Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

I'm thinking of getting my MS in Industrial and Organizational Psychology!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_organizational_psychology

http://www.sjsu.edu/psych/GraduatePrograms/industrialpsych/index.htm

http://www.socialpsychology.org/io.htm

I have about a year left for a BS in Psychology and was contemplating in getting a MSW (Masters in Social Work), but it seems that MS in IO, might be more suitable for me.

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences you heard about IO, would be great!:)

Thank You,

Leon

I have about a year left for a BS in Psychology and was contemplating in getting a MSW (Masters in Social Work), but it seems that MS in IO, might be more suitable for me.

Thank You,

Leon

Hello Leon,

I think it depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you're getting a psych degree to counsel others, then a degree in industrial or organizational psychology might not be the best bet. If you're leery of getting a degree in social work (the pay is abysmal) then you might consider getting a MS in psychology and going on for your Phd. I made the mistake of stopping at a BA in Psychology and it didn't really help much. I ended up working as a case manager and burnt out fast. Kudos to you for thinking ahead though. I would talk to your psych professors about this, they'd probably be able to give you some help in making this decision. Just steer clear of alternative psych degrees if you can.

Aaron

I have some friends who have that Organizational Psych degree. When someone you know has made a tough decision and sweated out a program of study, you dont tell them that its another useless ass degree that I wouldnt touch with a bargepole, because god forbid you actually get hired as a company cheerleader to get maximum output from human inputs for the benefit of shareholders. You know, everyone has a unique personality, some people are like fish in water in this type of environment, and people around you would know that.

Edited by de_paradise

Thank You,

Leon

Howdy -

I wish I could be more optimistic but from my perspective as a lowly geographer the future will not be kind to us social science and behavioral science majors. I sort of carved out my own brand of "End Times" geographical studies, based mostly on post-petroleum realities that many author/scientists have forecast, and some gigs are definitely better than others.

As the depletion of oil reserves forces a world-wide economic contraction, the scale of human enterprise is projected to get much smaller, almost neo-tribal, with food production becoming the most important industry. Any person who has well-honed agricultural skills, animal husbandry, permaculture, as well as 1850s-level craft skills will do fine. If the US were ever to wake up out of its oil-dependent consumer fog it could begin with local food production, revitalization of the the railroad system, and reconstruction of housing stock with super-insulated construction techniques. That would put millions of people back to work instantly, providing we could swing another run of the printing presses, but there would still be very little use for social science intellectuals like you and me.

I would harvest as much life sciences classes as possible and try to get into a medical program such as EMT/paramedic. They will always have meaningful work, and tribes of the future will treat them kindly. I'm joining an ecovillage in 2014 and am boning up on my former medic skills combined with medical chi kung. But I'll always be able to teach if that luxury avails itself. I still need to learn how to dress a freshly shot elk.

Best of luck!

Howdy -

I wish I could be more optimistic but from my perspective as a lowly geographer the future will not be kind to us social science and behavioral science majors. I sort of carved out my own brand of "End Times" geographical studies, based mostly on post-petroleum realities that many author/scientists have forecast, and some gigs are definitely better than others.

As the depletion of oil reserves forces a world-wide economic contraction, the scale of human enterprise is projected to get much smaller, almost neo-tribal, with food production becoming the most important industry. Any person who has well-honed agricultural skills, animal husbandry, permaculture, as well as 1850s-level craft skills will do fine. If the US were ever to wake up out of its oil-dependent consumer fog it could begin with local food production, revitalization of the the railroad system, and reconstruction of housing stock with super-insulated construction techniques. That would put millions of people back to work instantly, providing we could swing another run of the printing presses, but there would still be very little use for social science intellectuals like you and me.

I would harvest as much life sciences classes as possible and try to get into a medical program such as EMT/paramedic. They will always have meaningful work, and tribes of the future will treat them kindly. I'm joining an ecovillage in 2014 and am boning up on my former medic skills combined with medical chi kung. But I'll always be able to teach if that luxury avails itself. I still need to learn how to dress a freshly shot elk.

Best of luck!

Very well thought out. Or at least very like-minded with our perspective. There are small groups (tribe,clan,gang,etc) here(rural Kentucky) that is/has actively prepared for possible changes/challenges ahead. Competition will be keen. Good luck to you. Luck does seem to favor the prepared.

Edited by lazy cloud

Howdy -

Best of luck!

That was great!

Thank you!

I have some friends who have that Organizational Psych degree. When someone you know has made a tough decision and sweated out a program of study, you dont tell them that its another useless ass degree that I wouldnt touch with a bargepole, because god forbid you actually get hired as a company cheerleader to get maximum output from human inputs for the benefit of shareholders. You know, everyone has a unique personality, some people are like fish in water in this type of environment, and people around you would know that.

Can you tell me a little more about your friends and what they are doing currently?

Are they happy and so on?

Thank You!:)

Sign in to follow this