Sign in to follow this  
Harmonious Emptiness

General discussion is not Off Topic

I'm thinking that philosophy is intimately linked to politics and culture and other things such as the use of resources, relationships between people of different beliefs, healthcare...I guess if I continue I'll end up becoming more "general" than the general discussion:-) Anyway, why bother with philosophy if it's not really part of your concrete living experience? If you're going to be a non-dualist for example then why make distinctions between spirituality and politics or the economy or any "thing" else? I don't think I know the answer.

I think you already have the answer and it is within this post.

I do have the Tao of Politics (Masters of Huainan), maybe should start a topic regarding Taoist Political theory. The Wen Tzu is also really interesting on these topics.

Cheers.

That's an interesting thought.

I would be interested in a thread/series of threads regarding that.

I've been following alot of rules in my life, no harm done if these forum got some rules. I woulden't personally mind, even though others would, I'm sure. At some point I too wondered wether I should actually post allot of my topics on OFF-Topic, simply because only a few were commenting on specific chapters or texts from Tao te Ching. Even though alot of my thoughts are inspired by Tao Te Ching, it is not directly related to it.

I think I read somewhere that we could just post almost anything on the general discussion of Tao Te Ching, because TTC adresses almost everything in life. Just the first chapter alone makes it possible to talk about the relationship between peanutbutter and pencils, because the concepts can be so broadly applied. If some clear limits, as to what you can and can not post, will be accepted amongst the masses here I would abide by those rules. There just doesn't seem to be any at the moment...

To me it seems like this is ALL-topics, but the community decides what they are interested in. So if you do not speak from their frame of reference, you will not get much replies. For example, a race car driver can speak technical terms and use race driver language to describe his spiritual difficulties here. He will receive no attention at all, for no one can relate to such language. Thus the limits on these forums are decided by the community themselves. We all form the reality here, together. I think that is pretty much in tune with the Tao. So extra rules are needed perce. I can only abide by the laws of nature for eternity, the rest are temporary rules :P

I've been following alot of rules in my life, no harm done if these forum got some rules. I woulden't personally mind, even though others would, I'm sure. At some point I too wondered wether I should actually post allot of my topics on OFF-Topic, simply because only a few were commenting on specific chapters or texts from Tao te Ching. Even though alot of my thoughts are inspired by Tao Te Ching, it is not directly related to it.

I think I read somewhere that we could just post almost anything on the general discussion of Tao Te Ching, because TTC adresses almost everything in life. Just the first chapter alone makes it possible to talk about the relationship between peanutbutter and pencils, because the concepts can be so broadly applied. If some clear limits, as to what you can and can not post, will be accepted amongst the masses here I would abide by those rules. There just doesn't seem to be any at the moment...

To me it seems like this is ALL-topics, but the community decides what they are interested in. So if you do not speak from their frame of reference, you will not get much replies. For example, a race car driver can speak technical terms and use race driver language to describe his spiritual difficulties here. He will receive no attention at all, for no one can relate to such language. Thus the limits on these forums are decided by the community themselves. We all form the reality here, together. I think that is pretty much in tune with the Tao. So extra rules are not needed perce. :P

To me it seems like this is ALL-topics, but the community decides what they are interested in. So if you do not speak from their frame of reference, you will not get much replies. For example, a race car driver can speak technical terms and use race driver language to describe his spiritual difficulties here. He will receive no attention at all, for no one can relate to such language. Thus the limits on these forums are decided by the community themselves. We all form the reality here, together. I think that is pretty much in tune with the Tao. So extra rules are needed perce. I can only abide by the laws of nature for eternity, the rest are temporary rules :P

yeah, I can see how the title of this thread might seem a bit authoritarian, but was meant to be a "reminder", though the word was neglectfully omitted from the title.. just to keep within the reasonable bounds that I would say it still was.

Really, if the stuff that would be posted won't draw discussion in Off Topic then I hope it does appear in the GD, preferrably... prefaced with a verse from the Tao Te Ching to encourage a philosophical treatment of it...

Sign in to follow this