Sign in to follow this  
windblown

Falun Gong

Went to a free qigong class at the park today. I really felt the delicious waves of energy and was better afterwards all day. I am trying to heal a shoulder injury. This Chinese lady sat with me and showed me how to do all the moves and she was really sweet with warm brown eyes...so non arrogant like my last sifu teacher. inreally liked it. Afterwards I was invited to a ladies home that spoke english and she talked to me a lot about Li Hoising or something...the founder of falun gong. She had a portrait of him framed in her living room and i got a little nervous. Is this a cult, i asked...she said no....but wasn't overly emphatic. So is it a cult? I bought $30.00 for two used books that they said were new but the aren't. I thought this was strange. And she said they had to stay wrapped in plastic for protection. I read the beginners book which mostly talked about how one would encounter paranormal experiences and how not to get caught up in them. I'm past that sort of stuff. Anyway...wondering if anyone else could tell me if i should get involved with this?

IMO, this is both a difficult and important issue. FLG in terms of Qigong is under-appreciated; there is basic approach which raises easily to a Shengong level; thus which raises it above the average methods. This simplicity is appealing and powerful; It is also the cult attraction.

I *personal* do not think they had political inclinations in their agenda but anything which grows in tremendous assembly is shut down by the chinese government; it was shut down for it's ability to assembly people. They staged a protest in Beijing which showed the central government it's power... Ironic that the central government espoused it's teachings year prior for health reasons.

But, we have to remember one very serious thing: This was a teaching in china for the chinese, who are easily lead to believe some things without regard to investigation. My wife said she was curious as to why so many chinese were caught up in the movement and read the founders books and their is where she found the answer...

happy reading from a chinese perspective... personal or government. :D

The Qigong aspect isn't bad but it basically is a cult, maybe not on the Jim Jones scale but some things aren't right.

I went to a Falun Gong art exhibition a few weeks ago and the way they venerate Li Hongzi is scary, there were numerous paintings depicting him in Christ and Buddha poses and him directing the heavens looking down on us like they think he is a god. When you get into their mythology they basically treat their leader like some sort of supreme being rather than the normal man that he is and believe that he holds the keys to heaven. So I wouldn't buy into that side of things if I were you.

• Like 1

My thoughts ~ Let the 30 bucks go. You did well to seek opinions here.

Li wants to be God. That, for me, says it all. The way i see it, its a simple pyramid business scheme. For a moment, just imagine the movement's bank balance... (pause to reflect) get it? Hence you were duped by having to dish out money for used material which was passed off as new. Look on the bright side... you wont be repeating the same action twice. This is wisdom.

Sign in to follow this