Sign in to follow this  
Seth Ananda

Neigung styles and teachers?

Ah well back to Seth

Try them

I owned in the past

Johnson, Jerry Alan (1994). The Essence of Internal Martial Arts (Volume 1) (First ed.). Ching Lien Healing Arts Center. ISBN 9781885246004.

Johnson, Jerry Alan (1994). The Essence of Internal Martial Arts (Volume 2) (First ed.). Ching Lien Healing Arts Center. ISBN 9781885246011.

You find their a vast information of different things Jerry found.

He mostly talk about Bagua Zhangs Inner training methods for the animals,

like smashing tofu in water with hitting the water.

Interesting was the I Chuan Chapter about standing practise, which teach a whole

set of standing and ball holding to open up the body before using the Mind/Yi

to move them.

I owned the Xing Yi Nei Gong by Dan Miller in the Past.

And found it well for Martial Application like the biomechanic but not really for

energy cultivation, opening channels and nourishingm there is more about presenting history and the build up of Xing Yi.

i own these books currently. JAJ has the best material, but it's not the easiest stuff to fully digest without a teacher or at least a highly competent partner to keep you on-task before jumping ahead too soon.

i own the Xing Yi Nei Gong book as well as the DVD that Miller produced. good disciplined training regimen, but nothing special that you can't get elsewhere.

B.K. Frantzis and Jerry Alan Johnson are your best bets, methinks.

you and i have such similar backgrounds in our spiritual pathwork that it's almost scary! :lol:

i really think you'll get the most mileage out of Frantzis and Johnson, but especially Johnson. Johnson's books aren't easy to find and might even be a little pricey, but i'm sure i could help you out if necessary.

i personally think that Kosta Danaos kinda ruined the definition of neigung, and now everyone who's teaching something that's on a higher level than health maintenance wants to appropriate the term. it's almost better to abandon the term when searching for the material you're looking for.

Clyman's a jerk. his techniques work, but they're nothing special unless you lack vision. his techniques can be found scattered across a dozen or so sources, few of which will be labeled as neigung. but if you can only recognize a technique's value by its label, well,... Clyman's overpriced and his techniques are unnecessarily fiery. i'll eventually own and catalog his videos too, but i refuse to pay his ridiculous prices.

we should totally talk.

i own these books currently. JAJ has the best material, but it's not the easiest stuff to fully digest without a teacher or at least a highly competent partner to keep you on-task before jumping ahead too soon.

i own the Xing Yi Nei Gong book as well as the DVD that Miller produced. good disciplined training regimen, but nothing special that you can't get elsewhere.

B.K. Frantzis and Jerry Alan Johnson are your best bets, methinks.

you and i have such similar backgrounds in our spiritual pathwork that it's almost scary! :lol:

i really think you'll get the most mileage out of Frantzis and Johnson, but especially Johnson. Johnson's books aren't easy to find and might even be a little pricey, but i'm sure i could help you out if necessary.

i personally think that Kosta Danaos kinda ruined the definition of neigung, and now everyone who's teaching something that's on a higher level than health maintenance wants to appropriate the term. it's almost better to abandon the term when searching for the material you're looking for.

Clyman's a jerk. his techniques work, but they're nothing special unless you lack vision. his techniques can be found scattered across a dozen or so sources, few of which will be labeled as neigung. but if you can only recognize a technique's value by its label, well,... Clyman's overpriced and his techniques are unnecessarily fiery. i'll eventually own and catalog his videos too, but i refuse to pay his ridiculous prices.

we should totally talk.

JAJ seems to have a huge amount of knowledge, but some of his books, like the one on mudras, are *really* overpriced and totally devoid of overt instructional material- I ran into one of his students years ago who felt that JAJ was opening energetic doors with some students that they couldn't handle.

Clyman has abilities and power, but his stuff is fairly expensive - a fellow I know (fairly large, over 200lbs) went to visit Clyman a few years back and got rocked when he asked for a power demo, he said he actually got lifted off the floor when he got punched, wish I could have witnessed this - Since Clyman is a disciple of Waysun Liao, so you might get some basic info by checking Liao's material.

R

Edited by rsalazar

JAJ seems to have a huge amount of knowledge, but some of his books, like the one on mudras, are *really* overpriced and totally devoid of overt instructional material- I ran into one of his students years ago who felt that JAJ was opening energetic doors with some students that they couldn't handle.

Clyman has abilities and power, but his stuff is fairly expensive - a fellow I know (fairly large, over 200lbs) went to visit Clyman a few years back and got rocked when he asked for a power demo, he said he actually got lifted off the floor when he got punched, wish I could have witnessed this - Since Clyman is a disciple of Waysun Liao, so you might get some basic info by checking Liao's material.

R

I thought the whole "Temple Tai chi" thing along with Waysun Liao was all made up or at least questionable?? A quick google brings a up a few not so favorable posts on various forums. That's not to say that Clyman may or may not have skills, just a question as to how and where he got them...

Edited by robmix

Hi everyone.

I have been wondering for a while about the different Neigung schools out there.

Hi Seth Ananda, you can read good materials presented by the Wu-Liu Pai Tao Golden Elixir School on the site www.all-dao.com

Best Regards

I thought the whole "Temple Tai chi" thing along with Waysun Liao was all made up or at least questionable?? A quick google brings a up a few not so favorable posts on various forums. That's not to say that Clyman may or may not have skills, just a question as to how and where he got them...

