas Christian majority believe that they do have such a right.

As such, for a politician who will actually put their Oath to Constitution before their faith-based agenda is not only rare, but non-existent.

There are 0 (fully) Liberal Politicians in the US Federal Government today.

V

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 2

^ This. No matter how much one wants to demonize "corporatism" or "crony capitolism" (aka crony 'capitalism' aka how everything seems to get done in washington and in most political offices across the world, aka not capitalism) one cannot say its all the corporations fault for having bought the politicians and not blame the politicians for having been bought in the first place.

<snip>

Its funny because if you look at political writings of taoists of old, you can easily see the same notions of thrift, individual responsibility, honesty, etc. Many of the same things that are being championed by the tea party, because fiscal insanity is our most immediate danger - not asteroids, the environment, gay marriage, or any other sideshow, much as our resident progressives try to assert that sideshows are all the tea party is about, nevermind the prudent fiscal measures that have already produced results in states sane enough to go with them - and looky the fiscal disasters of CA, IL, CT, etc that have gone the other way and their finances are worse than ever.

Hate to make it about money, but I just really need to make it about honesty - not gonna have the proverbial star trek level of social services that progressives crave without the star trek level of technology and energy generation to go with it. Sorry peoples, Humans have not quite reached that threshold yet where they can collectively ease back into their rocking chairs and smile at the wonderful society they've created - we're still stuck in the stone ages of individuals having to take care of themselves for now until we can surpass such thresholds. Those that wish to fool themselves about that fact are simply destined to repeat the more repugnant histories of their forefathers and will wonder what happened to their paddle when shit creek's rapids start hitting the bottom of the boat.

---

I have to disagree with a seeker about purpose. There isnt much that doesnt have purpose, but I wont elaborate right now since I have already spent too much time typing and kicked the plug out once :lol:

I totally agree with your post, joeblast! (I only snipped to save electrons...)

BTW, I wasn't saying that I don't believe in "purpose" -- and I think Vmarco took it that way, too. I was only saying that using purposeful language in a position statement based on the premise of evolution points to either a misunderstanding of evolutionary theory or a subconscious non-acceptance of that theory.

Personally, I have some issues with that theory... :)

• Like 3

what about things that don't seem to be conditioned

such as one enjoyment for certain music, art or mangoes?

Music, art, and mangoes do not exist outside of the nature of things. LOL

Heaven is a delusion of ego.

I totally agree with your post, joeblast! (I only snipped to save electrons...)

If you dissect JB's post, his narrative is thinly disguised 'Social Darwinism', anti-union, deregulation, neo-liberalism and pro corporate fascism. Under the Tea Bagger Republican regime, there will be no safety net for anyone. His favorite politician Ron Paul believes that the 'Civil Rights Act' is unconstitutional.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Manifestly false.

fas·cism

   [fash-iz-uhm]

noun

( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

hmm...let's dissect this one...

what have my thoughts been regarding...

centralized power?

free speech, criticism?

regimenting industry, commerce, etc?

nationalism?

racism?

Every single one I view opposite of the definition of fascism. Your political batting average is about the same as your AGW batting average - somewhere slightly above zero.

Now that I've shot down your non-argument yet again, care to try and add something that's actually constructive to the discussion?

Your definition of fascism is the end result and not the cause of.

I know very well what fascism is and your corporate wish to have more government programs privatized is fascism. Private corporations are accountable to no one except themselves. Your dream that somehow such corporations can be fired is absolute nonsense.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Music, art, and mangoes do not exist outside of the nature of things. LOL

<_<

but i wuv mangoes :(:wub:

haha

how about ones enjoyment of things? delusion?

my enjoyment of such things is not conditioned by ego

• Like 1

I know very well what fascism is and your corporate wish to have more government programs privatized is fascism. Private corporations are accountable to no one except themselves. Your dream that somehow such corporations can be fired is absolute nonsense.

Anarchy in its most noble sense is the only solution

It would seem Ralis you are a fan of such?

with the Joker?

is the Joker crazy wisdom?

fascinating character - perhaps a tread of The Joker and Taoism?

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Your definition of fascism is the end result and not the cause of.

Lemme get this straight - corporations are somehow some singular entity, as compared to...the government?? Unions are not some singular entity that tells its members how to vote so as to best express the union's interests?

"More government programs privatized is fascism" -? Let's set aside for the moment the misquote and I'll take your quote directly - please, how would we as a people deal with a TSA that was privatized, where we had half a dozen different companies that could be hired if one company was overstepping its bounds? (to whit, where would those bounds be if that were a private company, hmm?)

Same question, now with the EPA?

