Seth Ananda

Taking Refuge.

Thanks Simple Jack, that was an enjoyable read.

I also wanted to add something that I overlooked earlier, and that is that the Sangha also comprises of all the teachers and Buddhists of the past. So in taking refuge in the Sangha, we can also think of all the writers and teachers that inspire us, as well as all those who try to "turn towards the Dharma."

Nice comments all around.

I've at times thought that there was an irony in the choice of words "take refuge."

Much of our suffering arises from the desire for security.

There is no greater security than the acceptance that security itself is an illusion.

And yet, the admonition for us to "take refuge," seems to reinforce this desire for security.

And yet, the admonition for us to "take refuge," seems to reinforce this desire for security.

I think taking refuge acknowledges the acute precariousness of our situation and the trouble caused by hope and fear. It is usually predicated with at least a cursory understanding of the Four Noble Truths which presents particular viewpoints on suffering, the causes of suffering, the possibility of the end of suffering, and finally the cessation of suffering. As Milarepa said

"In horror of death, I took to the mountains, Again and again I meditated on the uncertainty of the hour of death, Capturing the fortress of the deathless unending nature of mind. Now all fear of death is over and done."

IMHO Milarepa's quote demonstrates a combination of irreservable faith and innermost secret refuge - the nature of mind itself.

Edited by rex

I think taking refuge acknowledges the acute precariousness of our situation and the trouble caused by hope and fear. It is usually predicated with at least a cursory understanding of the Four Noble Truths which presents particular viewpoints on suffering, the causes of suffering, the possibility of the end of suffering, and finally the cessation of suffering. As Milarepa said

"In horror of death, I took to the mountains, Again and again I meditated on the uncertainty of the hour of death, Capturing the fortress of the deathless unending nature of mind. Now all fear of death is over and done."

IMHO Milarepa's quote demonstrates a combination of irreservable faith and innermost secret refuge - the nature of mind itself.

Perfect :)

Steve, to me taking refuge, first starts with the Buddha, which is our own Buddha nature, so as I said previously, It represents turning away from taking refuge from suffering in the 10000 thing, all the ways we try to hide from the reality of our own Impermanence.

Then taking refuge goes next to the Dharma and the Sangha, which are the things that will help us find our Buddha Nature.

That to me does not fully equal finding a new security blanket. Sure, It can bring about a restful place sometimes, but in the attempt to find ones own Buddha Nature, all security gets tossed aside as we try to let the uncomfortable truths penetrate us.

Also on a more esoteric level, I do believe that when we take Refuge, we enter the blessing fields of the Buddha's and Bodhisattva's, and come under a protective or guiding Influence, at least as much as our Karma allows us too...

Seth :)

Refuge, to the man, is the mind,

refuge, to the mind, is mindfulness - - the Buddha