mewtwo

go is to taoism as chess is to?

So yeah i love to play go by myself just placing stones down and creating my own universe as such. But I was wondering where does this leave chess? I know that one person here once posted a story about a person hwo played go and became enlightended by it. anything like that in the chess side of things?

Also if you had to connect a religion to chess. what would it be?

<br>So yeah i love to play go by myself just placing stones down and creating my own universe as such. But I was wondering where does this leave chess? I know that one person here once posted a story about a person hwo played go and became enlightended by it. anything like that in the chess side of things? <br><br>Also if you had to connect a religion to chess. what would it be?<br>

I'd recommend reading Josh Waitzkin's book titled "The Art of Learning"...it's a very good read for taobums as well as chessbums :)

I would connect Hinduism to Chess...the religion/culture that gave birth to Chess.

Edited by dwai

I'd recommend reading Josh Waitzkin's book titled "The Art of Learning"...it's a very good read for taobums as well as chessbums :)

I would connect Hinduism to Chess...the religion/culture that gave birth to Chess.

Really? nothing to do with the 64 hexagrams and the yin-yang principle?;)

That is not an established fact. Here is an interesting article outlining how opinions are still divided over the origin of chess.

Also, may I ask what Hinduism is? ;)

Edited by Medhavi

So yeah i love to play go by myself just placing stones down and creating my own universe as such. But I was wondering where does this leave chess? I know that one person here once posted a story about a person hwo played go and became enlightended by it. anything like that in the chess side of things?

Also if you had to connect a religion to chess. what would it be?

...Christianity.

And I would go as far as saying that Go is to Sun Tzu, what Chess is to Clausewitz.

Historically Christianity and chess has flirted for thousands of years (2 thousands). In the west people play chess with death, saints play chess with the devil, and in genera the idea of life is of a battle between good and evil. You even have some central figures in both that once you have lost this the game is lost. You lost Jesus, end of game. You lost the Madonna, end of game.

In Taoism things are more spread out, it's more a war than a battle. Although there are deities, they are not SO important. This because the central ordering principle is the Tao. In Go the Tao is the whole goban. Heaven is in the center, the earth is on the side, and the players go from the center to the side. But also one player represents the light principle and the other the darkness principle.

The only thing that surprises me is that there is so little around about how to use Go to improve meditation, and how to use meditation to improve Go. We know in Japan there was a group of celibate buddhist priests that devoted their life to play go. One of the 4 main school of Go came from them. And after a few generations they were also not celibate anymore. There is also the story of a Go master who would pass the time in brothels, and then once a year he would participate in a Go competition and win, and win big. And then use the money he has won to support himself in the rest of the year. The Li Po of Go ;-).

Probably not much about Go meditation for westerners because it takes a lot to master. I find that people here in the west don't realize it, they are deceived by its simplicity, and don't realize all of the many many mistakes they make while playing that would allow a true master to trounce them in unbelievable ways that they couldn't even foresee coming. :lol:

I think it is starting to gain some popularity though.

Sun tzu art of war go v chess.

What about the other chesses still played today? xiangqi shogi makruk and janggi, if you had to assign a religion to them what would it be?

I am interested in hearing what you guys have to say for xiangqi cause it came from the same place as go china.

Edited by mewtwo

Sun tzu art of war go v chess.

What about the other chesses still played today? xiangqi shogi makruk and janggi, if you had to assign a religion to them what would it be?

I am interested in hearing what you guys have to say for xiangqi cause it came from the same place as go china.

Xiangqi, I find it to be a fun and entertaining game, like chess, but more straightforward. The way the cannons work, and the fact that the general and advisors can't leave the palace makes for interesting and straightforward yet subtle play.

I also like the fact that it's symmetrical, unlike chess which has the king side and queen side.

Edited by aridus

Lot more videos on this as well.

Thank you for this. I really enjoyed it.

Apart the technical game

(it looks like white made some bad strategic choices at the beginning and then had to fight all the time to recover)

I found interesting the idea of the human Go Game, with the two 9 dan players moving a big board of human beings.

Do we have a video of the people big board?

Personally I stopped studying some time ago, when I realized that I did not have the time to become good at both Tai Ji and Go, and realized that my work already forced me to develop my mind, while as time went by tai ji would become more and more important as I got older.

Thank you for this. I really enjoyed it.

Apart the technical game

(it looks like white made some bad strategic choices at the beginning and then had to fight all the time to recover)

I found interesting the idea of the human Go Game, with the two 9 dan players moving a big board of human beings.

Do we have a video of the people big board?

Personally I stopped studying some time ago, when I realized that I did not have the time to become good at both Tai Ji and Go, and realized that my work already forced me to develop my mind, while as time went by tai ji would become more and more important as I got older.

Actually I found both another video on the Human go game:

And some go games commented by Guo Juan.

Guo Juan is a legend here in Europe, she is a 5 dan pro, and very much loved. Her lessons are very funny, and very direct. I met her Prague some years ago.

She also started an online Go school. Unfortunately I asked her if she knew about the connection between Go and meditation, and she did not know. :-(.

By the way, when I met Guo Juan we were at the European Go Congress and there were some strong player coming (also a couple of 9 dan pro, if I recal!), but the most funny was a 6 dan amatorial who was ... 6 years old! So cute! You could see him yawning in front of a game, with his little dog strapped at the feet of the table. And then playing rapidly because the dog had to go pee outside. Playing rapidly, but still winning. LOL!