Or reverse the situation wrt the fed? (and had it been so, how would the magnitude of our federal government's penchant for manipulation stand adjacent to the current iteration's mess? greener, the grass is.)

Sorry I am still at times skipping around some contexts, you seem to have trouble following when I do that and you jumble them all into one.

You're telling me I have things ass backwards? :lol:

"The corporations" only have "the power" when "the government" "enables" it via various methods. The enabling and all of the downstream effects thereof need to stop - therefore stop it at its root; stop the enablement, stop the padding, lobbying, etc, etc - but if the government agents of various sorts do not act with decent enough objectivity, it feeds the spring anew.

Backward Bill, Backward Bill,

He lived way up, on Backward Hill

Which is really a hole in the sandy ground,

But that's a hill, turned upside down :lol:

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1

The mechanisms are certainly in place,...for example,...In May 2002, the 9th District Court said that the "The Pledge, as currently codified, is an impermissible government endorsement of religion because it sends a message to unbelievers that they are outsiders, not full members of the political community, and an accompanying message to adherents that they are insiders, favored members of the political community."

Shortly after the 9th Court ruled the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional, the Senate, on the following day approved a resolution "expressing support for the unconstitutional Pledge of Allegiance." The resolution passed 99-0.

Every US Senator was, according to the Constitution (the 14th Amendment), in affect an anti-American, and should have been fired. However, as the majority of Americans are also anti-American, this Country continues to endorse the God meme, in direct violation to the Constitution.

Interestingly, America is one nation under a Constitution. Although the Constitution sets up a representative democracy, it specifically was amended with the Bill of Rights in 1791 to uphold individual and minority rights. On constitutional matters we do not have majority rule. The majority has no right to tyrannize the minority on matters such as race, gender, sex, or religion. And yet Americas Christian majority believe that they do have such a right.

As such, for a politician who will actually put their Oath to Constitution before their faith-based agenda is not only rare, but non-existent.

There are 0 (fully) Liberal Politicians in the US Federal Government today.

V

Per the first amendment, no student *must* say the pledge of allegiance.

• Like 1

V

I havent been addressing you because you have a rather bland obsession with religion. *shrug*

<snip>

However, a fascist is somewhat defined as one who has extreme right-wing views.

<snip>

I'm curious -- "somewhat defined" by whom?

My 2230 page, Unabridged Webster's dictionary 1996.

fascist, n. a person who is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views.

Edited by Vmarco

Historical documents. For more info., read the posts on fascism in off topic. Ian Kershaw is the eminent authority on fascism. Also William Shirer.

http://www.amazon.com/s/176-7307208-0305447?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=ian%20kershaw&sourceid=Mozilla-search

http://www.amazon.com/s/176-7307208-0305447?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=ian%20kershaw&sourceid=Mozilla-search#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=william+shirer&sprefix=william+shirer%2Caps%2C235&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awilliam+shirer

( ASCII text format )

The 14 Characteristics of Fascism

by Lawrence Britt

Spring 2003

Free Inquiry magazine

Political scientist Dr. Lawrence Britt recently wrote an article about fascism ("Fascism Anyone?," Free Inquiry, Spring 2003, page 20). Studying the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), and Pinochet (Chile), Dr. Britt found they all had 14 elements in common. He calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism. The excerpt is in accordance with the magazine's policy.

The 14 characteristics are:

Powerful and Continuing Nationalism

Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights

Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause

The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

Supremacy of the Military

Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

Rampant Sexism

The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy.

Controlled Mass Media

Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

Obsession with National Security

Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

Religion and Government are Intertwined

Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

Corporate Power is Protected

The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

Labor Power is Suppressed

Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed .

Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts

Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts.

Obsession with Crime and Punishment

Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

Rampant Cronyism and Corruption

Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

Fraudulent Elections

Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.

Copyright © 2003 Free Inquiry magazine

Reprinted for Fair Use Only.

This article was based upon the article "The Hallmarks of Fascist Regime" by Skip Stone, at www.hippy.com/php/article-226.html.

Edited by ralis

Powerful and Continuing Nationalism

Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights

Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause

Supremacy of the Military

Rampant Sexism

Controlled Mass Media

Obsession with National Security

Religion and Government are Intertwined

Corporate Power is Protected

Labor Power is Suppressed

Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts

Obsession with Crime and Punishment

Rampant Cronyism and Corruption

Fraudulent Elections

Sounds like the Tea Party agenda. Especially "Religion and Government are Intertwined"

Sounds like the Tea Party agenda. Especially "Religion and Government are Intertwined"

Being from Aus, I have never understood how liberty came to mean Ron Paul in the states?

