Sign in to follow this  
ChiDragon

Abdominal Breathing

Those who reached the abdominal breathing level, regardless of what type of Chi Kung:

1. Did you have a health problem before you practiced Chi Kung...???

2. Was it hard for you to reach the level of abdominal breathing...???

3. How long did it take you to do abdominal breathing...???

4. Did you see any improvement in your health after years of practice...???

Let me start with my own breathing history. I had a breathing problem when I was a teenager. My breaths were so shallow. I cannot even finish a sentence with one breath. Therefore, I took Tai Chi lessons, the Yang style 108 movements. I was told not to concentrate on my breathing as a beginner, but just do the movements and let them guide my breath. After years of practice, my breaths get deeper progressively down to my abdomen. Abdominal breathing is the highest goal that a Chi Kung practitioner wants to achieve. Then it will become a natural habit in ordinary breathing. Just breathe like a baby.

The goal of abdominal breathing has been reached. Now, I can complete one sentence with one breath and with extra breaths left. Now, I can sing like a tenor with a full vocal range. My body has a tremendous strength to do my daily chores. My reflexes are swift and fast. I can catch a falling object from the table before it reaches the floor. It was just a normal reaction without thinking which might cause hesitation. Also, I can shop up a chicken, in five minutes, in an orderly serving fashion on a plate. My reaction are much quicker then an ordinary person. :)

• Like 1

2)I started my qigong practise during my illness, and I started actually with the practise of abdominal breathing sitting on a chare, accoriding to Mantak Chias first book. Yes it was extremely hard for me to even do ten abdominal breaths. My breathing was severe restricted, from a period of my life with huge stress. I succecively learned to breath more and more abdominals. I tried to reach about 20 and did so afterr a mounth or so , but I was totaly echausted when reaching that many. I was also sweating alot and there was an uncounsious resistance that tryed to stop me from going on, so I found myself doing this ower and ower again: I had an intention to sit and breath for instance 20 breaths this day during one seat, but already after 5 breaths I found that I raised from the chair for any reason I could found, and this happened repetedly many times.

FD...

The reason I posted thread was because I had noticed that some of the people were doing the abdominal breathing incorrectly. My intent here is not to criticize someone's breathing method but to corrected it as I see fit.

I had practice Taiji for more the thirty years. Then I switched to Chi Kung for simplicity. By your description of doing your abdominal breathing was not quiet correct, that was why it was extremely hard for you to even do ten abdominal breaths. You were totaly exhausted when reaching 20.

The problem you are having was because you were fighting your breathing in a very unnatural way. May I recommend you do the following.

1. Do not count how many times of breathing because that will make you loose concentration.

2. You just close your eyes and look down toward the tip of your nose. You just relax and breathe as slow as you can and deep as you can. Don't even think about that you are doing abdominal breathing. Just let the breath stop where ever it can until you are very comfort without any dizziness. You just have to let your breath go down slowly, until one day, reaches your abdomen. Another word, in the meantime, do not force your breath down to your abdomen.

Remember, your breath must go down from your nose, throat, chest then abdomen. Do not skip or force your breath from throat to abdominal, literally speaking. Your breath only goes into your lungs but the abdomen. Abdominal breathing was only a description that your lungs were full of air at the highest capacity.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

FD...

The reason I posted thread was because I had noticed that some of the people were doing the abdominal breathing incorrectly. My intent here is not to criticize someone's breathing method but to corrected it as I see fit.

I had practice Taiji for more the thirty years. Then I switched to Chi Kung for simplicity. By your description of doing your abdominal breathing was not quiet correct, that was why it was extremely hard for you to even do ten abdominal breaths. You were totaly exhausted when reaching 20.

The problem you are having was because you were fighting your breathing in a very unnatural way. May I recommend you do the following.

1. Do not count how many times of breathing because that will make you loose concentration.

2. You just close your eyes and look down toward the tip of your nose. You just relax and breathe as slow as you can and deep as you can. Don't even think about that you are doing abdominal breathing. Just let the breath stop where ever it can until you are very comfort without any dizziness. You just have to let your breath go down slowly, until one day, reaches your abdomen. Another word, in the meantime, do not force your breath down to your abdomen.

Remember, your breath must go down from your nose, throat, chest then abdomen. Do not skip or force your breath from throat to abdominal, literally speaking. Your breath only goes into your lungs but the abdomen. Abdominal breathing was only a description that your lungs were full of air at the highest capacity.

Hello. That description of mine was for ower 10 years ago when I just started my practise. I am quite aware of everything you did write above. Not saying that I not can learn more, just telling I have developed during the last 10 years. Today I quite naturally breath into the stomach and also the back is expanding and also the sides, from time to time it also feels like the whole body is expanding, even down to the feet and up to the head sometimes, when I practise more dilligently.

Today no sweating no hardship with my abdominal breathings. Perhaps somethimes when I have a wery stressful period, but it loosen up automatically, and just the abdominal breathing is particularly helpful for this, in my case.

FD

FD

• Thanks 1

It seems like you have reached the ultimate goal of Chi Kung. Just make it your normal breathing habit then you got it made. :D

By abdominal breathing, i hope this means no longer breathing air conventionally and and only experiencing womb breathing?

If so, I can only say that it happens to me spontaneously after the mind is ultimately quiet, serene and forgotten. I also experience breathing through the heels, but it doesn't seem any different. It just happens of its own accord by forgetting mind. I hope that provides an insight.

On 07/06/2011 at 6:09 AM, ChiDragon said:

Those who reached the abdominal breathing level … 

There never was a time that I did not have abdominal breathing.

… health …

Also always, knock on wood, excellent health. :)

Edited by Cobie
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this