NeiChuan

Astragalus, headache to cold

Tried astragalus for the first time in maybe 3 months. It started off with a headache in the back of my head (maybe a 3).

Now its switched over to a cool soothing sensation, but my entire head. Not so much inside though, more the higher regions and the front.

Anyone know what may cause this?

Tried astragalus for the first time in maybe 3 months. It started off with a headache in the back of my head (maybe a 3).

Now its switched over to a cool soothing sensation, but my entire head. Not so much inside though, more the higher regions and the front.

Anyone know what may cause this?

What form did you take it in and in what dosage? I've taken astragalus capsules before and have never noticed any side effects at all. I think the capsules I took were around 500 mg per capsule. Are you taking any other herbs or medication currently? Could be coincidence or could maybe be an interaction with other herbs or medication that you are taking, or could be you took too much, or you could maybe have an allergy to it. Lots of variables... Hard to say. :)

Edited by The Way Is Virtue

What form did you take it in and in what dosage? I've taken astragalus capsules before and have never noticed any side effects at all. I think the capsules I took were around 500 mg per capsule.

It's a 10:1 extraction. It's powder form, I took a tea spoon.

Boiled water then poured it in the cup with the teaspoon of it. The dosage also says a tea spoon.

And no, no other medications.

Edited by NeiChuan

This website

(http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/astragalus-root-astragalus-membranicus.html)

says the following:

"SAFETY ISSUES:

Should not be used to treat acute infections. Use cautiously in patients with hypertension or heat signs. Discontinue use if it causes headache.

STARTING DOSAGE: dried powder

• Dried powder: 1-3 grams per day for long-term use"

Not sure how many grams to a teaspoon of astragalus powder. Maybe a couple of grams per teaspoon, but just guessing. So, if that is in the ballpark, that would seem to be within the daily dosage.

Hm. maybe I'll try half a tea spoon and see if anything changes. I probably don't need much if any I guess then.

I did see alot of results the first time around though.

Edited by NeiChuan

Hm. maybe I'll try half a tea spoon and see if anything changes. I probably don't need much if any I guess then.

I did see alot of results the first time around though.

This website:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/astragalus.htm

states that daily dosages as much as 30g are sometimes used in Chinese herbal formulas. Another website I saw said 2 to 8 grams. It may depend on the form it is in though. The powder may be more concentrated per weight than the dried root. Not sure. The Chinese traditionally uses the herb for various conditions relating to qi difficiency, it seems. I guess you could always try half a teaspoon twice a day and see if that is any better for you.

I downloaded an episode of "Bizarre foods", this episode was from Korea.

Andrew Zimmern went to a sort of TCM restaurant where he had a tea that cleared the sinusses immediately.

Anyone know which herb this could be, specifically?

I downloaded an episode of "Bizarre foods", this episode was from Korea.

Andrew Zimmern went to a sort of TCM restaurant where he had a tea that cleared the sinusses immediately.

Anyone know which herb this could be, specifically?

Im not sure but it could be astragalus.. The first time drinking it,RIGHT after my second gulp of the tea.. I had a large ball of mucus/blood drop onto my tongue, went to the bathroom quickly and spit it out.

For months/years one side of my nose would very often be closed, since then it hasn't.

It could very well be Astragalus, I would only take it under supervision/being diagnosed by a TCM doctor.

Taking any during a fever or sickness can be very very dangerous.

Edited by NeiChuan