V

:blink: wow, dude. because I point out that you have some deep seeded issues with religion, you paint me with your stereotype of the crazy right winger whose views will destroy the country. go ahead and put all sorts of words in my mouth just like ralis, that will make you look reeeal clever. just like your trying to bait me with whatever the hell the senate did ten years ago - ya know what I say? the senate has better freakin things to be doing than worrying about the pledge of allegiance or steroids in baseball or whatever the hell else they waste their time on. that is for the judiciary and supreme court to determine - and it goes right back to my speaking to being truly honest and not doing something because its popular or will buy you votes! were I a senator I would have abstained from such a vote on the grounds of it being not-the-job-of-the-senate.

my point is that your entire angle is religion based and it frankly is less of an immediate concern than other matters - things you have said little to nothing about. I'm simply not interested in your particular version of atheism, just like I'm not interested when the jehovahs witnesses come to my door, just like I'm not really all that interested in whatever the flavor du jour of anarchy or some distant equivalent people think might be somewhat viable but not, sans asteroid impact. you know damn well that I love my country and the ideas that founded it but at the same time am level headed enough to put humanity ahead of pig headed pride in something. if your perceptions are *that* out of calibration, I'm simply not going to deal with it, sorry.

I will make a brief distinction on my mention of Capitolism before - that's the fascist bits. CapitAlism in a truly free market, well, that's an entirely different story and why I just chuckle and shake my head at you guys when you attempt to call me a supporter of things fascist. Patently absurd, wholly false, and I'm not going to argue with idiots, feed the trolls, waste the shit out of my time like that, I spend enough as it is.

Being from Aus, I have never understood how liberty came to mean Ron Paul in the states?

Because he's one of the only ones that's ok with entirely lifting the veil and making things actually transparent, fixing up the problems with the federal reserve (good luck with that disasterbacle) and actually sticking by constitutional matters even when inconvenient? and most everyone else will just go along to get along? (and that's supposed to be one of the things the tea party was against, going along to get along - no, just do it right, honest, forthright, the first time. obamacare was the straw that broke that camel's back into action and it showed at the ballot box in 2010.

wow, dude. because I point out that you have some deep seeded issues with religion, you paint me with your stereotype of the crazy right winger whose views will destroy the country.

my point is that your entire angle is religion based and it frankly is less of an immediate concern than other matters - things you have said little to nothing about.

What you have shown in your posts is a Tea Party mentality,...which encourages a Christocratic agenda for America, as already proven during the past two years through over 40,000 new, mostly Tea Party inspired, laws that intrude upon Americans. But of course, you don't want to hear that.

Your Tea Party has no intention of fixing the Fed,...they merely want to Christianize it further. Actually, you don't seem to have a clue about the US monetary system,...other than Tea Party talking points.

Try this for a progessive understanding:

Second,...your view regarding the cancer of religion upon America is sad. Nearly all America's problems are related to the illegal government endorsements of the Christian meme by the deluded majority. Nothing is more immediate for the health and well being of America than ceasing of the Tax free-ride, despotism, morality, Christian Justice System, and tyranny enjoyed by the Christian majority.

You want to build a beautiful vision for America males upon a canvas of decaying Christian dung,...it cannot be done. Talk about wasting your time,...that's all you're doing. The ONLY way to get America in Order, is to take America back from the Christians who have be underminding it since the 1950's.

The McCarthy Era never ended,...it just got worse.

You say you want honest politicians,...how is that going occur as long as those who get voted in put their faith-based agendas before their Oath to the Constitution?

The facts of your posts not only show that you are dishonest in your views, but that you don't have a clue about the insideous problems facing America.

Very few Americans have any sense of its Founding,...or the Founding Fathers. Their view of history is a revisionist one, that promotes the Judeo-Christian religion.

You spew that I've made no specific mention of how to fix things,...which means you're fully in denial, and/or fully dishonest.

If I wasn't forced, against my will, to pay taxes to subsidize the Christian meme,...things would be different. If I wasn't forced to be represented by those who put their faith-based agendas before their Oath to uphold the Constitution,....things would be different. If I wasn't forced to live under intrusive Tea Party laws that only fully serve white Judeo-Christian males,....things would be different.

I want my America back from today's revisionist Judeo-Christian fascists. I think it's time to honor the Founding Father's and their contributions.

It's time a statue of the Father of the American Revolution and person who coined the term United States of America be dedicated in Wash, DC. "Washington's sword would have been yielded in vain had it not been supported by the pen of Paine" James Monroe

In the meantime, may the words of Thomas Jefferson hurry up in their fulfillment:

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -- Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson's Works, Vol. IV, p.365, Randolph's ed.

"Mr. Lincoln was not a Christian." Mary Todd Lincoln

"Religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy." Barry Goldwater