Sign in to follow this  
Enishi

Synthetic Materials and Yin Qi

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever experienced issues with synthetic materials (like carpet) blocking access to Yin Qi? Honestly speaking, I haven't.

I'm interested as well to hear about what others experiences are in working with Yin. For me, I've noticed that forced intent only seems to impact Yang, while for Yin you need to first feel it, then "let go" to allow it to move upward.

Edited by Enishi

I notice negative effects when wearing synthetic clothing, versus natural like cotton.

Don't know about its effects when between the earth and the body. It's a really good question.

Edit:

Also, I think magnetic is the carrier for electric...it's like electric is gold dust and magnetic is water, that can move the electric (kinda like my experience of it). They are inseparable as "qi" or spiritual energy. Magnetic is related to the lower body not necessarily the connection to the earth itself, and electric is related to the upper body but not necessarily the sky itself. Physical connection to the earth ("earthing") causes a balancing of excess energy which is good for health...but it's also a loss of electromagnetic qi. I was taught that this is good some time after practice (like at least an hour later), not during, since it will drain your kidney qi.

Edited by Scotty

I find I have problems with static build-up in winter. I don't feel great around 100% synthetics, it has a kind of a cold, repulsive quality to it (also not good IME when it comes to managing heat, although if it's mixed in small amounts for stretch etc that seems ok)

I just finished an hour of Stillness-Movement meditation on the bare stone floor of my basement.

My level of focus did go deeper than usual, and there was a stronger sense of Yin Qi. I'm not sure if that was due to the lack of carpet though so much as it was the more "cave-like" atmosphere.

I think I will make the basement my main meditation area from now on.

Edited by Enishi

I just finished an hour of Stillness-Movement meditation on the bare stone floor of my basement.

My level of focus did go deeper than usual, and there was a stronger sense of Yin Qi. I'm not sure if that was due to the lack of carpet though so much as it was the more "cave-like" atmosphere.

I think I will make the basement my main meditation area from now on.

What is your definition of "Yin Qi"....???

Hiya.

This is something I've also been curious about. Particularly in relation to the many people who are getting into "earthing"- see earthinginstitute.com

Although it seems like a very healthy thing to consciously/unconsciously resonate at the same frequency as the planet, I do wonder how necessary it is to actually walk barefoot or use some of the earthing technology out there like grounded mats, shoes, etc. This is because for a long time I have been of the impression that the actual field of the Earth is so immense that it would be silly to think that a little bit of plastic, wood, or metal could actually hinder our ability to resonate with it. However, over time, I've come to feel that this is actually variable depending on 1) sensitivity/openness of the individual (particularly in relation to nature), 2) electromagnetic-pollution, and 3) qigong/energetic skill.

So, my thoughts are that it is dependent on all these factors....

@Scotty - I've never really thought that earthing/grounding could be detrimental?? Perhaps there should be a distinguishment between what is actually going on energetically when one says they are earthing/grounding- my idea/definition is that this is resonating / attempting to harmonise with the frequency/qi of the planet; whereas perhaps what you are referring to is a practice where more of an exchange is manifested between the individual and the earth... what do you think? How does your own practice teach you about what's going on here?

A

@Scotty - I've never really thought that earthing/grounding could be detrimental?? Perhaps there should be a distinguishment between what is actually going on energetically when one says they are earthing/grounding- my idea/definition is that this is resonating / attempting to harmonise with the frequency/qi of the planet; whereas perhaps what you are referring to is a practice where more of an exchange is manifested between the individual and the earth... what do you think? How does your own practice teach you about what's going on here?

I think with earthing, both resonating and exchanging occur.

With the exchange, you are giving away your body heat as well as excess electromagnetic energy...if I remember correctly, it's said that negative ions are then given from the earth in exchange...as well as the ability to resonate at a healthier frequency. So it's a good thing to do. I've read that the organs function best without an excess of energy, in one of Yang Jwing Ming's books.

In my view, "there is a time for everything". A time to disconnect from the earth, and build qi for some purpose. A time to connect with the earth and drain/ground/harmonize the qi.

I was surprised to find out that Jim (the Mo Pai dude) was instructed to do his qi building on the bare ground. I really don't know if a person is slowly harming themselves with that, especially in the winter when the body heat drains out so easily.

Anyway, I really am just talking out of my ass...I have no idea. :lol:

What is your definition of "Yin Qi"....???

In my current understanding Yin Qi would be Qi that is contractive and dormant, whereas Yang Qi is more expansive.

Describing the sensations of working with Yin is harder than describing Yang. With Yang Qi a little bit of mental force can produce feelings of heat and tingling moving on a linear path along the limbs or in the body.

Yin is very different though. My experience of it is like that of a non-local fluid/field that pulls one in. There's a sense of electric force, but no "tingling". At times there are also strong sensations cold, wetness, darkness, earthiness, etc.

I think Kostas is partly correct in his description of Gravity as being a manifestation of Yin Qi.

Edited by Enishi

To me Yin Qi And Yang Qi sound analogous in some respects to the primal essences described in Bardon's system:

http://www.abardoncompanion.com/IIH-Intro&Theory.html

The Electric and the Magnetic Fluids:

Bardon does not write extensively about the Electric and Magnetic Fluids in the Theory section of IIH. He does, however, speak of it in the ten Steps and in his other books, especially KTQ and Q&A. But in no one spot does he clearly and exhaustively define these terms.

