ChiDragon

Serious Digestive Condition

Reply to Bendowa...

"My primary objective is health. For the past half decade I've been struggling with a serious digestive condition, which has psychosomatic components, that I believe can be addressed via spiritual development of the nervous system. My progress has thus far been limited mainly be injuries (for example,currently rehabbing a knee injury that limits tai chi, standing and sitting), time (have a job/career that demands the majority of my waking hours and energy), and self-pacing to remain grounded -- I find pushing too hard in any of these directions tends to be counter-productive, so am working on finding a steady pace of gentle opening and integration.

So... who do I talk to about getting a practice journal? ;-) "

You may practice sitting Chi Kung by concentrate on your breathing. Breathe slowly, expend your abdomen during inhalation and suck it in during exhalation. This abdominal breathing will massage your digestion system to help indigestion and prevent constipation.

At the beginning, abdominal breathing is not easy. It is better to breathe progressively form shallow to deep breathing until the abdomen can be fully expanded. It may take a little time to accomplish this. In the long run, it will improve your health tremendously.

Thanks for the welcome. I have practiced Tai Chi for many years and then Tai Chi Qigong. I studied the Yi Jing and Tao Te Ching to learn all about the yin-yang concept. Since from practicing Chi Kung which gave me a tremendous of body energy, I have been trying to integrate the Chi Kung concept with the western modern science by studying physiology and the function of the human body. I have a great advantage of looking into two sides of the world, for my research, due to my bilingual capability.

I have realized that no matter what kind of Chi Kung or any kind of martial arts do have something in common: breathing and muscle contraction. By knowing the this two things, one can do all kind of body movement will give you the same health effects.

It that what you would like to know....??? :)

Reply to Bendowa...

You may practice sitting Chi Kung by concentrate on your breathing. Breathe slowly, expend your abdomen during inhalation and suck it in during exhalation. This abdominal breathing will massage your digestion system to help indigestion and prevent constipation.

At the beginning, abdominal breathing is not easy. It is better to breathe progressively form shallow to deep breathing until the abdomen can be fully expanded. It may take a little time to accomplish this. In the long run, it will improve your health tremendously.

Appreciate the input ChiDragon. I've recently started working with BK Frantzis' "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" and am really connecting with it. I think it's exactly what I need to be working on at the moment. I've been practicing Soto Zen for a few years so I'm no stranger to abdominal breathing, but his Longevity Breathing technique takes things to a whole new level! I'm working on expanding and contracting my sides during the in/out breaths, which is not something that had occurred to me to focus on before. I'm finding that I can maintain a 20 second breath fairly comfortably, and a 30 second breath isn't too great of a stretch, so maybe I'm not too far off (and all those hours of wall gazing weren't a complete waste of time, lol).

Your research sounds very interesting--do you mind if I ask what in particular you're investigating?

I'm finding that I can maintain a 20 second breath fairly comfortably, and a 30 second breath isn't too great of a stretch, so maybe I'm not too far off (and all those hours of wall gazing weren't a complete waste of time, lol).

Your research sounds very interesting--do you mind if I ask what in particular you're investigating?

Bendowa...

It's hard to time your breathing at the beginning; why don't you just breathing like you normally do and increase the time progressively. The idea is not to force yourself to do something that you are not accustomed to. In your case, just do a 18 second breathing for a while until you are really comfortable with it, then do 19, 20, 21...30 second progressively.

FYI

For my research, you may read the article from below to get an idea. From this article, if you click "See all Articles by James", then you can see the rest of my articles.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Scientific_Explanation%20.html

I was practicing the Yang style Tai Chi Quan and Tai Chi Qigong(Chi Kung). Tai Chi Qigong also known as Tai Chi Kung(Gong) for short. Tai Chi Quan is the basic form for a beginner to start with. After a long period of practice, when the breathing level had reached the abdominal level. Then, go to the next level which is Tai Chi Kung.

In the practice of Tai Chi Quan, the arm and leg movements are significant and breathing is secondary. It is because the movements will guide the breathing from shallow to deep until it reach the abdomen. In general, the abdomen was referred as the dan-tien. In modern term is called abdominal breathing at this stage of the practice. The Chinese called that as the Chi(breath) sunk to the dan-tien which is really abdominal breathing.

After the abdominal breathing was attained, then do the Tai Chi Kung. Tai Chi Kung involves more in breathing to guide the movements of the body. In Tai Chi Quan the arms and legs are relax while doing the movements and breathe naturally. As in Tai Chi Kung, the strength were applied to the arms and legs while performing abdominal breathing. This will solidify all the muscle in the body during inhalation which make you the strongest person in the world at that moment. During exhalation, you will relax all your muscles, then you would be the weakest at that moment.

Tai Chi Quan also builds up your muscle tone and increase the speed of the reflex after a long period of time. Tai Chi Kung will increase your muscle tone even greater with more body strength. You can almost lift up more weights and hold it a lot longer than before. At this time, you have to be careful who and how you touch somebody. You must learn to control your own strength with your mind.