starhawk

Chi of a beautiful person

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3145952730483171546#

'Excellent video of poet Robert Bly being interviewed by Bill Moyers in 1990. They discuss what it means to be a man in today's society - the pains of being a man and the things that can be done to heal them.'

Check it out. It doesn't deny that men have a hard time in our culture and leaves you with something deeper than just trying to be positive or learn social skills.

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics

Doesn't matter. It is your perception of your self and who you are that shapes your perception of the world you live in. Statistics are for groups not for individuals. when we say, "get a clue," we are just asking people to be real.

Freud first talked about it but it is by no means a modern concept. We are talking about subjective reality vs objective reality. People get this kinda mixed up and talk in terms of "My truth" vs "your truth." Most of us would like to be liberated from our attachment to living in the subjective world. That's what all the sages tend to talk about. But it can be quite painful to do the process because we start stepping into the unknown.

Subjective reality is created by group consensus even when it is not true or real. The important thing is people think it is real and often will fight to the death to protect this illusion their reality is real. Break the group consensus and you break reality and can create a new reality. The brain cannot tell the difference between what is real and imaginary. It will respond with the same chemicals whether the reality is manufactured or objective. We all experience this daily. Yes we really believe that woman on the monitor is sexually attracted to us. :) I truly am the son of Darth Vader. hehehe...get silly with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

This is our Shadow side which appears in different forms across major spiritual traditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29

If YOU want to know what the real YOU thinks and believes go back to everything or every opinion you wrote about and replace You with I or them or they with me or myself. Doesnt work totally across the board but helps to bring the conversation back to the essence of who you think you are and what you believe is true about yourself and other and not who others are. It's a nice tool of self reflection to use now and then.

See this is exactly what I meant, but you thought I was wrong simply because most likely you think everything I say is wrong.

• Like 1

Starhawk, because you are reacting in the way you are, I am going to react the way I did with Non. You are looking to use me to fuel your negativity. So I will not reply to you or acknowledge you on these boards unless I feel you are acting in a way that is not destructive. I don't wish to invalidate you, but like with Non, I can't lend my energy to hostility. I hope you find peace as well :)

PS- My handle is "Romie" not "Ronie" ;)

• Like 1

See this is exactly what I meant, but you thought I was wrong simply because most likely you think everything I say is wrong.

I was speaking to sloppy not you.

I was speaking to sloppy not you.

so I dont understand why you quoted me then if you were not replying to me...

It's a known fact that ShaktiMama has had issues with working the quotes ;)

But more importantly, Non-

What are your goals?

You only remember posts that validate your own opinion, and have ignored the advice given and questions posed to you in almost all of your threads, saying things like "that's not how it works" or "that won't work for me".

You say that you don't want to be a part of the stupid shit that goes on in society, but every couple of weeks you make a new thread bemoaning the fact that most people are doing stupid shit, and that they won't judge you favorable because you aren't doing the same stupid shit that they are doing.

So what do you want to do? What are your short, medium, and long term goals?

What are you doing now that you LIKE? What are you doing now that you DON'T like? What do you want to change (that it is possible to change)?

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

i made a mistake...it is to you...and my response stills stands. If i didn't understand what you meant, then I didn't understand what you meant.

and sloppy made some excellent points

please review and contemplate on the questions before you start asking new ones. or at least say, I don't want to answer those questions, or _______________________ fill in the blank. You can do what you wish. Continue not answering them. I do not care.

But I wont answer new questions until you at least attempt to answer the old ones.

Otherwise you waste my time....

s

Edited by ShaktiMama

Starhawk, because you are reacting in the way you are, I am going to react the way I did with Non. You are looking to use me to fuel your negativity. So I will not reply to you or acknowledge you on these boards unless I feel you are acting in a way that is not destructive. I don't wish to invalidate you, but like with Non, I can't lend my energy to hostility. I hope you find peace as well :)

PS- My handle is "Romie" not "Ronie" ;)

Hey Romie!

Maybe we got off on the wrong start. After all we are all here to study spirituality, :)

Hopefully we can reset and become friends after all. Peace to your journey

respectfully yours Starhawk

It's a known fact that ShaktiMama has had issues with working the quotes ;)

But more importantly, Non-

What are your goals?

You only remember posts that validate your own opinion, and have ignored the advice given and questions posed to you in almost all of your threads, saying things like "that's not how it works" or "that won't work for me".

You say that you don't want to be a part of the stupid shit that goes on in society, but every couple of weeks you make a new thread bemoaning the fact that most people are doing stupid shit, and that they won't judge you favorable because you aren't doing the same stupid shit that they are doing.

So what do you want to do? What are your short, medium, and long term goals?

What are you doing now that you LIKE? What are you doing now that you DON'T like? What do you want to change (that it is possible to change)?

I was wondering if it would be more helpful to Non to acknowledge that there is indeed a LOT of stupid shit that many people continue to do, all the time? Yeah I know, it's "obviously" a reflection of me, blah de blah :ninja: I have done a lot of stupid shit...confessional over...next :lol:

Then point out that just because all these stupid shit-doers do whatever they do, it doesn't mean Non has to have anything to do with it/them? Doesn't even need to waste time and energy thinking of them (or getting large numbers of TTBers to try to figure out solutions for months on end :lol: Still, it seems to be a hot topic :-))

I guess at some point, Non, your idea about "women" was correct and reflected reality - if only your experience of the women in your immediate family/neighborhood/TV reality. So "why not" take that idea (that was correct) and generalize it to ALL women (or maybe just certain types, I dunno...)? Seems effective...

Effective IF doing that would continue to make sense IF everything in your reality stayed the same your entire life (oh man, imagine being 4 years old forever!) But we know that everything does not stay the same. I haven't worked out yet why one would keep thinking/behaving as if though. And what precipitates change... That would be interesting IMO....But I digress

What I'm trying to figure is a way to make one's ideas more fluid and potentially reflect reality (however local or not it is) better. Not relying on outdated situations ti describe the current ones. Yes I get it.

But it seems to me so far that direct confrontation "non-dualism" style is one way of doing it, but it also seems to be a tough ride as we seem to have a built-in defense of whatever seemed like the best/right idea at the time. And of course! Because it was correct! Is this then the "ego"??

However it would seem that the latter sometimes operates "timelessly" despite conditions having changed (and I mean for better or for worse).

So I guess "systems" that can get around this might do best. Because it's not just a question of "mind". IMO.