GreytoWhite

Yucatec Mayan Numerology and Meditative Practice Basics

The Yucatec Mayan numerology is very simple to understand as is their method of dividing by zero. I am working on the assumption that everyone here has a basic understanding of high school geometry. The whole Mayan counting system is based on a 20 by 20 grid on an xy axis. Zero is a variable much like x as taught in basic algebra. Zero does not have its own space within this grid as the other numbers do. Zero is the central intersection of the two axes. In Mayan meditation one rotates this visual grid on that point. Working on the z axis or third dimension simply involves rotation of the grid. Visualization of other shapes is a matter of "opening" zero and manipulating the grid. One can add additional grids if needed to expand shapes but typically this is not necessary in order to create shapes as the grid is malleable and the size of the grid spaces is not concrete.

The Mayan philosophy I was taught is very simple. Do what you love, do it the most, do it first, do it right and the rest is easy. One must be able to fly with the mind before one can fly in life. The first sentence is talking about following one's passions. The second sentence mainly involves intense visualization practice in combination with sonic frequency on the note C. Typically this is accompanied by usage of entheogens such as xtabentun, cannabis incense, aged tobacco made into cigars of pre-Hispanic construction, and other native plants.

The physical side of this meditative practice is similar to natural and reverse breathing methods found in qigong. Longevity is not a focus of the culture as their diet, herbal intake, and lifestyles are very similar to high quality external alchemical practice. Dantian utilization is taught at a young age but is mainly applied to things such as manual labor and dance. Yucatecs are not much concerned with fighting. That said, my teacher is a high level practitioner of Shaolin external gong fu, Wing Chun under the lineage of Yip Chun, and Chen taiji under the lineage of Chen Xiaowang. One of his greatest passions of late has been observing the parallels between his culture's teachings and those of the Chinese.

If there is anything more I can expand for you please let me know. I myself have been practicing under these guidelines in combination with the other eclectic practices I have gained knowledge of over the years and find it quite easy to fit in with my neigong, spiritual practice, and Sufi chanting.

• Like 1

The Yucatec Mayan numerology is very simple to understand as is their method of dividing by zero. I am working on the assumption that everyone here has a basic understanding of high school geometry. The whole Mayan counting system is based on a 20 by 20 grid on an xy axis. Zero is a variable much like x as taught in basic algebra. Zero does not have its own space within this grid as the other numbers do. Zero is the central intersection of the two axes. In Mayan meditation one rotates this visual grid on that point. Working on the z axis or third dimension simply involves rotation of the grid. Visualization of other shapes is a matter of "opening" zero and manipulating the grid. One can add additional grids if needed to expand shapes but typically this is not necessary in order to create shapes as the grid is malleable and the size of the grid spaces is not concrete.

The Mayan philosophy I was taught is very simple. Do what you love, do it the most, do it first, do it right and the rest is easy. One must be able to fly with the mind before one can fly in life. The first sentence is talking about following one's passions. The second sentence mainly involves intense visualization practice in combination with sonic frequency on the note C. Typically this is accompanied by usage of entheogens such as xtabentun, cannabis incense, aged tobacco made into cigars of pre-Hispanic construction, and other native plants.

The physical side of this meditative practice is similar to natural and reverse breathing methods found in qigong. Longevity is not a focus of the culture as their diet, herbal intake, and lifestyles are very similar to high quality external alchemical practice. Dantian utilization is taught at a young age but is mainly applied to things such as manual labor and dance. Yucatecs are not much concerned with fighting. That said, my teacher is a high level practitioner of Shaolin external gong fu, Wing Chun under the lineage of Yip Chun, and Chen taiji under the lineage of Chen Xiaowang. One of his greatest passions of late has been observing the parallels between his culture's teachings and those of the Chinese.

If there is anything more I can expand for you please let me know. I myself have been practicing under these guidelines in combination with the other eclectic practices I have gained knowledge of over the years and find it quite easy to fit in with my neigong, spiritual practice, and Sufi chanting.

Hello MithShrike,

Thanks for the article, *very* cool stuff - with regards to the intense viz practice, does this entail exercises such at trataka (candle gazing) or does this school emphasize pure concentration practices to perfect visualization?

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Rene'

Pure concentration is preferable over focus on a material object. When it comes to material objects the Yucatec Mayans were scientists at heart and would observe the properties of such an item and its various methods of function. Visualization is typically set for mindful meditation. That said, there are varied items of focus such as crystals used by highly trained individuals for their purposes. Astral projection, telekinesis, and telepathy are considered very high level skills to be used by those who worked hard at the mental and physical aspects first. Using this perception too early can lead to something similar to "qigong illness" as I most recently experienced.

