Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Twilight Language.

Found several links on this yesterday and so far only two books to my knowledge have been written. The first link is for a book by Roderick S. Bucknell who was studying Buddhism in SE Asia. The second, may be controversial.

Tantric and occult texts are written in a type of code so that only initiates are able to understand. Aleister Crowley admitted that his works were written in blinds.

Any comments?

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Language-Curzon-Paperbacks/dp/0700702342

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Language-Nagual-Spiritual-Shamanic/dp/1591430410

Looks very interesting! What I've found with practice is that lots of "esoteric" symbols start showing themselves off. Another side effect is that things that are ostensibly NOT "esoteric" also start showing signs of it. Seems that us people can't help fiddling with symbols. That part is probably more troubling to me on an everyday level but I'm sure the TTB's with more than decent rhetorical skills are already up to scratch on that stuff.

What might be even more weird IMO is the ways in which adepts (collectively?) decide upon any given symbol (or system of them) and how the latter bleed through into everything else. And who's "in the know" and who isn't? Does not being "in the know" put you at a disadvantage? I've so far considered dharma wheels and post-heaven changes to be more or less balanced (but maybe they're not in reality :ninja:) and include borders around the edges.

At this point, I'll have to say that the middle (being empty) is probably the only thing that I can adhere to with any consistency. Which is pretty pointless :-) I've read some of Crowley's stuff and it reminded me of some tantric practices - or at least I managed to see that in it.

I read a neat book the other day about how the court advisors would inform one of the emperors of his wrongdoings. Instead of criticizing him outright (possible risk of execution) they would write him reports in which very bizarre and unnatural phenomena were recounted, like geese flying backwards. Not because actual geese were flying backwards, but to tell the emperor that he was messing things up. I reckon we've gotten more and more literal as time has passed and forget just how much symbolism we use every day.

Found several links on this yesterday and so far only two books to my knowledge have been written. The first link is for a book by Roderick S. Bucknell who was studying Buddhism in SE Asia. The second, may be controversial.

Tantric and occult texts are written in a type of code so that only initiates are able to understand. Aleister Crowley admitted that his works were written in blinds.

Any comments?

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Language-Curzon-Paperbacks/dp/0700702342

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Language-Nagual-Spiritual-Shamanic/dp/1591430410

I am not trying to be rude but I got the feeling that you were opposing buddhism about a year ago...

• Like 1

I am not trying to be rude but I got the feeling that you were opposing buddhism about a year ago...

Opposing and questioning the misrepresentation of Buddhism, are two different things. Vajraji was grossly distorting Buddhism. The reason I started this thread was to discuss the polysemic language in many texts.

Do you have something to add?

Opposing and questioning the misrepresentation of Buddhism, are two different things. Vajraji was grossly distorting Buddhism. The reason I started this thread was to discuss the polysemic language in many texts.

Do you have something to add?

Nothing to add, no. In my opinion you are on the right track to think that the scriptures have a certain code though. And it's not necessarily because it was meant to be hidden, but merely because there was no direct way of explaining it and even make it available to future generations. So a lot of symbols and metaphors were used. And I thnik misinterpretation is our biggest obstacle in understanding a spritual practice.

Sign in to follow this