TheSongsofDistantEarth

Working With Photographs

One very, very powerful but often overlooked way of working with a teacher, guru or realized being is through photographs. One simply makes eye contact with the teacher during meditation, and tries to open, open, open to their energy. One teacher, Swami Rudrananda, or 'Rudi', taught in life with transmission through his presence and gaze. Below is a short video about working with photographs, followed by a link to photographs of Rudi as well as other high beings that one can work with very effectively. I encourage people to try working with a photograph into their daily practice.

Touching. Thanks Songs. :)

Regarding the photographic method, I had wondered about the difference in archival quality photos, if digital is not as good for the eye/brain/transmission. I suspect these photos are 35mm or medium format? Medium format and a good printing paper offer an added transcendent quality to a photo.

[i know art schools are getting rid of their darkrooms these days. Traditional photography is a dying art.]

Interesting. I don't think it would matter energetically, (?) perhaps it's an aesthetic thing rather than energetic?

Rudi_teaching1.jpg

ramana-maharshi.jpgnityananda_sitting.jpgNeem-Karoli-Baba.jpg

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth
  • Like 1

Some teachers seem to exude spirituality:

Sri_Anandamoyi_Ma.jpg

Hazrat-Inayat-Khan.jpg

py_std350-v2.jpg?n=6322

Some continue to do so well into old age:

sri-yuktc3a9swar-and-paramahansa-yogananda.jpg

Yogananda_LastSmile.jpg

A lot can show in a person's face and demeanour, it seems...

• Like 2

Touching. Thanks Songs. :)

Regarding the photographic method, I had wondered about the difference in archival quality photos, if digital is not as good for the eye/brain/transmission. I suspect these photos are 35mm or medium format? Medium format and a good printing paper offer an added transcendent quality to a photo.

[i know art schools are getting rid of their darkrooms these days. Traditional photography is a dying art.]

I'm sure it depends on the person and the subject. :)

Since we are capable of "free association", I don't think that the picture has to be a perfect one. In fact, old, faded, black and white might even work better for some people, because for some that might produce a connection of 'nostalgia'.

That's my theory, anyway.

'Autobiography of a Yogi' was my entrance into Eastern Spirituality , and has served as such for probably many thousands of people.

This picture from the cover of that book was what really drew me in, and I have worked with this photograph in meditation in the way mentioned above.

paramhansa_yogananda_portrait.jpg

• Like 2

'Autobiography of a Yogi' was my entrance into Eastern Spirituality , and has served as such for probably many thousands of people.

This picture from the cover of that book was what really drew me in, and I have worked with this photograph in meditation in the way mentioned above.

Yes, Paramahansa Yogananda was no doubt a very exceptional and inspirational person. A person who truly seemed to embody what he taught.

:)

No, I was thinking more about lines (that are produced with negatives) and pixels (digital). Just wondering if the brain responded any differently.

I don't think it matters. What matters is intent and ability to make the connection on a Shen level. The photo or image is just a jumping off point.