My first experience with this mind practice led me to be privileged to speak with "gods" and discuss with them my viewpoints on the world. I had to go through further trials here in the lower planes but I was granted a mate and many new friends that I needed. This is not a typical experience. I had been practicing modified bigu for a little over a year, Inner Smile, Macrocosmic Orbit in my neigong practice, used various entheogens and supplements, as well as Baha'i/Sufi meditation to obtain that level of communication in the ethereal. I nearly lost my sanity as this was unexpected and very difficult to communicate to anyone unfamiliar with it. Without the assistance of Baha'u'llah himself I would have died because my brain was overheating. I am a stroke patient and this level of practice was not what I was trying to achieve, rather I was simply adopting the most efficient internal and external practices to heal myself.

The numerical practice was not something I was taught. My teacher gave me the numerology and my mind intuitively used the practice once I understood how it could be applied to visualization. The levels of perception I encountered were enabled by my familiarity with the concepts of high level mathematics and physics as well as my understanding of evolutionary and human biology. The link below speaks of some of what I was able to visualize. This is a very powerful practice and much like anything else of high mind technology posted here I caution those that would use it to do so with the utmost care.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=milnor-abel-prize-2011

To clarify, my teacher did teach me the numerology but never how to practice the visualization. He has since confirmed my knowledge and technique.

What would be an example of an intense visualization?

A seven or eight dimensional shape? It's not really clear to me how one would visualize such a thing.

Zero does not have its own space within this grid as the other numbers do. Zero is the central intersection of the two axes. In Mayan meditation one rotates this visual grid on that point. Working on the z axis or third dimension simply involves rotation of the grid. Visualization of other shapes is a matter of "opening" zero and manipulating the grid.

Is rotating the grid just around one axis or freely around the zero point?

One should give a cylinder space the other a sphere. But still such a "3d shape space" wouldn't be unifrom. Or am I understanding this wrong?

Hello MithShrike,

How has the diet you've seen with the Yucatecs compare with that of tribes like the Tarahumara? I imagine corn is a big focus, but what about other foods such as chia and spirulina? I've been impressed with chia and spirulina in particular and I've been using these as snacks when I don't have time to eat a meal. Do the Yucatec use tonic herbs on a long-term basis like in Chinese medicine?

Is dantian use taught with an emphasis on visualization?

Thanks in advance,

Rene'

Firstly as to rotation around zero. Zero is relative to where you are and where you want to be. It is a pretty handy thing for finding your way. The Yucatecs use it as a universal variable but start the visualization practice with the central intersection. That said, you can rotate the grid from whatever point you want later. Uniformity of space is a non-concern, Yucatecs aren't very anal. If you can warp the grid into the shape you want to achieve, good. I can't explain how to visualize higher dimensional shapes in words. It's still very new to me and quite overwhelming to think about when not in the proper state to enable such practice.

As to the Tarahumara I am not very familiar with their culture but yes maize is a staple as are beans and rice. There is very little consumption of meat, dairy, or wheat by those taught to eat simply. Mayan farmers have rejected genetically modified crops offered to them by multinationals. Eating beef is an occasional thing whereas consumption of fish, poultry, and pork are more regular but still make up a small portion of a meal. Unfortunately with Hispanic influence much has been lost, much has been changed, and much has been kept from the people. The Mayans were not allowed to teach the language openly until 1985 by priestly decree.

The Yucatecs I have encountered do not use tonic herbs on a long term basis as their health is quite exceptional overall as long as they are diligent. There is a regular, moderate enjoyment of things such as rum, tobacco, and coffee. The main focus of the Yucatecs I know is to enjoy life as much as possible. They do use native herbs and preparations when sickness is at hand and they have a very well established tradition of spinal and soft tissue manipulation. Long term usage is typically described as limited to the elders to allow them to maintain a state which enables their communication and abilities on the higher planes. My teacher sends his wife to a Chinese medicine practitioner when she is ill as he is unable to import much of the native plants necessary to make what he knows is effective.

The visualization practice is not something most Mayans are taught and is typically reserved for the priests and elders. Dantian usage in breathing is taught at a young age and is encouraged as the standard method. My teacher's grandfather instructed him to observe the animals around him and how they breathe as well as to watch people in their sleep. As we are already aware dantian breathing is very good for the health, the Yucatecs have understood this for a long time. As to whether they developed it in any manner similar to the Chinese practices I cannot say as the main applications I have seen and had described typically pertain to dance and manual labor.

Excellent article! Many of us have noticed the intense correlation between traditional Taoist and shamanic practices of the east with those of the Mayans, and we're eager to learn more. If you have any further resources to share with us, it would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

When I said Mayan counting system I was not referring to time. I was referring to their basic arithmetic. We here in the West operate on a decimal counting system. The Mayan calendar like the Gregorian is still bound by observation of natural events and cycles.