Probably the first question that arises is what does he mean by "Fluid"? By Fluid, Bardon indicates an energy or essence that manifests motion and handles in a manner similar to water. Both Fluids are dynamic things. IIH teaches the student how to manipulate or wield these Fluids, form them into whatever shape is desired and impregnate them with any corresponding wish.

These two Fluids are the primal polarity and are effective in every plane of existence. The Electric Fluid is the positive, expansive pole and the Magnetic Fluid is the opposite negative, contractive pole. As with a physical magnet, these poles cannot be separated -- they are manifest through the continuum that unites them in their eternal embrace. Both forces are equal and interdependent, and have been described in every culture in one way or another. At the highest level, these poles are expressed through the two faces of The One.

The Fluids are the root of the Elements Fire and Water. This is why, in the course of IIH, the student looks within the Fire Element for the Electric Fluid and within the Water Element for the Magnetic Fluid. It is in fact, difficult for the student to at first differentiate between the primary Elements and the Fluids. But there is a difference -- it's just difficult to explain.

Within the Fire Element, the Electric Fluid is found in the Fire's expansiveness, heat and light. The Magnetic Fluid is found within the Water's contractiveness, cold and darkness. The Magnetic Fluid gives form to the Electric force and everywhere in our world, they act in unison. The Fluids are the two primal forces and the Elements are their extensions or modifications.

Each of the Elements can be said to have a specific ElectroMagnetic charge. The Fire Element is predominantly Electric and the Water, Magnetic. The Air represents a balance of the two Fluids (the continuum which connects these two poles) -- the perfect hermaphrodite, capable of accepting the influence of either Fluid. The fourth pole of the quadrapolar magnet, Elemental Earth, represents the combined action of these three ElectroMagnetic charges.

This is often difficult for the novice to understand. It requires careful consideration to see how, at a philosophical level, the combination of parts can sometimes equal more than the sum of its parts. In this case, the amplification of effect occurs because the parts which combine are each dynamic things. Their dynamism makes them interactive and together, they make something new which does not exist at the level of their independent parts. Thus the Elemental Earth contains not only the Electric and Magnetic balance of Air, but also the raw polarities of Fire and Water. Together, they work in a dynamic, rhythmic and cyclic manner. It is the combination and interaction of these three dynamic parts that causes things to manifest solidity in each of the three mediums or substances (Mental, Astral and Physical).

The serious work with the Fluids doesn't begin until the eighth Step of IIH, so there is little point in listing too many correspondences for the Fluids here. Between now and Step Eight, you'll have plenty of time to become familiar with the Fluids on your own. In the mean time, here are a few notes from Bardon's own comments as relayed by his direct students in the book "Questions and Answers" --

MENTAL (page 24, question #19): "The Electric Fluid fills abstract thoughts with pure Electric Fluid, warmth, expansion and dynamics. The Magnetic Fluid fills them with pure Magnetic Fluid and the opposite attributes. For example, the Electric Fluid expresses itself through its attributes in willpower, while the Magnetic Fluid expresses itself in the antipole of the will, that is, in manifested belief, an aspect of the productive universal power."

ASTRAL (page 47, question #12): "Clairvoyance is an Electric ability of the astral body; clairsentience and psychometry are Magnetic abilities."

PHYSICAL (page 65, question #5): "If we are under the influence of the Electric Fluid, then the Fire Element is more effective in us. In this case we feel hot, or we are active to higher degrees, we work more diligently, and therefore we are internally satiated with the Fire Element. Through the increased influence of the Magnetic Fluid we perceive coldness; should the Magnetic Fluid become satiated within us, elimination increases."

(page 66, question #6): "On the surface of the human body, the ElectroMagnetic Fluid is effective as radiating life-magnetism. The right side of the body is (in the case of a right-handed person) the active or Electrical side, whereas the left side of the body is passive or Magnetic. The opposite is the case with a left-handed person.

"The Electric Fluid, through its expansion, causes radiating electrons on the inside of every body [i.e., physical thing], which on the other hand are attracted by the Magnetic Fluid of the earth. [This explains "gravity".] The Electric Fluid is located in the Inner of everything created, therefore also in the center of the earth, while the Magnetic Fluid is effective on the surface of the earth an on everything created. . . The Electric Fluid produces the acids in all organic or inorganic bodies or substances from a chemical or alchemical point of view, whereas the Magnetic Fluid is effective in an alkaline manner."

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), the Electric and Magnetic Fluids are not the same thing as the physical phenomena of electricity and magnetism. While they are analogously related, they are not the same. The physical phenomena of electricity and magnetism are each primarily caused by their corresponding Fluid but they are not purely one or the other Fluid -- they are each composed of the four Elements with a corresponding polarized predominance of either Fire or Water.

It is impossible for me to describe what it feels like to accumulate and project the Fluids. The only way to gain this insight is through direct experience, the key to which is to take careful note, in your daily life, of the qualities I described above and look for them, especially as you work with the Elements.

I notice negative effects when wearing synthetic clothing, versus natural like cotton.

I've noticed the opposite, such as with the new breathable materials,...they appear to allow Yin to flow outwards more freely. Of course, that is if you view Yin from Tao's point of view, and not filtered through a humanist viewpoint.

From Tao's point of view, Yin is centafugal, discharging, expansive, radiative, cooling, unfolding, radial motion, high frequency, conducting characteristics,...all synonyms of Yin's exhalative qualities. Water is Yin because it is moving away from form.

V

Sign in to follow this