diagons

[ East + West ] - A Postulate for Bipolar?

Hey guys.... a longtime friend of mine w/ an affective/schizotypal disorder sent this to me the other night...

pulsatilehemisphericbal.png

He has been proactively working on his health from both a nutritional and a meditative perspective for a long time now, (keeping himself on the road of everyday life better than many others I've known who are "in perfect health" in my opinion!) ... while also discovering things about himself (being very observant by nature)... and perhaps humanity as a whole.. that I think maybe not everyone would quite have the chance to notice because they don't have the issues to show them how things are when they're "off" (like in the western sense)... He and I have kept in touch for a while, on the rare occasions when we talk... he's perfectly normal and not delusional or anything like that, just kind of flat/uninspired if you talk in real life, though you can rarely ever tell just hanging out heh. So it's not some crazy theory or obsession.. just kind of an idea he said he noticed lately and wanted to get down on paper.

Basically ...I suppose it's like.. a possible explanation for hemisphere switching issues..? He says it's from consistent results he has felt himself (and admits that it might be incorrect labeling..) but wanted to pass on to others to see if there would be some validity or merit in it.

So I looked at it and was a bit dazzled at first, being fairly knowledgeable in this stuff myself... but not quite to the scope where I could verify it or discuss much.. and I thought I'd spread the word in some places, like some of the genius minds here! Feel free to do the same if you wish, just post the picture around....get in touch with me at [email protected] if anything, or just sign up on here and join the discussion!! I'll try to pass on the word or any questions when I chat with him next week.....

-Dia:]

Edited by diagons

I don't have any info that speaks to this exactly, but

your friend might be interested in the following thread since he recognized the importance of endocrine health to his condition:

Chakra Nutrition:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/19683-chakra-nutrition/page__p__278116__fromsearch__1entry278116

It is from a hard to find book (pre amazon.com at least..) that talks about the specific minerals and vitamins that each gland needs to function properly, so he might find some dietary things in there that he could add to his personal health regimens. These vitamins and minerals don't necessarily stimulate the glands like herbs, but provide the basic nutrition that they need to function.

H.E.

Ah... well, those minerals are helpful in rare cases of deficiency.. and definitely supportive of respective glands.. but let it be noted that they are also very broad in spectrum.. so just taking one mineral as a co-factor for hormones of a certain gland you're trying to support in this nutritional way might have adverse effects elsewhere. : D

I've studied a lot on this side of things, and must admit I have a rather jaded/critical perspective after all of it haha.. forgive me for that. Butit was still noteworthy!

Thanks anyway.. maybe someone else can chime in on this OP ?? ---^ I myself am baffled.. lol!

Edited by diagons

Ah... well, those minerals are helpful in rare cases of deficiency.. and definitely supportive of respective glands.. but let it be noted that they are also very broad in spectrum.. so just taking one mineral as a co-factor for hormones of a certain gland you're trying to support in this nutritional way might have adverse effects elsewhere. : D

I've studied a lot on this side of things, and must admit I have a rather jaded/critical perspective after all of it haha.. forgive me for that. Butit was still noteworthy!

Thanks anyway.. maybe someone else can chime in on this OP ?? ---^ I myself am baffled.. lol!

This is true, however, that is why I didn't put in many specific minerals but rather foods that contain all of the minerals needed plus more, in addition to the vitamins that are also mentioned for each.

Well there's a drawing of the caduceus in the diagram. I didn't understand what the thumb was about (maybe the acupuncture people will come up with something). My own 'feeling' about ida and pingala is that they're the parasympathetic and sympathetic response/systems and a bit more reading and meditation practice lead to me to consider that they're never both entirely 'off' or 'on' but function together.

In 'normal' people in 'normal' situations (hahahahaha, if there is such a thing;-)) I figure the degree to which they're active at any given time reflects the overall situation the person is in and this includes their own perception of the situation as well as their response to it and their response to that response (talk to people about panic attacks and they will tell you they know there's no reason but they still feel like they're going mad/going to die). It's a feedback loop.

However, I also wonder if there are 'overall' situations in which either or possibly even both of them are full bore. This sort of thing has been referred to in some kundalini writing (but I digress). Given that homeostasis is the desired destination for the body, I could take a leap and suggest that this 'hemisphere switching' stuff, hell, even the schizophrenia could be a 'natural' attempt at regaining balance. So by 'going mad' your friend is actually trying to 'get sane'.

Edited to add: Wikipedia

Check out the red and blue diagram :-)

Edited by -K-

Oh, it occurred to me that the thumb stuff in the picture is a "mudra" of some kind.

Also that you could get in touch with Tao Semko who seems to know his way around this stuff.

If you want a TCM model of it, I'm sure the TCM folks will weigh in at some point:-)

Oh, I asked about those...he says the thumb asterisk was just an eye-catching place to put a written note, and has no relation to the actual mudra being shown or anything... those were just pics found on the internet to illustrate the point...

On which note, the Caduceus (!!! haha) or what looks like one in that picture, is definitely not meant as one.. it is in fact nothing but a silly water-sprinkler that he photoshopped onto the corpus callosum area.. to illustrate how the hemispheres switch off listening<>talking to each other in this function, I guess... but it wasn't meant to illustrate a caduceus. Enlarge the pic and read the right section.... weeiiiird, but still, rather intriguing. :D :D

The reality of Ida and Pingala perpetually baffle me... the right hemisphere is more correlated with the sympathetic, and the left with parasympathetic... wouldn't that be backwards? (I guess the parasympathetic is "cooling" if you think inhibitory.. but actually, it WARMS the body temperature... so it could be WARMING. Can someone ring in with some disambiguation there...

Anyone?

Edited by diagons