Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I'm contemplating walking to work

I was thinking of walking to work two or three times a week. The only problem is that it is a little over seven miles each way. I do walk at a very brisk pace, so I'm wondering how long it would take me. Is there anyone else here who does anything comparable to that?

I was thinking of walking to work two or three times a week. The only problem is that it is a little over seven miles each way. I do walk at a very brisk pace, so I'm wondering how long it would take me. Is there anyone else here who does anything comparable to that?

I find 4 miles an hour to be a brisk pace walkwise. You probably have between 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Try it or see if you can hitch(or cab) a ride there somehow and walk back after work.

3-4 miles per hour is pretty brisk, I agree, 7 miles should be about an hour and half to two hours.

Maybe walk it on a Saturday as a test run, and see how it goes. . . .

Do you happen to own a bicycle? I thinking riding a bike makes more sense from a time standpoint. You could certainly ride your bike 15 miles per hour depending on the type of bike and the terrain.

• Like 1

I don't own a car, nor do I want one. It seems unecessary to me. I generally walk, If i have somewhere to to go and I am tired or it is far, I'll take the bus or ride a bike.

Paying to sit on my butt to get from point a to point b faster and lazier isn't of really much benefit to me generally. I enjoy the journey.

If you have a strenous job and are doing it for environmental concerns, you may also consider car pooling.

For instance, I had a job that I had worked at 10 hours a day throwing and paletizing boxes, and loading them on semi's. At the end of the day I was beat, and my feet were sore. (steel toes boots that didn't fit well)

It was way less than a mile, probably only a quarter mile away, but after a couple weeks of doing it, my body became more accustomed to it. My feet didn't become sore throughout the day, and the extra exercise made a difference in my body as well as it became stronger.

Walking is one of my joys, there is so much to see that would be missed while driving a car.

Sign in to follow this