Hey Robmix,

Yeah, good question, I really don't know the whole story behind his background - I'd love to visit Clyman at some point, I'd love to hear more from anyone that has visited him.

R

yes, this happens. it's one of the hazards of teaching high-level arts. not every student will graduate. that's just how it is. good teachers minimize the fall-out, but there are bound to be a few casualties if the work is really sensitive.

i agree that SOME of his books are not instructional, and actually, it's for the very reason you just highlighted. :lol: he doesn't make the mystical stuff totally instructional so that just anybody can grab the books and get themselves into trouble potentially. he writes moreso to preserve the information. but that's the zheng yi taoist mysticism stuff. his two internal martial arts books are QUITE good, and they helped me reach higher levels in my own development.

yeah, in case you didn't know, i got a crush on JAJ! :blush:

R

Waysun Liao is a real master, and if i remember correctly, he doesn't acknowledge Clyman as a disciple. i get that Clyman has some skill, but that doesn't win him very many points with me. Clyman is unbalanced in his practices, and he sells it like it's a virtue. i wouldn't put him in the same league as JAJ. and if you do your due diligence in your studies, you are bound to come across all the techniques that Clyman employs. shifting balance, breath pressures, visualizations/directing with intent, breathing in and out of specific parts of the body, tension/relaxation. whatever.

i applaud Clyman's work ethic for sure, but his scope is very, very limited, and he comes across as a jerk who drinks way too much coffee. there are people in this forum who impress me far more than Clyman. but i guess it's just a question of what you're looking for.

• Like 2

I also met such a student, very unbalanced, who said JAJ had a lot of students not keeping up and suffering practice indigestion. Actually, for a very good student this could be a clue that it is a good practice, self selecting. Conversely it could be red flag signalling someone here who doesnt know how to pace his students. Possibly as ever, rather than one thing being true, likely both are true.

• Like 2

yes, this happens. it's one of the hazards of teaching high-level arts. not every student will graduate. that's just how it is. good teachers minimize the fall-out, but there are bound to be a few casualties if the work is really sensitive.

i agree that SOME of his books are not instructional, and actually, it's for the very reason you just highlighted. :lol: he doesn't make the mystical stuff totally instructional so that just anybody can grab the books and get themselves into trouble potentially. he writes moreso to preserve the information. but that's the zheng yi taoist mysticism stuff. his two internal martial arts books are QUITE good, and they helped me reach higher levels in my own development.

yeah, in case you didn't know, i got a crush on JAJ! :blush:

Waysun Liao is a real master, and if i remember correctly, he doesn't acknowledge Clyman as a disciple. i get that Clyman has some skill, but that doesn't win him very many points with me. Clyman is unbalanced in his practices, and he sells it like it's a virtue. i wouldn't put him in the same league as JAJ. and if you do your due diligence in your studies, you are bound to come across all the techniques that Clyman employs. shifting balance, breath pressures, visualizations/directing with intent, breathing in and out of specific parts of the body, tension/relaxation. whatever.

i applaud Clyman's work ethic for sure, but his scope is very, very limited, and he comes across as a jerk who drinks way too much coffee. there are people in this forum who impress me far more than Clyman. but i guess it's just a question of what you're looking for.

Hi Hundun,

Good point, it would be pretty dangerous to put too much into books with regards to mysticism, it can lead to a lot of trouble :)

Yep, JAJ's Essence of Internal Martial arts series is a treasure trove of info, a lot of good stuff.

Clyman's presentation is definitely not for everyone for sure - yeah, it does seem like a lot of coffee is involved with his neigung :)

Cheers,

R

I also met such a student, very unbalanced, who said JAJ had a lot of students not keeping up and suffering practice indigestion. Actually, for a very good student this could be a clue that it is a good practice, self selecting. Conversely it could be red flag signalling someone here who doesnt know how to pace his students. Possibly as ever, rather than one thing being true, likely both are true.

Hi Cat,

Yeah, it's a little scary whenever I hear stuff like this, but I have to remind myself that, as you said, both things are probably happening at the same time.

Cheers,

R

I came across this today on Amazon. Sounds very interesting. I have one of Bisio's other books, "A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warriors", which I thought was quite good.

Nei Gong: The Authentic Classic: A Translation of the Nei Gong Zhen Chuan

"Nei Gong: The Authentic Classic, (Nei Gong Zhen Chuan) is an obscure text of unknown origin, yet it stands alone as the definitive text on internal energy and the generation of internal power. Hand copied, and passed from teacher to student, it is one of the "secret transmissions" of Chinese martial arts. Nei Gong: The Authentic Classic, is a practical manual on internal energy development and its fundamental importance in the martial arts and fa jin (emitting force). It draws heavily on Daoist meditation and alchemical practices which are said to promote health and longevity.

The text is divided into four sections: 1. Nei Gong Jing (Internal Energy Classic); 2. Na Gua Jing (Received Trigram Classic); 3. Shen Yun Jing (Transported Spirit Classic); 4. Di Long Jing (Earth Dragon Classic), which are meant to be read in order. In this way the reader is guided step by step through the details of Nei Gong practice, and in the Di Long Jing, its application to self-defense. Translated by a team of experts, the text is accompanied by extensive footnotes and diagrams that clarify the more obscure passages which otherwise pre-suppose a knowledge of Daoist texts and imagery from the I-Ching (Book of Changes). The appendices further explicate the relationship of Nei Gong: The Authentic Classic to the internal martial art Xing Yi Quan."

Edited by Dainin

Sign in to follow this